mickpell

Get along there - Mainline drive-in cinema - Gepps Cross

Last weekend we went along to the drive-in cinema at Gepps Cross to watch Star Trek

We've never been to a drive-in before and can thoroughly recommend it

The screen is huge and the you can either play the sound through your car stereo or listen to it on the little speaker posts next to where you park

Some people had taken table and chairs and sat out the back of their cars wrapped in blankets eating picnics and some kids even sat/lied down on the tops of their parents cars - it was like a scene from the flintstones!!!

even though its autumn the temperature in the car without the heating on was around 19 degs so was fine

its only $20 for a car and there is a canteen to buy sweets, popcorn, chips etc I think they're open wed, thur fri, sat and sun nights

cheap and a good night out and the best thing is you don't have to listen to someone slurping coke and crunching popcorn directly behind you!!!

oh and Star Trek was pretty good as well

Used to be an institution the drive ins. It's great haven't done it for years. The one at Marion is now a swanky housing estate next to the bus depot. Same with the one at West Beach. Good value as you can pay a bit more and watch the next film. There used to be two or three on in one night. You can take your own snacks which makes it cheaper still.

We go to this loads, and earlier in the year the 'tiser was doing vouchers so you could get a car load in for $10. Take your own food and drinks (we always take a bottle of wine too ;) - obviously I make OH drive home so I can have the majority of it!) as the stuff there is a bit pricey - there is a Hungry Jacks just down the road if you want to get take out to take in too! We park the Territory backwards, put the back seats down and all snuggle in the back wrapped up in blankets and duvets with pillows - only problem is with the boot open, it's a bit high so you have to make sure you're not blocking someones view. There are usually two or three films on, you pay depending on how many you want to stay for. Listings here: http://www.yourmovies.com.au/cinemas/?venue_id=245156 just watch out for the red light/speed cameras at the Gepps Cross Junction (seen so many get caught by them) and frequent speed traps on the roads radiating out from that.

Seen lots of parents who take their kids in pjs, watch the family film with them, then tuck them up in the back of the car to sleep while they watch the next one or two more grown up films!

Guest sjs
    We go to this loads, and earlier in the year the 'tiser was doing vouchers so you could get a car load in for $10. Take your own food and drinks (we always take a bottle of wine too ;) - obviously I make OH drive home so I can have the majority of it!) as the stuff there is a bit pricey - there is a Hungry Jacks just down the road if you want to get take out to take in too! We park the Territory backwards, put the back seats down and all snuggle in the back wrapped up in blankets and duvets with pillows - only problem is with the boot open, it's a bit high so you have to make sure you're not blocking someones view. There are usually two or three films on, you pay depending on how many you want to stay for. Listings here: http://www.yourmovies.com.au/cinemas/?venue_id=245156 just watch out for the red light/speed cameras at the Gepps Cross Junction (seen so many get caught by them) and frequent speed traps on the roads radiating out from that.

Seen lots of parents who take their kids in pjs, watch the family film with them, then tuck them up in the back of the car to sleep while they watch the next one or two more grown up films!

Sounds great and thanks for the link!

We had a babysitter one night and I tried to book the Fiesta Moonlight Cinema but I booked it for Melbourne instead of Adelaide! STUPID WEBSITE :unsure:. Couldnt get our money back and as it was the last showing of the season and as Adelaide was full we were stuffed! So this looks like a welcome substitute!

Thanks again