Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dave & Carole

Buying a car/insurance - No address!

Guest Dave & Carole

Wondered if anyone could give us some advice. Do you need to have an address in order to buy a car & get insurance? Beginning to ponder about practicalities if our visa appears. We want to do a bit of exploring before settling into a rental property but wondered if that will make life difficult in terms of buying a car in which to do the travelling.

Guest nishman

You'll have some sort of address - you'll need it for the registered address on the rego and your drivers licence if nothing else (so they know where to send the speeding fines:biglaugh:).

My licence has 3 new address stickers on it from all the moving we've done.

Guest majortom

I only found out a couple of weeks ago that its not compulsory to have car insurance in Adelaide !!!.

You are covered by the cost of the rego, for the "other car" I believe and also Ambulance cover.

i was quite shocked when a colleague at work announced that he hasn't had insurance for the last 3 years.

Guest nishman
    I only found out a couple of weeks ago that its not compulsory to have car insurance in Adelaide !!!.

You are covered by the cost of the rego, for the "other car" I believe and also Ambulance cover.

Note that this CTP (compulsary third party) insurance is a (major) component of the Rego, but only covers medical expenses. Third Party as we know it in the UK is not what CTP covers! CTP will cover the costs of getting the other driver back on his feet, but not the costs associated with repairing his dented Ferrari!

Guest Dave & Carole

Scary - no insurance - far too risk adverse to go down that route!!!!!

Can you use an address where you are staying i.e.friends if necessary? Or do you need to provide proof that you are living somewhere i.e. with a utility bill?