Guest alan smallman

Change of jobs (on a 457)

Guest alan smallman

Hi

It's not going too well where I'm working at the mo. Hardly seeing each other (wife works at the same place) despite asking to have at least a couple of shifts which co-incide with each other. I'm working every other weeked and my wife works afternoons when I work earlies (and vice-versa). It's clouding our judgement of the place after having worked so hard (as anyone reading this will aboslutely appreciate). we don'y have time to enjoy the stuff we came here for.

Has anyone left a job they undertook on a 457 temp working visa? And if so, how did you go about it? It looks as if we are both tied into contracts here for the next two years - the way it's going I can't see us doing it at the rate we are expected to work.

Does anyone have any ideas? We need to get out NOW!! Even tho it may cost a couple of grand, we figure it may be worth it. Has anyone moved from one sponsor on the strength of another organisation taking over as sponsors? Or got jobs with other organisations who have agreed to sponsor?

Looking to work in Public sector - any suggestions as to hopsitals with nice people and decent hours of work?

Cheers

Al

Guest TC for short

That's the problem - the 457 being conditional on you being employed in a certain postition with a certain company. Your obligations -

Visa conditions

If the visa application for a temporary visa is approved, the following work condition will be applied to the employee.

The employee must not:

• stop working for the employer who sponsored them (that is, become unemployed or change employer)
    • work in a different position other than the position that was nominated in the visa application
    • work for another person or for themselves while working for the sponsor.

If an employee wishes to change employer, a new sponsorship and visa application will be required.

and more here

It's a tricky one & I don't envy you. Being a medic might make you a more marketable commodity though. Good luck.

TC

Guest Aussie pat
    Hi

It's not going too well where I'm working at the mo. Hardly seeing each other (wife works at the same place) despite asking to have at least a couple of shifts which co-incide with each other. I'm working every other weeked and my wife works afternoons when I work earlies (and vice-versa). It's clouding our judgement of the place after having worked so hard (as anyone reading this will aboslutely appreciate). we don'y have time to enjoy the stuff we came here for.

Has anyone left a job they undertook on a 457 temp working visa? And if so, how did you go about it? It looks as if we are both tied into contracts here for the next two years - the way it's going I can't see us doing it at the rate we are expected to work.

Does anyone have any ideas? We need to get out NOW!! Even tho it may cost a couple of grand, we figure it may be worth it. Has anyone moved from one sponsor on the strength of another organisation taking over as sponsors? Or got jobs with other organisations who have agreed to sponsor?

Looking to work in Public sector - any suggestions as to hopsitals with nice people and decent hours of work?

Cheers

Al

Hi Alan,

Have you tried putting your concerns in writing to either your manager or the Director of Nursing? I once had to resort to this myself when I worked at Flinders Medical Centre and the issue was then taken much more seriously than when I tried to verbalise it to my manager. I'm happy to say it worked and the matter was sorted to everyone's satisfaction. It doesn't sound like you have much to lose. I would write a tactful letter to your manager with a copy to the DON for their info to keep the manager on their toes.

Goodluck in whatever you decide to do.

Guest petenic63
    Hi

Cheers

Al

Hi Al , i have been following your progress with interest since you started your job , sorry to hear its not wokring out , i myself left there at christmas , also on a 457 we applied for a permanent visa asap and it took about nine month to complete and then i wasnt held to the contract, have you tried the new hospital manager he may be interested in helping if you need some more info get back to me , nicky

alan only one of you need to be sponsored why not one leave and sign up for an agency so you can work with more flexibility and better pay. i had 457 visa and my hubby was included he can work anywhere only me tied to my job, got p r after 3 months working at flinders private and am now also joining NASA might even reduce hours at flinders good luck sue

Hi there

I was just going to agree with sueoc and say whoever has the sponsorship would need to stay but the other person whether it be you or your wife could leave and get a job elsewhere. Then I would also look at applying for onshore PR (think it may be a 176) but not sure. I think you may work at a hospital that is part of the group that you work for and I'm not happy so I do sympathise! My hubby works at another private hospital within the city and loves it - He works on HDU/ICU. He works 12 hour shifts (nights by choice), self roster (with minimal changes) has a great boss who is very flexible and great colleagues, a mix of aussies and poms - they have very little staff turnover although he thinks they have a couple of vacancies at the moment. If you have either HDU or ICU experience, he highly recommends it and thinks that it's a great place to work , one of the CN's he worked with in the UK came and got a job there too, he loves it!(never been happier!- unlike me:err:). Will send you a PM with our number if you want to chat to Andy. Hope things can be sorted!

Guest Aussie pat

I have a friend who also works at the hospital where Andy is and can confirm that she is also very happy there and thinks the rostering situation is staff friendly.