Any South African's out there ?

ischa

Hi All,

I know this sounds really cheeky, considering the title of this website !!

We have been living in the UK for 10 years, but are originally from South Africa. Although we consider ourselves South African’s we are also part British and have been here most of our adult lives. We have decided to make the move down under, although we have loved our time in the UK – sand, sun and an outdoor life for our little monkeys is what we after.

I would like to get in contact with fellow South African’s in the same boat, cannot seem to find any South African chat rooms similar to this one.

We would really appreciate any feedback, even directions to a South African chat room. In the mean time, thanks for all the advice from “poms in Adelaide”............ hope we not kicked out now, as I use this site often to get really useful advice and chat to contacts ! :wubclub:

Lindi

Hi, when I went to the info session given by the goverment of SA I got this email address for the South African community: dezeeuw@senet.com.au

His name is Fred and he gave me this info.

For South African foods in Adelaide contact www.african.com.au – their phone no is 83708640 – Mark and Margie Nolan

The SA network in not very active these days but we still meet on the last Tuesday of every month at the Hackney Hotel = around 6.00pm

There is a couple on Adelaide Brits who came from South Africa via the UK. They don't use the site as much now as they have been here a while. If you PM Annette on that site they may be able to point you in the right direction!

HTH

Lea

Hi Lindi

I am South African - however Scottish too. I have also joined this forum as there seems to be very little activity happening on any other forum.

Where are you living in Adelaide? We arrived on the 12th of May 2009 so I am eager to meet other mums etc...

There are loads of South Africans out here, OH was working with quite a few, and I've chatted to several at soccer games etc. Next time I see one of them, I'll see if there is a specific "South Africans In South Australia" forum but in the meantime, consider yourself an honorary "Pom" - if that's not an insult! At least you'll be used to putting "SA" as part of your address!

Diane

Guest Vonne9

Hi we moved from South Africa 13 years ago via New Zealand, having lived for 21years on the East Rand, there is a fairly small south african community here in Adelaide, most people from SA seem to gravitate to Queensland or Perth. My family have lived in Adelaide for over fifty years, originally from England so if I can help you with any info please get in touch.

Guest GREGV

Hi Lindi

Yes I am also South African (and British) and we are moving to Adelaide ASAP. We have been here for over 9 years already but miss sun and sea. If I can help let me know.

Cheers

GREGV

Hi Lindi, (Howzit!)

Our 3 kids were born in Cape Town but we are originally British.

We have been here 2 years and have just passed the citizenship test (now 4 year requirement).

The number of South Africans is increasing in Adelaide although most go to Perth (it's almost a home game for the Boks there!).

A few South Africans have stayed with us. The web site is http://suidafrika.tripod.com/ but it's not very active. (maybe it runs on "African time". This site is great!

Maybe we can have a braai when you get here! but it will have to be gas (no rooikraans!)

Cheers...Tamara

Guest aloevera

Hi there Ischa

have a look at http://www.saaustralia.org (if you haven't already)

not specifically south africans moving to South Australia...but to Australia in general..

there are sub-sections for specific states...

generally a great forum with loads of information!

Guest Lisado

Hi Lindi

My hubby is South African and we are moving to Oz in September - if you want to chat to him, just PM me. One of the reasons we coming over is that he wants to see some sunshine:D

Take care, Lisa

By the way, you can buy the South African chutney Mrs. Balls at David Jones in Rundle Mall, in the Foodhall downstairs. If you live closer to a different David Jones I think they would order it in for you, as long as they stock it, which they do.

By the way, you can buy the South African chutney Mrs. Balls at David Jones in Rundle Mall, in the Foodhall downstairs. If you live closer to a different David Jones I think they would order it in for you, as long as they stock it, which they do.

Hi, thanks for this :o You can also order online from the South African shop

www.african.com.au and they deliver!!! They have loads of stuff like rooibos tea, pronutro, real mayo etc...

• 1 year later...

Dear Lindi (Ischa)

I found this post of yours, but it is pretty old so I am not sure if you still use this site.

I am in the same position you were in, except we have not actually made the move to Adelaide YET. I would really appreciate some advice from you or anyone else out there in Adelaide.

To sum up my position: I was born in SA and lived there for 23 years but moved to the UK in 1993. I am now a British Citizen. I have loved living here and consider myself British but I now have a young family and I would like to give them what I had as a child. Outdoor living and excersize. They are forever sick and get to play outsidefor only 3 months of the year. I also miss the warmth of people who live in warm climates, if that makes sense.

We have started the application process for a business visa with the intention of moving to Melbourne as my husband is in IT. However, Melbourne has become very expensive and the weather there is pretty damp and not good for asthmatics. My son is an asthmatic. Someone recommended Adelaide and after doing lots of research it looks pretty perfect.

My concerns: Are there good hospitals (son has severe food allergies that can cause anaphylaxis and he has asthma)

Does it feel isolated?

Would we be welcomed or is it hard to make friends?

Can anyone give me any advice.

Sorry to ramble on. I really did try to condense my thoughts.

Thanks

Bridget

Hi ladies

If you are on Facebook - go to "South African Mom's in Adelaide" - we have a very active mom's group and would love to meet you. Although it says South African mom's all mom's are welcome.

Anything I can help with please let me know :-)

Take care.

Hi All,

Wow, reading my original post I can't believe so much has happened since then – had another baby and moved to Oz!!

We have been here 3 months now and I must say it’s lovely – I really like Adelaide. For us it was between Perth and Adelaide and so far we are very happy with our decision.

We do miss the UK, more than what I thought – cost of living is very high here, even compare to the UK.......... I miss the ease of the UK, miss friendships – but then we have gained so much as well. We have two little boys and they love the outdoor life – here you can plan a bbq for the weekend and know it will happen and not be rained out!!! It is still very early days for us, but so far from what we have seen it’s a great life and the mould is there for you to do with it what you want. Takes time to get use to the work environment, but it was when we moved to the UK many moons ago – so I’m sure with time it will all fall into place. We are still getting settled, but every day we are closer to feeling a bit more at home.....

We have already met some lovely people, there is a very big South African community here and they are all very helpful. “Moms in Adelaide” is a lovely group to join.

Bridget – from what I have heard the Woman’s and Children hospital in the city is very good – you may want to research them to answer some questions. Also Flinders Medical centre........ send me a PM if you have any other questions, or just want to chat. We have only been here 3 months, so may not have all the answers but will help with what I can.

Good luck – it’s a ride......

Lindi

Guest jakeandshelley

Hi,

don't know if i qualify but my parents emmigrated to south africa and i was born in johannesburgh. However i have spent all of my adult life in scotland only returning to south africa once, 5 years ago, although my parents return on an annual basis. My husband (and 2 boys) are hoping to obtain a 176 visa and settle in adelaide.

Regards,

Shelley Scott

Guest Squareman

Funnily enough, I was born in Scotland and raised in Joburg. Have never considered myself truly South African though, which isn't difficult considering the afrikaners hated the 'rooi-nek' guts during the apartheid years and the new govt isn't too fond of whites! hehe