Guest emmaandlee

Import duty?

Guest emmaandlee

Hi there,

After reading recent topics and threads, my idea of travelling over with only a suitcase and the clothes on my back does not seem the brightest!!;) If you do ship your items over what implications does it have on import duty when you get there? Do you have to list and value your items to customs??:confused:

Thanks,

Emma

There are a lot of things that are much more expensive here and it will pay you to bring them with you or buy them new before you arrive. If it's for personal use you shouldn't have any problems although they are supposed to be a year old and not new. Take a look at our Goodguys and Harvey Norman web sites to compare electrical goods.

All your items will be listed for insurance purposes and for customs and they do random checks (especially "high risk" items that may have soil or plant material etc). They opened 13 out of our 145 cases. It also cost us $350 for an Australian customs official to clean dirt from under one of our shoes! so be carefull !

Hey,

We just arrived with 2 suitcases just over a year ago....and i think prices are on a par with UK, you just dont realise the amount of everyday items you do need!

We landed with $21000 and spent $4000 on a car straight away and around $10000 on furniture and electricals when we got our rental. What cost us more was the smaller things like tin openers, bottle openers, tupperware as they tend to get looked over!!

One tip i can give is look for ppl selling in the 'For Sale' section of the forum....some good bargains to be had. Also there are load of Op Shops and Cash Converters around where bargains can be found.

We sent over one tea chest box of just personal items..like photo albums etc... and we had to list what was in the box and an estimated value of it. We had a cheapo (14 quid) DVD player as it was multiregional and just removed the box so it didnt look obviously brand new (although we have never used it to this day....found abetter one for sale on here!!) We had no bills with import tax at all!!

Dan

Guest kangomik

don't forget the shopper on a friday!

I would still bring all you can. Tott up just whats in the house now, give it a second hand value. Then give those items a buy new price. tott that up....... thats what your going to spend when you arrive +10%. soon adds up.

We were not going to bring anything, but then when i priced shipping the tools alone we decided to get a 20ft container.

Biggest regret? Not bringing the sofa's