British birdsong in may

sueoc

Hi,

How i am missing the wonderful spring/early summer chorus from the native birds in the UK,there is nowt like being woken by the beautiful dawn chorus by such as the Blackbird,Song Thrush,the titmouses and the wrens!The evenings are also heaven,man that is priceless.

I can tell you are feeling a bit homesick. I used to miss the bird song too, and misty mornings and dew on the grass. Everywhere is really bright green here in England at the moment and growing like mad. The flowers are out on the horse chestnuts, the lawn is covered in daisies and dandelions (weeds!!) and the verges by the side of the road are growing thick with grass and cow parsley. There are birds everywhere. May is certainly a glorious month, everything looks so fresh this time of year.

I also used to miss walking barefoot on proper grass that is soft and velvety underfoot like a carpet. Australian grass just isn't the same! However as a reality check it was so cold here last summer that the grass seemed to be permanently wet and too cold to walk on!!

The CD of birdsongs is a good idea, but might just make you feel worse! It's a funny old thing homesickness, I did suffer from it when I lived in Australia before and am determined not to let it get to me when we move back, but who knows?

If you are missing things green and lush, why not make a trip up to Queensland? I know it's not the same as England but it's a nice change of scene from Adelaide.

The bluebells look beautiful too but here in stafford it is cold, raining and we're still having coal fires, heating on and the kids still ask for a waterbottle most nights:) my utility bills don't seem to be going down much yet, yesterday you would have thought it was time to start christmas shopping..

Guest graandjac

If you are missing things green and lush, why not make a trip up to Queensland? I know it's not the same as England but it's a nice change of scene from Adelaide. After the rain we are haveing this week you dont need to go anywhere to get green and lush my grass is going to need cutting for the second time this week at this rate and the hills are looking greener by the day;)

Guest Libby1971

If it is bird calls that you are after, pop down to my place.

My dearly beloved went on an auction website and won a clock, a wall clock with pictures of different birds in the place of numbers (can you tell what is coming yet?)

Every hour on the hour, instead of bell ringing or just a gentle clink, we have a bird call. Not just any bird call, or even the same bird call. Nay, we have the bird call that matches the picture. However, all the birds are labelled by their latin name or whatever it is and I have no idea what sort of bird they are.

My dogs were traumatised to start with. I can't believe he not only bid for it, but he won it, AND brought it home, AND then put it on the wall. I just don't know what to say...

Hi,

How i am missing the wonderful spring/early summer chorus from the native birds in the UK,there is nowt like being woken by the beautiful dawn chorus by such as the Blackbird,Song Thrush,the titmouses and the wrens!The evenings are also heaven,man that is priceless.

Plenty of Blackbirds in Adelaide. However why not get to know the sounds and songs of Australian birds, such as the beautiful warble of the magpie song, or the song of the fairy wren, the willie wagtail, the honey eater, the robin, and the chatter of the rainbow lorikeets. There are so many wonderful songs to be heard from native Australian birds, you should go out and take a listen.

Rick. (Wizzywozza's husband)