Aussie sense of humour/British sense of humour.

sueoc

Guest Bristol_Matt

Define what is a British sense of humour is?

We all laugh at different things.

Or do you mean what is produced by each country?

Guest Guest75

Not much when you get into them.

Had a Beer / boating/ bullsh*t arvo here on Saturday with a couple of Aussies.

Sat in the boat on the drive,drank lots of beer,spun a few yarns,practised casting from the boat and told some really bad jokes.We even did a small repair - yup - I have chipped Jean Genie!

Had a great time.

Upon leaving one said "Ya not bad for a Pom!".......... Big compliment.:biglaugh:

It takes time but eventually you get it :)

Guest mayjess

Its funny cause aussies didnt get my sense of humour, but some did, same werever you live I suppose, think its more the accent! Ive got some aussie mates who have a fab sense of humour, depends what makes you laff!

Mayjess

yes theres a huge vast difference, northern humour cant be compared to aussie humour they just dont get it!! I have to explain myself allt the time at work lol. People think im funny ha ha but then say er what did u mean?

So no its not the same only people who have been here years and find the aussies humerous think it is lol, :biglaugh: i cant wait to get back to the northern humour!!!!!!!!!! (giving me the ****s just isnt hilarious sorry)

Guest salisbury massive

Sarcasm is the difference. I think English humour is based upon it. The Aussies just don't get it or think you're having a pop at them. I've hidden my sarcasm in a box, only comes out in Pom company.

I think there is a difference.

There are many Aussies (OH included) who love British humour and love classic British comedy (Black Adder, Young Ones, Monty Python, Faulty Towers etc).

However there are some who seem to have no sense of humour at all, especially in the workplace, which is lacking any kind of banter. Where I worked there was only one other pom (a brummie) and he used to moan like mad that I was the only person who got his humour. We used to have a laugh together anyway!

There is some good Aussie comedy though. Don't know what's on TV there now but there used to be an absolutely fantastic show called Frontline, made by Jane Kennedy, Rob Sitch, Santo Cilauro, Tom Gleisner who used to do the Late Show then went on to make The Dish and The Castle. Kath and Kim is great too.

My favourite comedy at the moment is from New Zealand - Flight of the Conchords - do you get that in Australia?

My favourite comedy at the moment is from New Zealand - Flight of the Conchords - do you get that in Australia?

Wonderful - have you heard their song "Business Time"? have a watch on You-Tube if not - classic!!

By the way, I don't think you can compare Oz and English humour - for a start, there are huge differences between northern England humour and southern! And of course, they never had Blue Peter here so when you say "here's one I made earlier" or"get down Shep" no one has a clue what you're on about!!! Actually, no one has a clue what I'm on about most of the time......

Flight of the Conchords is the best thing on TV at the moment. A new series has just started on BBC4 and I am Sky+ing them. I missed the original first series when it first came out, but watched them all back to back over a three night period.

QUALITY.

BTW. I'm not too keen on Kath & Kim, although I did like the one about the High School (I'ts name escapes me).

Flight of the Conchords is the best thing on TV at the moment. A new series has just started on BBC4 and I am Sky+ing them. I missed the original first series when it first came out, but watched them all back to back over a three night period.

QUALITY.

BTW. I'm not too keen on Kath & Kim, although I did like the one about the High School (I'ts name escapes me).

Summer Heights High

0,,5657918,00.jpg

Guest Rob and Clare

I think there is a difference, but it's not always completely different as we sometimes suspect.

I know when we first arrived friends would often say how much they loved british comedy with "Benny Hill and Man about the house" and they were quite put off when I said that comedy was unfunny in the 80's. and I liked shameless, Skins etc, the more subtle and clever comedy, and sarcasm is completely alien to a lot of aussies.

That said shows like the wedge (pretty similar to any other sketch show) have their moments and thank god your here can be really funny some weeks especially when Hamish is on, and thank god your here I was told was sold to the british networks, although it was probably channel 5. Channel 7 over here has bought the rights to Gavin and Stacey although they don't have the courage to show it yet, and i think 7 has also got the rights to Not going out which had me in tears on a flight to the UK.

Radio shows do my head in the most, but they are typical of any commercial network broadcaster with endless useless phone in's with unfunny stories about how someone's head is stuck in a toilet or prank phonecalls, so it's not an anti aussie feeling, but sometimes in the car you just miss the more courageous programming from the BBC on the radio, with shows like fighting talk, Now show and before he was taken off, Russel Brand.... love or hate these shows, no radio network here will do anything as outrageous as these shows, so my drive to work is full of BBC podcasts, and Frank Skinner from Absolute Radio...

I find Australians take things more literal than what us Poms do!

I remember my Dad telling me a story about when he was at work one day last year.

His workmate asked him 'do you have a hammer'... my Dad replied 'yeah, can you catch?'

The Australian work mate, looking rather bemused and confused, replied, 'well yeah I can catch...'

I think there is a difference, but it's not always completely different as we sometimes suspect.

I know when we first arrived friends would often say how much they loved british comedy with "Benny Hill and Man about the house" and they were quite put off when I said that comedy was unfunny in the 80's. and I liked shameless, Skins etc, the more subtle and clever comedy, and sarcasm is completely alien to a lot of aussies.

That said shows like the wedge (pretty similar to any other sketch show) have their moments and thank god your here can be really funny some weeks especially when Hamish is on, and thank god your here I was told was sold to the british networks, although it was probably channel 5. Channel 7 over here has bought the rights to Gavin and Stacey although they don't have the courage to show it yet, and i think 7 has also got the rights to Not going out which had me in tears on a flight to the UK.

Radio shows do my head in the most, but they are typical of any commercial network broadcaster with endless useless phone in's with unfunny stories about how someone's head is stuck in a toilet or prank phonecalls, so it's not an anti aussie feeling, but sometimes in the car you just miss the more courageous programming from the BBC on the radio, with shows like fighting talk, Now show and before he was taken off, Russel Brand.... love or hate these shows, no radio network here will do anything as outrageous as these shows, so my drive to work is full of BBC podcasts, and Frank Skinner from Absolute Radio...

I believe it was on ITV, hosted by Paul Merton.

Guest sandar1

There are most definately sense of humor differences. When I lived in the US they could never get the Ozzie sense of humor, we would always point out that if they were having a go they really liked you. We also had friends who would come to dinner with the Poms and Ozzies and would laugh all night around the table, and then 6 months down the road would point out that they couldn't understand a word any of us had said that night, because we all spoke so fast, and had different accents, and so they would laugh at the appropriate place (ie wheneveryone else laughed). Love all the british comedies must admit, especially Black Adder. For the poster with the Brummie mate, let them know about the back to Birmingham that they have once a year at the Sea Wall Apartments at Glenelg, not sure when it is but I reckon it is about now. Tell them to give Sea Wall a call. I may see any of you Brummies there (better call them myself).

Sandra

Guest cjdelphi
Not much when you get into them.

Had a Beer / boating/ bullsh*t arvo here on Saturday with a couple of Aussies.

Sat in the boat on the drive,drank lots of beer,spun a few yarns,practised casting from the boat and told some really bad jokes.We even did a small repair - yup - I have chipped Jean Genie!

Had a great time.

Upon leaving one said "Ya not bad for a Pom!".......... Big compliment.:biglaugh:

It takes time but eventually you get it :)

"Ya not bad for a Pom!"

Exactly what i'm getting sick of, always those little comments always being called a pom, either the meaning Prisoner of Mother England or "POM" short for pommie granite ie, your color of skin..

Either way it's bad.... next time you talk to a black person say "Ya not bad for a blackie"

Same difference. I was on the phone over a $350 parking fine (originally $30) and it was not my fine wrong name, and the dumb australian woman on the other end asked for my name.....

So i spelt it out, she came back saying no not on the system, so i said it again and she went "ohhhh" that's not how you pronounce your name it should be like...... NO i don't care if my name was Marshmellow if i prounouce my name "MarMello" that's my right not yours to tell me after 28 years if my family and myself being called and pronounced 1 way, not some stupid australian tell me i'm wrong condesending little ....

I'm fed up of having to repeat myself time and time again to every single Australian i've never talked to before, why can't it be as simple as "oh you're british" yes i am moving along.... no no

Where what part?

Oh so you're a pom

what made you move out here? (muttering and stealing out jobs)

Endless bloody amounts of questions....... 8 years and nothing's changed.

Guest cjdelphi

as for humor.

Australia has no concept of humor or entertainment any humor you come across is school yard humor with the exception and i mean the exception.... unless "wogs" as in Greek/Italians etc etc are in it, Fat Pizza, swift and shift couriers, they have the humor dead on, occasionally you do get some good material with ABC such as The Chasers War on Everything, but they go a little too far sometimes but good to watch.

Australian humor sucks quite frankly, watch Top Gear Australia, they butchered the format removing all comedy from it.

Guest cjdelphi
I believe it was on ITV, hosted by Paul Merton.

You know the sad part, the UK version was actually funny unlike the version here.