ken&wendy

Shipping costs - Decontamination charge?

Hi, anybody help please?

Our shippers (John Masons) are due here on Monday to wrap and pack - we've just paid their bill but didn't include the £15.00 charge which we can pay to waive any decontamination charges that Australian customs/quarantine may levy.

One of the other shippers who quoted said this was a load of nonsense - it's not down to us to pay cleaning charges ($350-600) and the £15.00 just went to their Christmas fund.

Has anybody actually not paid this money and had to have their container cleaned and if so was it at their expense? Things are expensive enough at this time without paying needless money.

It's hard to know what to believe - what did you lot do?

Wendy:unsure:

(mighty stressed at the moment)

I know of only a couple of people who have had to pay the decontamination charges.

We did pay the insurance. We didn't have to have the outside of ours cleaned, we did have to pay some inspection charges though.

I think you would be unlucky to be honest, and if there is nothing you can do about it now, don't worry. I would imagine it is only a couple hundred dollars anyway.

I think inspection charges are to be expected. (they've got to make some money for their Christmas Party somehow!)

It's not too late yet - Ken reckons we should just pay it. Maybe we should just be safe.

Wendy

Guest GIPSY

Hi

We paid it - it is one less worry and I am willing to pay £15.00 these days for one less worry ;-)

I know what you mean though about extra fees - there are days when all around you people seem to want more and more and there are always added little extras. Part of life though I suppose...

I would pay it and then you won't give it another thought.

Cheers Hayley

Guest Emu

Hi, we paid the £15 as well, we forgot about it and paid for it later. Once our stuff arrived we paid the inspection fees, which were 165 dollars. But as far as I know they didn't do any decontamination. As we didn't have a lot of "dodgy" stuff.

Hi - we're just gonna pay for it too... knowing our luck our container would be the one stopped and decontaminated .... If it was a lot more than £15 think I'd think twice though, but peace of mind at this point in time for us is worth the money!!

I guess you're all right - £15.00 is not a lot to pay for peace of mind these days. Thanks all for your thoughts.

Wendy

Good luck with the stress of it all!! Our stuff goes on the 2nd July and already having sleepless nights worrying about it! Jacinta

Guest kangomik

Is this a fee for the container to be clean, or your contents?

I wouldn't pay for the container to be clean, but your contents is a different matter.

$150 dollar fee is not uncommon, and can relate to items. And note this is for each item cleaned/disposed of.

For example i know someone who had to pay because they could not prove that their fishing gear was ONLY used in the sea.

Tools containg sawdust can result in a fine or the items being destroyed.

Bring golf clubs and most will pay a cost.

Same with bikes if not spotless.

Xmas deccys always get opened.

Don't forget leather bike gear

15 quid sounds cheap to me, i don't think we were offered this.

Your paying over 2K for the container? small amount to cover it.