Anyone miss UK TV?

Guest cjdelphi

Guest cjdelphi

Is there anything in particular you'd like to be able to watch every now and then that you simply can not find or get?...

I know foxtel shows corrie and some other shows on the UK Channel, but is there anything that anyone really misses?...

I'm able on and off to get some shows like Have I Got News For You, never mind the buzzcocks when it's on, Panorama, Points of View, various gardening shows.... i'd stick them on DVD for you, but my source is not constant i'd be trying my best if i can get it at all, but if you name something i'll see what i can do.

I was a total TV addict I must admit and I dont watch half as much telly here - which is no bad thing! TV no longer rules my life - FREEDOM!

We do get Oprah here in the afternoons which I love ( we only have normal tv) and maybe I will squeeze in Ellen (De Generes) before that if I get the chance!!!!!!!!!!

Guest rich

When i get there i admit it's going to be hard without all those informative BBC2 programmes that are on, which explore things you'd never research yourself, but you can spend a happy hours watching, turn off and think "wow i learned something" even if it is about the pygmy hippo or the mating habits of diseased dutch elms.

Guest The Pottertons

Im sure we'll miss british tv a lot for a start......another adjustment to add to the list. I dont even get to watch it very often but will miss documentaries and british comedy loads!!! I imagine you get some old stuff??? but do you get any newer comedy shows such as Shameless or gavin and stacey??

Guest cjdelphi

Shameless is aired on SBS here so is Top Gear, free to air gives you the Bill, they just started airing that comedy with Sanjeev (Mumbai Calling), they put the peep show on here, they had the worst week, they even have Red Dwarf on ABC2 here along with Scrap Heap, there's plenty of free BBC/ITV/C4/C5 stuff here and occasionally stuff from Sky1 too.

They have their own versions of Have i got news for you and comedy shows like that, i say comedy but Australians don't really understand what comedy is for example if a bad joke is made in the UK everyone's pretty much silent (if live audience) but here they would laugh anyway and a really funny joke here is probably mesaured to be average from a good comedian in the UK (not very often) it's a good "funny" episode if it manages to make you smile or just a couple of laughs... however there's an exception to this, Swift and Shift curiours and Fat Pizza and the Chasers war on everying (even though both are quite racist, SBS is usually racist towards Asians, Greeks, Italians) and ABC generally take the pee out of the British (well at least try too)

Guest allie

hi

what about bbc iplayer? does that work in oz...cant see why it wouldnt cos its just a website :) There is also ITV catchup and 4 OnDemand. I am really hoping that all o these things will work over in Oz....I would hate to miss Skins and Criminal Minds!

I think iplayer does a catch up of all the eastenders episodes from the week too :D

Guest cazzie

Hi,

We think 'Have I Got News For You' is absolutey brilliant and watch it every week. It's great British humour and listening to them slating the politicians who have robbed the taxpayers blind is excellent. We get it by using a proxy UK IP address, bought from 'hideip ng' on http://www.hide-ip-soft.com for $50 for a year's subscription. It gives you a low-speed connection which is great for BBC programmes using iPlayer, but doesn't work well for ITV, presumably because ITV's content needs bigger bandwidth.

So turn on, tune in and slob out! Well worth watching.

hi

what about bbc iplayer? does that work in oz...cant see why it wouldnt cos its just a website :) There is also ITV catchup and 4 OnDemand. I am really hoping that all o these things will work over in Oz....I would hate to miss Skins and Criminal Minds!

I think iplayer does a catch up of all the eastenders episodes from the week too :D

No, iplayer doesn't work outside the UK. Best bet is to start learning how to use torrents and UKNova.

Guest cjdelphi
hi

Nope, nothing outside of the UK works with them services just the Radio Services (BBC Radio 1/2 etc)

The radio stuff works on BBC iplayer. If you want to be able to watch the TV stuff from there, you will need something called a VPN. There was an excellent link on the British Expats site recently linking through to an excellent blog by someone in Australia about all the different options - just tried to find the link and British Expats is down at the moment so if it comes up later I'll put a link in. Think some of them might skirt a few legal issues though so it's very much caveat emptor!

Guest LordLucan
Same here....

Of if you use torrents... http://eztv.it/ is pretty good for Tv shows from UK and USA!

Dan

Tried this one today, and dowloaded THAT Tonight programme in about 30 minutes, great stuff!

As Dan says, you need to use a torrent client. I use Bitcomet, which ain't too bad, but make sure that you have antivirus! I also run spybot now and again to get rid of that pesky spyware!

Guest allie

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Say it isnt true!!! No iplayer?? No 4OD?? Sob!:arghh: well this changes everything....

Lol, so long as criminal minds is shown then im sure I'll survive. My god i am naive in the ways of the internet!

Now taking note of all websites mentioned at great speed....

Guest LordLucan
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Say it isnt true!!! No iplayer?? No 4OD?? Sob!:arghh: well this changes everything....

Lol, so long as criminal minds is shown then im sure I'll survive. My god i am naive in the ways of the internet!

Now taking note of all websites mentioned at great speed....

All is not lost! Check out Cazzie's post on page 1 of this thread. As she mentioned, for $50 per year, you can get a UK IP address which you connect to whenever you want to use iplayer. It is a slow connection, but works a treat for iplayer. Not good for ITV programmes. I don't know 4OD, but will check it out.

Further to other posts, I have found UK NOVA to be brilliant, but have had problems with other sites - not always available, too many flashing ads, etc.

Guest Tina P

Hi

ABC shows a lot of UK programs, never watched The Bill in the uk but a fan now.

Also last week Silent Witness started on a Friday night - 8.30pm. Really good.

Must be a recent show as the Registrations on the cars were on '57' plates ?

When we first got here they were showing 'Life on Mars', again we never watched this in the uk, but it was a highlight of our week in the first few sad, cold, dark months. LOL.

I was a BIG 'soap' fan and I haven't missed them at all.

Now the winter months are here we need to join a DVD/Video hire shop.

Tina

Guest graandjac

:(why would anyone want to watch uk tv...? the fact that tv here is crap is a bit of a mith evening tv is great , yes daytime tv sucks but as i does in the uk same old chat shows full of washed up tv stars promoting a new book.....usually a cooking one;):pand the weather is far to nice to be sitting in doors watching tv any hows.

Guest coolio

Well we've only been here 2 weeks and the kids and hubby (not I) have been shocked at the carp telly...

My theory is that we shall be too busy doing other stuff, out on our bikes exploring etc to worry about the quality of the telly. I seem to be in the kitchen when anything worth watching is on anyway.

have looked into foxtel but to be honest, am enjoying not having the poxy big black box as the focus of our spare time!!

It's all part of the plan, and seems to be working to date;)

Fred seriously getting twitchy though about possibility of missing Dr Who, Primeval and Merlin. That's 12 year olds for you though. Do'h.

Kerry xx