Sign in to follow this  
Guest Emu

Shipping arrived - so far all ok ...

Guest Emu

Our shipping has arrived, it feels like Xmas. As we left in October we kind of forgot what we packed. So far everything arrived in perfect condition.

We had 57 boxes and paid 165 dollars to customs. They only checked a few boxes.

2 with Bric-a-Brac (some treated wood items), the hoover (we had removed the rubbish bag from inside) and the golf clubs.

The clothes need all to be washed, they smell funny and some have a bit of mold, but so far it has come out.

What would I have done different, I would have bought more basic clothes at Primark (Target here is more expensive), should have brought the bed and the mattress. Foam Orthopedic mattresses here cost a fortune compared to the UK.

We did part load, I reckon we used about a tenth of a 20ft container. It was about 2 meters that we used. If we had more stuff I would say that is worth it to pay for a full container and pack it to the brim.

There was lots of stuff we threw away that we had to buy over here. Basic stuff for the house.

We used John Mason.

Guest sandar1

Once again, there has to be some way that posters on here can get together to share containers when they are coming, maybe we could get a new post. We shared a container with our son when we came, and packed it ourself, had it delived to our home in the US and then they collected it when it was full. We hired people to help with the packing, and did a lot ourselves, but it sure saved on the shipping. More work obviously, but you do bring more because you have the time to think what you really want to bring. I had a shipment packed here in OZ (by professional packers) to go to India which turned up on a pallet wrapped in cardboard television face down, doulton china with sewing machine plonked on top. Yet we have had other shipments arrive from India for example where you could have thrown a piece of crystal across the room and not have it break because it was packed to the size of a football with packing. Do get advice however on fumigation, and they do go through things here with a fine tooth comb. Our two shipments arrived here with really nothing broken but a couple of small things thrown in at the last minute. With regards to clothing linen etcetera, go on line check out the availability and pricing of Australian stores and that will help you make decisions regarding the cost of new stuff.

HAPPY MOVING

Guest Emu

Hi, that is a good idea, to share a container, if people can. I paid about half of what people pay for a full container, but only used about a tenth of it (aprox).

Guest Emu

I have a question, has anybody thought that something was MISSING when your stuff arrived? we have the funny feeling that one box is missing, even though we received everything that was on the list, so we wonder if they didn't count one box, when they left our house. Could this be possible? We sure we packed some stuff, that now we didn't receive ...

Guest sandar1

Yes several times we have lost pieces of a shipment, contact them immediately, tell them what you believe is missing in writing, we have been lucky and received items in the past. However, my son's shipment from here has just arrived in the states minus quite a bit of stuff which they know they packed and they are having trouble getting any help from them at all. Must admit the worst shipments we have ever had have been done out of Australia, best were out of India would you believe, very meticulous and you could have thrown the glasses off of a 3 storey building and they would not have broken. The shipment from here arrived with it just sitting on a pallet not even boxed, and the television face down on the palet, with Bob's toolbox plonked on the top. When they took Glen's shipment they picked it up from Victor took it to a warehouse and repacked it, so I guess there was a point there where things could have been taken, they were expensive kids wooden toys some irreplaceable because they were vintage.

Anyway good luck, make sure you follow it up.

Guest Lulujim

Hi - We used John Mason too - our container is due to dock on 12th June - CAN'T WAIT!!!! :jiggy:

Just wondered, did they unpack your stuff for you and take away the boxes? I can't remember what they told us! Thank you,

Alexis