Sign in to follow this  
Guest jlr248

Plumbing Vetassess

Guest jlr248

Hi all, My OH has just got a date for his practical Vetassess plumbing assessment (14th July. If anyone else is going drop a line to say hello!). We have just got info off agent and aswell as general plumbing there are sections for either gas or roof plumbing. Matt is'nt corgi registered so assume gas is out of the question but he is'nt really familiar with roof plumbing either. Has anyone done the Vetassess practical and come across this problem? Would love to hear any ideas and info regarding anything to do with the assessment. Look forward to chatting lots now I have discovered this site. Jane

Guest Dawny

Hi Jane,

My o.h did his back in feb, also general plumber, he would be happy to give your o/h pointers for the day, He was also advised to take the gas option, and he too is not corgi!

Happy to say he passed!

Dawn:jiggy:

Guest jlr248

Thanks Dawn, I'm sure Matt (my OH) would love a chat so that would be great. You must be well on your way now, I could ask you so many questions but I'll restrain myself so as not to look like some internet stalker! In short would love to hear how things are progressing for you. I keep wondering how long each process takes and if immigration changes will effect us. I am a teaching assistant so my job is'nt on the list so I'm no help (apart from filling in forms and writing letters and emailing!) OH here now so I'll start with the plumbing questions if thats OK.

1. Is there much bronze welding (silver soldering) or any LCS (black iron) pipework?

2. Not sure what to do about the gas/roofing option. Were you advised on the day or did you have to choose before hand?

3. How many different tasks are there - any surprises or all usual plumbing?

Thanks for your time.

Guest Dawny
    Thanks Dawn, I'm sure Matt (my OH) would love a chat so that would be great. You must be well on your way now, I could ask you so many questions but I'll restrain myself so as not to look like some internet stalker! In short would love to hear how things are progressing for you. I keep wondering how long each process takes and if immigration changes will effect us. I am a teaching assistant so my job is'nt on the list so I'm no help (apart from filling in forms and writing letters and emailing!) OH here now so I'll start with the plumbing questions if thats OK.

1. Is there much bronze welding (silver soldering) or any LCS (black iron) pipework?

2. Not sure what to do about the gas/roofing option. Were you advised on the day or did you have to choose before hand?

3. How many different tasks are there - any surprises or all usual plumbing?

Thanks for your time.

Hi Jane, i don't mind you being a stalker lol, Its a nerve racking time this vetasses lark! Im just trying to find a thread that John posted. so will be right back with it for you!!

You have to choose the option beforehand!

Guest jlr248

Thanks so much, this has really helped. Not sure Gas will be the best option for Matt. I don't suppose your OH has any ideas about what is involved with the roofing option? Thangs again . jane

Guest Dawny
    Thanks so much, this has really helped. Not sure Gas will be the best option for Matt. I don't suppose your OH has any ideas about what is involved with the roofing option? Thangs again . jane

Your welcome!

Im not sure but i will ask him, there are some links on pomsinoz the link to this one that might help!

Dawn:jiggy:

Guest mikeskinner1272
    >good luck, john

Hope this helps but ask away hun x

Hello there.

Just been reading through your day at the assessment. I have got my day coming up soon and wanted to ask a couple of questions.

1. You refered to septic tanks....I've been plumbing over 20 years and never fitted one.....is it time for me to start reading up...lol......

2. With gas, im a registered gas fitter but only work on natural gas and not LPG...and nver worked on LPG...will that give me any grief on the day. Is it worth me getting my ACS folder out agin and read up on compartment ventilation....

3.Most of my work is installation of new boilers/bathrooms/soil stacks....have't done trenching, fitted manholes and rodding points, surely I know what they are and how they work but never fitted. gradient fall on soil runs on pea gravel....Pea gravel I know, but not the correct gradient...I looked doomed...lol...

4. With brazing....I haven't done that since college.....in 1990.....

If you could get back to me that would be helpful.

Many thanks

Mike Skinner

Guest mikeskinner1272
    Hi all, My OH has just got a date for his practical Vetassess plumbing assessment (14th July. If anyone else is going drop a line to say hello!). We have just got info off agent and aswell as general plumbing there are sections for either gas or roof plumbing. Matt is'nt corgi registered so assume gas is out of the question but he is'nt really familiar with roof plumbing either. Has anyone done the Vetassess practical and come across this problem? Would love to hear any ideas and info regarding anything to do with the assessment. Look forward to chatting lots now I have discovered this site. Jane

Hi jane....Im about to take my practical assessment.....To be honest im crapping it....Let me know how your O/H gets on...

Thanks.

Mike Skinner

Guest Dawny
    Hello there.

Just been reading through your day at the assessment. I have got my day coming up soon and wanted to ask a couple of questions.

1. You refered to septic tanks....I've been plumbing over 20 years and never fitted one.....is it time for me to start reading up...lol......

2. With gas, im a registered gas fitter but only work on natural gas and not LPG...and nver worked on LPG...will that give me any grief on the day. Is it worth me getting my ACS folder out agin and read up on compartment ventilation....

3.Most of my work is installation of new boilers/bathrooms/soil stacks....have't done trenching, fitted manholes and rodding points, surely I know what they are and how they work but never fitted. gradient fall on soil runs on pea gravel....Pea gravel I know, but not the correct gradient...I looked doomed...lol...

4. With brazing....I haven't done that since college.....in 1990.....

If you could get back to me that would be helpful.

Many thanks

Mike Skinner

hi mike, to be honest it is all textbook stuff, read up on lpg, ie working pressures, hose coloring, safe and unsafe situations ,etc, yes on compartment ventilation and a lot on safety, ie overheat stats, hi and low level stats etc on boilers

septic tanks, again just text book stuff, you will need to know how they work in detail, to be honest this is really easy.

just remember you need to explain everything as if the examiner is a complete idiot, start from scratch for example i was asked a question about how would i go about making concrete footings for a shed, remember"this guys an idiot", tell him you will have to actually dig out the footings first, put up shuttering, tell him you will use concrete to a 4 in 1 mix and tamp it down, how deep the footings will need to be in comparison the the weight it will hold

i know this seems really daunting at the minute but it is really just another day at the office, i was bricking it on the day as you know how much is riding on it, but it was really quite enjoyable, if you are going to accrington this place was brilliant, the shop guys, the examiner, there was a lot of piss taking and as far as i know everyone passed

the brazing, i must admit i was a bit put off by this, but just treat it like very hot soldering, the workshop guys will show you and it is really easy to pick up as with the threading machine, i hadnt used one of these since college, but all came back to me in an instant.

go in there believing in your ability and honestly you will walk it

read up a little bit on health and safety like ladders and roofwork, a lot is just common sense

drains , again is just text book stuff, gradients( you will need to gradients for up to 4 inch pipe, go with 1 in 40 and you should be ok, mention to dig out trenches you would use an incidence board( google was very helpful on all of this) and you would use access points on corners etc

hope this helps, give us a shout if you need to ask anythin g else

cheers, john

Guest Dawny

warning to everyone, do not, i repeat, do not choose the roofing option unless you can fabricate box guttering out of sheet metal, i saw some of what you had to do, my advise, go with the gas, at least you can always read up about gas and use your plumbing skills for the pipework, the sheet metalwork, well i have worked on car body work and i wouldnt touch it with yours,

regards, john

Guest mikeskinner1272
    hi mike, to be honest it is all textbook stuff, read up on lpg, ie working pressures, hose coloring, safe and unsafe situations ,etc, yes on compartment ventilation and a lot on safety, ie overheat stats, hi and low level stats etc on boilers

septic tanks, again just text book stuff, you will need to know how they work in detail, to be honest this is really easy.

just remember you need to explain everything as if the examiner is a complete idiot, start from scratch for example i was asked a question about how would i go about making concrete footings for a shed, remember"this guys an idiot", tell him you will have to actually dig out the footings first, put up shuttering, tell him you will use concrete to a 4 in 1 mix and tamp it down, how deep the footings will need to be in comparison the the weight it will hold

i know this seems really daunting at the minute but it is really just another day at the office, i was bricking it on the day as you know how much is riding on it, but it was really quite enjoyable, if you are going to accrington this place was brilliant, the shop guys, the examiner, there was a lot of piss taking and as far as i know everyone passed

the brazing, i must admit i was a bit put off by this, but just treat it like very hot soldering, the workshop guys will show you and it is really easy to pick up as with the threading machine, i hadnt used one of these since college, but all came back to me in an instant.

read up a little bit on health and safety like ladders and roofwork, a lot is just common sense

drains , again is just text book stuff, gradients( you will need to gradients for up to 4 inch pipe, go with 1 in 40 and you should be ok, mention to dig out trenches you would use an incidence board( google was very helpful on all of this) and you would use access points on corners etc

cheers, john

Thanks for the speedy reply John....taking this exam is as nervous as me sitting my ACS again, which I only done in Jan 09.....

So if I start reading up on septic tanks/ LPG/ health and safety...Will check out google aswell.....

Where there many questions on gas ????

What questions did they ask you on Roofwork ??

HGope this doesn't sound like im stalking you.

Cheers.

Mike

Guest mikeskinner1272

cheers, john

Hi John.

Thanks for the reply it was very helpful.....Bricking the exam...Just like taking my ACS again.....

So if I read up on LPG/ Septic tanks/gradients/ that would be a starter for me ????

Did they ask many other questions on gas, like servicing/commissioning a boiler ???

Y plans how they work, 1 and 2 pipe heating systems.

What questions did they ask about roofwork ??? is that guttering or leadwork ???

ladders, is that how high a ladder needs to be above the scafforld, tying it up, what angle it should be at and having a ladder footed????

Do you need to know the correct fall for 32/35mm waste pipe ??? or as we plumbers normally do, if its got a fall its fine...lol....

If I have any more questions can i please get in touch.

Thanks for your time.

Mike

Guest Fastarse

Hi all,

I took my vetassess exam in Accrington on Monday 13th, the results were posted 5 days later.

I have to say to anyone following this thread - DON'T PANIC! it was quite easy. I did sneak a few photos of some of the assessments, contact me if you are taking the exam and I'll send them to you.

There were 5 plumbers in attendance and a few chippies, the assessors were fresh off the plane, mine wasn't as relaxed as he could have been but the atmosphere was just right for assessments, disciplined. We even got a lesson in how to use silver solder, by the way, don't bother taking all your hand tools with you, just what's listed in the info letter. Don't take any of your soldering gear, you won't be using it.

You're best friend is the stores guy, go to him for advice if you need it, he's seen it all before.

Steve.

P.S. I passed.

Guest mikeskinner1272
    Hi all,

I took my vetassess exam in Accrington on Monday 13th, the results were posted 5 days later.

I have to say to anyone following this thread - DON'T PANIC! it was quite easy. I did sneak a few photos of some of the assessments, contact me if you are taking the exam and I'll send them to you.

There were 5 plumbers in attendance and a few chippies, the assessors were fresh off the plane, mine wasn't as relaxed as he could have been but the atmosphere was just right for assessments, disciplined. We even got a lesson in how to use silver solder, by the way, don't bother taking all your hand tools with you, just what's listed in the info letter. Don't take any of your soldering gear, you won't be using it.

You're best friend is the stores guy, go to him for advice if you need it, he's seen it all before.

Steve.

P.S. I passed.

Hi Steve....Good to hear you passed your practical....Would like to see some pictures if poss.....Have spoken to a few people on here about the day and they have had to talk about septic tanks, laying drainage in the ground with questions like whats the correct gradiant, using pea gravel, did you have any of that ?????

Regarding the questions, I have my acs and worked on boiler instasllations for 20 years, do they ask you many questions ???? Im going as a general plumber.....

Here is my e-mail add, would be good to chat to you.

Thanks Mike.

mds1272@yahoo.co.uk