Been here a week, OH going home... what to do?

Guest yogiyoung

Guest cougar

Welcome to Aussie, Stay for a while !! see what friends you make, ( they will be good ones )

find a Aussie Fella,

& tell your hubby to get on the plane, If have No Kids so NO WORRIES MATE ..

you will have more friends than you can imagine,,,

what do you do for work, where in Adelaide are you going to stay,,,,

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Beverley
So I'm thinking of heading off to Perth for a week or so from this weekend to try and clear my head, get my strength and energy back and hopefully start to be able to make some decisions about the future.

Have a big favour to ask one of you lovely people please... would anyone be able to store a suitcase of clothes for me? I bought over a huge case, weighs +25kg and i don't want to lug this around with me - not even sure i would get it onto an internal flight to be honest. Just want to stick jeans, flip flops, laptop etc in a small backpack and get on my way.

Appreciate any offers, thanks so much x

Hi, If you havent already sorted storage out you are welcome to drop at my place whilst you are away in Perth. I live in Trott Park opposite Hallett Cove - are you situated South? Cheers Beverley have pm'd my tel nos. for you

Guest yogiyoung

Thanks Beverley, have PM'd you re having a chat. I am in Kurralta Park at the moment, it's off the Anzac highway midway between city and Glenelg.

Guest sandar1

Give me a call you can store it at the shop if you wish. I'm there from 11.30 tomorrow morning my number is 8357 3093. It will do you the world of good getting a break, allow yourself some time to come have a chat and a cup of tea, I'm a good listener.

Sandra

Guest The Dimmocks

Hi Yogiyoung. So sorry to here your news, I can not comment from experience because I have not been in that situation before but from reading peoples comments, I definately agree with all of them. Life is short so give it a go. By looking at how many people have commented it goes to show what great people there are on this site, all of whom sound very willing to make new friends. I hope when we eventually make the move we get to meet some of them! I don't post very often but am on the site twice a day.

All the best in whatever you decide to do.

Michelle

Guest Fancy a Beer
Can't quite believe what I'm about to write in my first post here... but here goes. After 18 months of planning and waiting we finally arrived in Adelaide a week ago. Only for my OH to tell me within 4 days that he didn't want to be in Australia and more importantly doesn't want to be with me either... he's planning on flying home by next weekend, and meanwhile I'm trying to get my head round not only the fact that my world has come crashing down but also decide whether I get that flight back home too...

I know nobody can tell me what to do and I'm not after relationship advice, just practicalities of staying here on my own, knowing no-one... my instinct is telling me to get on that plane but part of me is also wondering if I really should give up on my dream?

Any advice much appreciated and as I say, sorry that my first post makes somewhat depressing reading.

Thanks for reading x

Wow, its very easy for everyone to say what they think not knowing the full details etc, for what its worth why dont you give yourself 4 weeks "holiday" if you like from what you have said you deserve that much!! Then after 4 weeks you will hopefully have a clearer head and have experience of living here to be able to make a decision you wont regret! Why should your dream end because your OH has decided his is dead??

Guest yogiyoung

Finally made a decision - albeit a short-term one - and have booked a flight to Perth leaving Saturday evening. Have also sorted out the suitcase storage so thank you to everyone who offered to help out on that front.

All of your posts have helped enormously, so thank you again for your continued support and I look forward to meeting you in the weeks to come.

Sarah x

Guest mayjess
Finally made a decision - albeit a short-term one - and have booked a flight to Perth leaving Saturday evening. Have also sorted out the suitcase storage so thank you to everyone who offered to help out on that front.

All of your posts have helped enormously, so thank you again for your continued support and I look forward to meeting you in the weeks to come.

Sarah x

Hi Sarah, have a lovely time in Perth, Im pleased you are making plans, keep it up, it`l keep you focussed!

Mayjess

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yogiyoung

Quick update as I have been in Perth almost a week now... time by the beach is definitely helping sort things out in my head, and am glad I took all your advice and didn't book the first flight back to the UK.

So am thinking that I am going to stay in Adelaide, at least for the short-term, and see if I can make a go of things on my own. I know I would kick myself in the future if I didn't at least try - if it works out then great, if not well that's just life I guess!

Am planning on heading back to Adelaide by next weekend. Being by the beach here in Perth has made me realise how much I do want to be by the coast so I'm thinking about looking for a rental / house-share in Glenelg.

While I look around at rentals I want to book myself into a reasonably-priced hotel / apartment / B&B in Glenelg to make sure it is where I want to be. So any recommendations on where to stay please?

So far I'm looking at the Best Western Ensenada Motor Inn on Colley Terrace and also the Comfort Inn Haven Marina. Don't really want to pay more than $120 per night... although the Oaks Plaza is very nice as I stayed there last year, so may be tempted!

Any suggestions would be most welcome and thanks for all your hep again.

And for all those that offered to meet up for coffee, beer and wine - I will be in touch soon to get some dates in the diary!

Sarah x

I'm glad some time away has helped you come to a decision. I think you have made the right choice giving it a go. Enjoy the rest of your time in Perth and safe journey back. Good luck with everything and let me know if you need anything.x

Quick update as I have been in Perth almost a week now... time by the beach is definitely helping sort things out in my head, and am glad I took all your advice and didn't book the first flight back to the UK.

So am thinking that I am going to stay in Adelaide, at least for the short-term, and see if I can make a go of things on my own. I know I would kick myself in the future if I didn't at least try - if it works out then great, if not well that's just life I guess!

Am planning on heading back to Adelaide by next weekend. Being by the beach here in Perth has made me realise how much I do want to be by the coast so I'm thinking about looking for a rental / house-share in Glenelg.

While I look around at rentals I want to book myself into a reasonably-priced hotel / apartment / B&B in Glenelg to make sure it is where I want to be. So any recommendations on where to stay please?

So far I'm looking at the Best Western Ensenada Motor Inn on Colley Terrace and also the Comfort Inn Haven Marina. Don't really want to pay more than $120 per night... although the Oaks Plaza is very nice as I stayed there last year, so may be tempted!

Any suggestions would be most welcome and thanks for all your hep again.

And for all those that offered to meet up for coffee, beer and wine - I will be in touch soon to get some dates in the diary!

Sarah x

Havent posted on this one yet though have been reading. Just wanted to wish you all the very best with your plans, you sound strong and I am sure you will be just fine! Hopefully this will end up to be one of the best experiences of your life!

Take care x

Guest yogiyoung

Sorry guys I've only just spotted the THANKS button... I have a lot of catching up to do on all the posts everyone has sent me previously!!

Guest sandar1

Hey Sarah glad to hear that things going okay, really enjoyed meeting with you. Try the Sea Wall Apartments, guy who owns it Alan is a Pom great guy, tell him that I referred you, he was a friend of my partner Tony who died. For those of you on the site who are from Birmingham, Alan has a back to Birmingham party once a year, not sure when but have been to a couple of them and met some really nice people.

Come by and see me again,

Sandra

Sarah it might even be worth your while to look into a private room at a hostel. Loads of people go that route and in doing so, meet a lot of people. It's a bit less isolated and might be an option to check out while you look for something more perm.

Guest yogiyoung

Oh I did fire off an email to Sea Wall earlier, looks lovely.

And the hostel might be worth a go too - my only concern with that is that I need to get some of my freelance work done, so need a bit of space and could also do with somewhere with wi-fi if possible.. will take a look though.

Thanks

Guest graandjac

:notworthy:thats great news and the right decision in my book , have you thought about the caravan parks with cabins ..? there always up for a deal at this time of year, good luck and your proof that under the sometimes worst circumstances you should stick it out and give it a go...:notworthy:

Guest The Pottertons

Hi Yogiyoung, so pleased you seem to be a little clearer on your plans......i think you are really brave! Good for you! Enjoy Perth! Yvonne x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Brummie

Hi Yogiyoung,

What an arrival in Australia! How are you feeling now? You would have to be a strong person to survive that ordeal. I hope that you are more settled and have made some friends. Are you working now, and have a place to call home. Looks like by the amount of replies you have had there are a lot of people out there who are willing to be friends with you and make the settling in as smooth as possible. I hope that everything will go your way and that you have a great life here in Australia. Don't ever give up on your dream.

Rita

Guest kevm

Wow really sorry to here of you're dillema,seems such a shame that you're OH is prepared to throw the towel in so soon.. my and partner are coming over next week so I've got some idea of the emotional strain that you've both been under.. hope everything works out ok for you what ever the outcome and if you do decide to stay you'd be welcome to join us for a glass or 2 of wine when we arrive...

Guest caroline

I say give it a go, you never know what could happen and it may be the best thing you have ever done! You don't want to go back and be always regreting it