HC Area new club

Guest Roo1

Guest Roo1

Hi all,

I’m trying to put together a “club” for all the new comers to Adelaide. My initial thinking is a weekly meet for people who have emigrated from anywhere, not just the U.K.

I also want to focus on mums and dads too who could do with some adult conversation and time out whilst their little ones play in a safe environment.

I believe (thanks to Weasy) that there’s a similar group in Adelaide already called “The Settlers” group. If anyone has been to this and can pass on any tips I’d appreciate it.

I’ve booked Hallett Cove Uniting Church for Friday 20th July at 10.30am. I realize Hallett Cove kindy hold their playgroup at this time but that can’t be helped.

I would really appreciate your support. Even if you can’t make it, maybe you can pass on details to people that you know who might like to come along.

I feel it’s very important to have a support network for new comers. Even if you have been here awhile you could come along and pass on your advice.

Bring your children whatever age they are. (Or not, a child is not compulsory) I’m going to ask HC library if I can borrow some toys and I’ll make some play dough and provide colouring material for children to be occupied with.

If you would like to attend, we’d love to see you. There is no fee but I would appreciate it if you could bring a packet of biscuits/nibbles and maybe an extra toy for your child or others to play with.

Thanks and once again I’d appreciate your support on this and hopefully it will become an established group over time.

Warm Regards

Judi x;)

What a great idea, I hope you have some success with your venture.

I am sorry to say that my wife & I are senior Mum's & Dads and our little ones are 36 & 38 but any thing that gives a feeling of belonging for new arrivals must be helpful, especially when they do not have contacts for when they arrive.

We have Aussie friends, as well as family in Aus. so can't wait to sort everything out at this end, now we have our Visa.

Guest Roo1

Thanks for the support, thats really nice of you to say.

However, if you are at a loose end on a Friday morning (when you get here) and would like a good cuppa and a natter, we'd love to see you!

Judi x

Guest Django

Wish you all the success with this Judi. Hopefully it will be going 'great guns' when we come over next year. Will definately pop in if so.;):D

Pete

Guest Roo1

Thanks Kim and Pete,

I'm getting a few enquiries which is positive. But it will be nice to keep this post bumped up to the top until the event as the more people know the better it will be for everyone in months to come.

Judi x

Guest JPT07

Hi Judi, Just wanted to say good luck with the venture and that it is a fantasitc idea and great for the kids too to make new friends. We will definately be at the get togethers when we get over there, have (hopefully, if all goes through) sold the house so now it will be sooner than than later. Good Luck.

Lorna.:)

Guest Roo1

Hi Lorna,

Thats fantastic that you may have a buyer for the house! Whoppeee!!!

Can't wait to meet you guys!!

Take Care and hopefully we can meet up when you get here, either at the Friday Club or for coffee.

J x

Guest deb and stoo

Hi Judi

Great idea and one we'll defo support once we get there,should be the middle/end Sept and hopefully close by in Woodcroft to start with, will keep in touch and see you all soon (as its a church hall is wine allowed?);)

:)

Guest Roo1

will keep in touch and see you all soon (as its a church hall is wine allowed?);)

:)

Wow, you guys, its not that bad here!

I know SA is the capital of good wines in Oz but we usually wait until noon before we have a glass!! lol

(Its at 10.30am not 10.30pm););)

See you in Sept! Good luck with the move

J x

Guest donna T

Hi Judy

Great idea - it is the last day of school holidays though and my hubby has booked a day off - I will try and come along just for a short while as I think it is really important to support you. Best of luck with it and hope to see you soon. x

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Really great idea - see you and everyone else next friday Judi. Let me know if you need anything bringing other than toys, biscuits ....

Sarah

Paracetamol?!

Looks like it going to be a noisy one. I'm pleased to say we are going to have quite a turn out!!

Yipeeeee!!

J x

Anyone else available Friday 20th at 10.30am? Please feel free to pop in and have a natter and you might be in luck, I may just bring a long a box of PG Tips!!!

;)

Guest happy-jools

wish we were there as we would definately pop in.

Sounds great, and hopefully will become a regular thing, and we can come in Jan 08, when we hope to come (providing we get the visa's an all).

Thanks.

:cool:

Guest Rachel & Jeff

Hi Judi

Hope this works out for you and can you keep us updated on dates for get togethers. We are over there on a recci from 25th August so if theres one on the 31st it might be nice for us to come along and meet some people already living there if thats ok.

Rachel

Guest ralph n bev

Hiya,

When were over 15th September( for 2 weeks) we'd like to come too . Good luck with it , what a fab idea, i'll keep an eye on the thread , and contact you nearer the time. It would be great to talk to some of you already living it !!

Bev;)

Guest nikkiandlee

Hi what a fantastic idea:D we are only just starting our process however if it all works out and becomes a weekly thing on a permant basis then we would love to join!! (owon't be for about 18 months though!)

Still a really great idea as it Aus could be a lonely place in those first few months for those who don't know anyone!!

Hi all!,

Can I just say what fantastic support I've had from you guys over the meet on Friday.

I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone. If this goes well on Friday then we'll be in a strong position to carry it on for everyone else who is emigrating to the South of Adelaide in the future.

Anyway, I've had a couple PM's about the exact location of Hallett Cove Uniting Church. Its on Zwerner Ave (might be Drive).

As you come into Hallett Cove via the traffic lights, the mall and petrol station is on your left. Drive past and you come to a T junction, this leads on to Zwerner. The church is directly in front of you. Theres a car park at the front and round the back.

Thanks again for all your support. I think it should be a good turn out. If you are reading this and think you'd like to pop along, then by all means do so, don't be shy.

If you can please bring a toy for your child to play with and/or to share and also some food e.g. cakes, biscuits or nibbles that us parents can relax with.

I'll provide the Tea/Coffee.

In time we can see as a group where we want this to head...ie: just a social meet up or I can arrange people to come in and talk about what people need to know about Adelaide services etc. ( Just a 10 min thing, with kids around, that could be hard work)

Ok thats all from me...I'll see you at 10.30am on Friday

Till then.....

Judi x

Woweeeeee!!!

What a fantastic Meet!!! A Big thanks to everyone who came along.

Can you believe we had 17 families turn up......absolutley amazing for our first meet.

The kids played very well together too, as us adults had a good natter. I saw a few phone numbers being swapped also, so I'm pleased new contacts were made.

Thanks too for all your support back in the U.K. It looks like this is going to be a weekly event, so when you guys arrive for a reccie or emigrate here, you must come and see us and make some new friends.

Thanks again and if you couldn't make it this week, we'll be having another one next Friday at 10.30am!

Till then!!

A Very happy Judi xxx:):):)

Guest donna T

Gutted that we missed the first one (Although the kids loved Thomas the Tank!) but will definitely be at the next one on Friday - look forward to seeing you all there.

• 2 weeks later...