Sign in to follow this  
Guest vijnit

Travelling with a 1 year old tips ?

Guest vijnit

Hi Guys,

we leave for Adelaide on 12th June on Singapore Airlines with our 13 month old!

We have no idea how he's gonna be.. do you guys have any tips for travelling with a baby ?

We have a night flight from London so hopefuly he's gonna sleep - then 5 hrs in Singapore Changi then the 7hr flight to Adelaide.

Do you know if Singapore Airlines give milk for baby feeds and warms it up for us ?

Any good tips for the Changi airport 5hr break - ref baby once again ?

Anyone else travelling then as well ?

Much appreciated as always !

Vijay.:)

Guest Nicky&Andy

hi guys , i bet your excited, a long journey though, mine are older, but in when one of mine was just under a yr we flew on a 5 hr flight, he started to get grizzly so my other son gave him his sweet lolly, he licked it for ages, kept him quiet, when we flew in feb 09, a couple were struggling with a screaming toddler, but the air staff were brilliant with them and helped to calm her down(that was singapore air lines) in the airport , they have a place up by the butterfly garden, where you can have a shower etc well worth a freshen up, kills a bit of time, im sure the little one will love splashing around, (or you can book a room in the airport,) its so big , its just nice to walk around , after sitting for so long,sorry cant help with the important baby stuff about milk etc,

not long to go now, hope all goes well

Guest Trakki

We flew with singapore airlines with 4 children, the youngest being 14 months, didn't get a bassinett as he wouldn't have fit but they kept the seat next to me empty on the first flight. We took the 1830 flight and within 30 mins of take off he fell asleep and I put him on the seat next to me, got more pillows and blankets from the flight attendents and padded him out, he looked sooooo comfy I wanted to swap places. He slept for most of the first flight but the flight attendents did get concerned as he didn't eat anything! He was still on formula when we flew and despite me phoning the airline twice and being told to take cartons of the milk on board this was not allowed when we got to Heathrow as you have to taste the milk. So I had to ditch it as I only had one bottle with me to put it in. The flight attendents supplied cows milk on the flight with no problems but did like heating it a bit too much. Apparently you can take on bottles of water and powder milk. My only advice about this is that is you get told anything by the airline get them to put it in writing.

At singapore airport we booked the transit hotel which was great as we could dump stuff there, the kids could stretch their legs while we laid on the beds. Also if you book the transit hotel you can use the roof top pool for free. this we did and it was great. By the time we had done that and had something to eat it was time for the next flight. We spent alot of this flight walking up and down the plane, which the flight attendents did not mind and then he slept on my lap this time.

All in all it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be and if you think about it as being only one day it is easier to deal with.

HTH and good luck

Guest THE HUTSONS
    Hi Guys,

we leave for Adelaide on 12th June on Singapore Airlines with our 13 month old!

We have no idea how he's gonna be.. do you guys have any tips for travelling with a baby ?

We have a night flight from London so hopefuly he's gonna sleep - then 5 hrs in Singapore Changi then the 7hr flight to Adelaide.

Do you know if Singapore Airlines give milk for baby feeds and warms it up for us ?

Any good tips for the Changi airport 5hr break - ref baby once again ?

Anyone else travelling then as well ?

Much appreciated as always !

Vijay.:)

Hi there. Just wanted to say good luck. We are also flying out soon with our 1 year old, and our 6 year old too. We have flown to Australia twice with our oldest and the night flights do work...she slept for most of the way to Singapore and I agree with the others that Singapore Airline staff are great. Putting your child in their pyjamas and keeping to their routine as best as you can helps. Just make sure you don't have a full bladder before they fall asleep on you!

If you google Singapore Airport you'll get loads of results on what to do there...I know there is a children's play area and swimming pool at Terminal 1.

Well, all the best for the flight. Let us know how you get on....we've just sold our house and are planning our 'escape' for September. All the best,

Sue

Guest vijnit

Guys - thank you very much for these useful tips. Keep em coming if you can think of anything else :-)

Guest Pies
    Guys - thank you very much for these useful tips. Keep em coming if you can think of anything else :-)

How are you settling in?