9 years today...................

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

Well.............

It was 9 years ago today that we set foot in Adelaide as permanent residents.

Seems such a long time ago now but I can still remember the excitement and anticipation of the challenge and new life ahead.

We came for a new life,something different to the natural course our lives would have taken in the UK. We could see ourselves stagnating in the UK and just taking the easy course with everything mapped out.

So we came,left our comfort zone,faced new challenges and became Pozzies (Pommie Ozzies - our Ozzie friends love that)

I suppose it was different then,the financial climate was very positive,we were the first of this current stream of UK settlers. So many people here asked why we had moved to Adelaide - as though there was something terribly wrong with the place or as if it were a secret!

Disregarding what you see on the surface - we have had some tough times - but as the Aussies say "Toughen up" - and we did!

Our friends are a real asset here,it takes a while to find the "true" ones with many a slip on the way.

The Aussies and their attitude are one of the main reasons we moved here - they have not disappointed.:notworthy:

We do have lots of good Pom friends as well I hasten to add!

I think we have changed a lot - or adapted.

Life here is so different - but that's why we came!

You just CANNOT expect this land to be similar to the UK with sunshine!

I fully realise it is a lot tougher financially now but quality of life and your children's future is a big part of the move here.It's not for everyone ,I realise that.Some people have to come and experience this land for themselves to find the "true" picture.Some have to Ping - Pong to find out. Whatever it takes - this place can really get a hold of you and you need to satisfy that curiosity - rather "What if?" sitiing in your mind for the rest of your life.

Our Little Tyke is a proper little Aussie now and recently said "Thanks for bringing me here" - quite a reward to us!

We revel in the smaller and joyous moments - such as a walk around one of the many parks spotting Parrots to people offering help with no expectation of reward.

I think you can tell we love the Aussies many are still very open and have quite old fashioned values such as true "mateship",sometime seen as naive but that's not the case.They just have values that have been sadly lost in other nations.

Never judge a book by it's cover here, we have Aussie mates ranging from a millionaire to blokes with 2 Bob in their pocket - they look very,very similar!

I think that this will be the last generation of "True" Aussies now - unfortunately Globalisation is creeping in with a huge American influence showing itself - nothing wrong with America but a shame that a national identity will disappear.

Once you have been settled a few years and set yourself up you find there is a lot to do here - but you have to go out and find it.

From regular nights out with our local mob of mates to volunteering .

Volunteering is a huge thing here - the country would grind to a halt if it were not for all the selfless people giving up their time and energy to help others. There are certainly rewards for doing it, we have met so many lovely people since joining Sea Rescue.

Our latest mad venture is fishing and boating as most of you know.

This has been a huge challenge and learning curve with so many fantastic and sometimes dangerous experiences - but that's why we came.

I've been "adopted" by some of the very knowledgeable local Aussies who are only too keen to help and share.This hobby is fully of etiquette and good old fashioned "Mateship" - which we extend to others now.

I wish everyone all the best in their journey and settlement here and hope you can share some of the fortune and experiences we have.

Even if Him Upstairs - or will it be Him Down below? calls me today---------------

I can say "Mission accomplished" ......Thank you Australia.:notworthy:

Don't be too quicck to condemn the next gen as losing cultural identity, the ranks of youths gathering at dawn services , taking an interest in the men, women and boys who gavee their all is still growing and looking at the friends of my kids now rapidly approaching adulthood...mateship is still an important part of their identity.

Congrats on your 9 years, this morning is another beautiful morning, sun out, still fairly warm, those weeds are growing back and the birds are all gossiping......you know what I mean.

Guest salisbury massive

Are any of the millionaires single??? Can I have one???:jiggy:

Seriously you are the true defination of complete migration. Well done Tykes

Jo

Good on you, Tyke (and Mrs Tyke and Little Tyke!) for embracing everything this place has got to offer, and giving back so much help, info and advice to those still on the journey.

Excellent point about volunteering too (isn't this week National Volunteers Week?) - read an article in the Expat paper this week about a family who have moved umpteen times to different countries with their families due to work; her advice to all non-working partners is to volunteer for absolutely everything in the first year - whether it be helping out in the school canteen, selling raffle tickets for a charity, or doing the sausage sizzle down at the sports club. It's the best way to start to meet people, make friends, and even hear about any paid work that might be coming up!

Here's to the next 9.....or 90!

Diane

Guest KP Nuts

Our Little Tyke is a proper little Aussie now and recently said "Thanks for bringing me here" - quite a reward to us!

Hope with in time my three say that Tyke......

Great post, congrat on the 9 years and here's to many many more. 7_4_13.gif

Guest karyn1

What a great success story! Congratulations on 9 years! After just signing with an agent, woke up this morning with a bit of a wobble "are we doing the right thing?", and you have put my mind at ease, thank you.

Karyn

Guest soggy

Congratulations on 9 years, if I can be half as successful, settled and content as you are in another 8 years I will be a happy man.

Does this mean your staying here then ?:)

Simon:D

Guest The Pottertons

What a great post! Really good to hear your story and how much you have learnt and grown as people! Makes me feel really positive that the adventure is worth it....whether its forever(hopefully) or not! Thanks for taking the time......a lot of people will gain inspiration from your story! Yvonne x:notworthy:

Guest Dave & Carole

Congratulations on your 9 years in OZ. It fills me with great hope for our new life - reading about yours. We are not so niave as to think it will be a breeze, but like you our life here is OK we just want more for our children and a society/community that has a greater sense of who it is and supporting one another. In fact me & my OH can't wait to get the kids into different sports & be a volunteer helping out with that. The wait for our visa is killing me but reading your post makes me think it will be worth it in the end.

Carole

Guest majortom

To Tyke

I have never met you, but seen pictures of you. But I have a good idea what kind of a bloke you are. Do you remember one of my first post's on the "other site" when my wife was here without me ???.......well it's something I will not forget, you offered to help a stranger, and in my book that makes you a big man, big in love and generosity.

So here's to Tyke and his clan, have a wonderful life.

Jim

Guest ROBERT

It is an honour to have been served by you Tyke lol!!!

You were our first port of call and you got us off on the right foot.

For ever in your debt.

Thanks mate

Guest gilmoresoz

Tyke and family

As a fellow Leeds guy with a wife from Adelaide (originally) and then finding myself here with my OH for the past 8 months. I have always found your posts to be inspirational and at times kept me going and my spirits lifted when I have had low moments and dark times! I have turned the corner now and hope to be as successful as you.

Good on ya. :D

Darren

The Men's Room Barber Shop

Recommendations on this website

Aaww tyke really loved your post so proud of you all and you must be proud of yourselfs too i know i would be.:jiggy:

I bet ya everyone who has read your post has thought" wonder if we make it to 9 years" i know i did!:unsure:

I have volunteerd to work at the local community centre in the creche and hopefully will be starting next week, every little helps hahaha.:D

good luck in everything you do

sue xxx

Guest kangomik

Wow 9 years fella, and a legend on the boards.

Always truthful, with a special sense of humour.

Well done to the Tyke clan for settling so well, and always there for others with either a kind word or helping hand.

An inspiration to many.

Guest Libby1971

Tyke :notworthy:

It is a great post. I hope we'll be as successful as you have been in becoming settled in Pozzies. Like you we came for a better life, found and have one, we've just got to keep it!!! You're a gent with a kind heart Tyke, well done

Congratulations to all of you xx

Guest mayjess

Thats a brilliant success story! so nice to hear positivity for a change!

Glad OZ has been good to you, but think its been more about your flexibility & ability to get yourself out there to slot in! Enjoy your new hobbie and heres to many more happy years for you and your family!

Guest mOZzy

great post - thanks for taking the time!!

that all gives us hope that we can do it too ... sometime ... hopefully in the near future :jiggy:

here's to Pozzies!!! :wubclub: