Guest Robarts Family

Hi,

Does anyone know if:

Happy Valley

Flagstaff Hill

Aberfoyle Park

Sempaphore

Blackwood

Are nice places to live, not too far to drive to the city for work, up and coming and good for a young family who like to do things? Easy to get to places etc

Any help/advise is much appreciated.

I am finding it really hard to narrow down my search on where is best to live which will suit us.

Thanks again

Guest rich

I'm biased maybe but we've bought in Flagstaff Hill. I think it's a lovely area, quite near to the countryside, not overly far to the beach (short drive) and 20 mins from the city. It had a relaxed vibe to me and was one of those places where everything is in easy reach, kind of like being sat at the dinner table and being able to reach the ketchup, salt and pepper as well as your own food!

Aberfoyle was nice too I thought.

Lots of people have differing opinions but it really depends what you're looking for - house types and so forth.

Rich

From the places you mention, I only been to Blackwood, it has nice views over the city, as it is in the Hills. It has a few supermarkets, local library, etc. Seems nice. But driving in Blackwood can be tricky, as some of the roads are very steep.

Hi,

Semaphore is the northern burb there, right on the coast..............and about 20 drive to the city. I thought it a bit quiet for us, but its nice.

The others are more southern; and from what i have seen, very nice.

You get a bit more for your money in the southern burbs that you mention; often the plots are a bit bigger, houses more modern..................if you intend to buy.

Everyone has there own opinions, and you really have to make your own mind up, but.........i have spoken to a few estate agents, and they seem to favour living in Flagstaff and Happy Valley..................good luck with your search!

Jane

Guest Andrew&Ren

Hi

We are in Glenelg which is fab! :)

Out of your list the only area we considered was Semaphore. Its a nice little beach town but we found it a bit quiet for us and a bit of a 1950s america vibe about it! But eh everyone is different and what suits one person may not suit another, if i was you i would wait till you are out here and have a good drive around looking at places.

Flagstaff and Happy valley seem to be popular places for poms but ive never been just heard them mentioned!

Good luck x

Guest Robarts Family

Hi,

Thanks ever so much for your comments,

To be honest I am just researching at this stage as we are applying for State sponsorship as I am an Office Manager. I passed the skills assessment yesterday but just working on the sposorship apllication. So I need to research an area where we want to live and wasn't sure what area to focus on. I as going to focus on one area, just because there is so much to do.

I really appreciate all your help though.

Thanks

Jo

Hi

We live in Happy Valley and love it here. We are fortunate enough to back onto a reserve and in a no through road which is great as the children can play outside without having to worry about cars racing past.

There is also an excellent Primary School in Happy Valley, which is in walking distance from my house and my daughter and I walk to School most mornings with our dog.

The neighbours are all very nice, friendly and welcoming.

A great choice for us.

Good Luck.

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi guys

My vote goes to Blackwood, where I live. Beautiful views of the coast and the city from up here, city is about 20/30 mins drive, traffic dependant of course. Lots of local amenities, we have all the 3 major supermarkets, Coles, Woolies and Foodland, lots of banks, a library, clothes shops, bakers, butchers, green grocers but no candle stick makers!!! LOL. Blackwood and surrounding areas has a very "countryside" feeling about it, whilst not being out in the sticks. Brighton is our nearest beach, closely followed by Seacliff and Glenelg, about 15 mins drive. We have Marion shopping centre about 10 mins away too. Great bus service and train service from here to the city. Free parking for shoppers, what more can I say??? It's great here, but where to live is very much a personal choice, obviously, one man's meat is another's poison and all that.

Hope this gives you a bit of an insight into Blackwood. On the note of some of the roads being tricky, some of them are a bit windy and can be steep, but I drive a meagre Hyundai Getz (and am a woman!) and have not found this to be an issue. Now, pulling out onto Shepherds Hill Road in a morning from Blackwood Primary School, well, don't even get me started!!!!

Best wishes and good luck with your plans and preperations

Mandy

Guest covfan71

If anyone had a choice between Happey Valley, Flagstaff Hill and Hallett Cove what would they pick. Bearing in mind shopping, Schools and transport. We were looking in that area but Christies Beach has now come into the picture, although may be a bit far from the City for us.

• 1 month later...
Guest Lorraine Brinsden

Four bedroom house at craigburn farm (blackwood park) one km from blackwood> large house master bedroom withbuilt in robe

Guest Libby1971

Happy Valley is a good place for families as are the surrounding areas of Woodcroft, Reynella East, Old Reynella, Aberfoyle Park, Sheidow Park, Trott Park and Flagstaff. All of them connect to South Road which is one of the main routes into the city and you can be in the city in half an hour, longer if in rush hour but not much. The expressway is another route and is very closeby to these suburbs.

You can reach a number of beaches within 10 mins from these suburbs and there are are both small local shops as well as larger shopping malls within 15 mins. The two main larger shopping areas are Colonnades at Noarlunga and Marion Shopping Centre which is huge. Both have cinemas and bowling alleys. Near Noarlunga is an ice rink. Sports facilities are in the area and the schools around these areas are good, both primary and secondary, some of which host other clubs for children. I know this because one is just opening at Reynella East High School for dancing, singing and drama for kids. Jojo on here has children of primary age who are also in Happy Valley, pm her for some information (I hope she doesn't mind me giving her details).

There are plenty of reserves arund for the kids to play on. In Aberfoyle there has been some new building going on in isolated pockets (one or two houses here and there) but no significant developments meaning the areas are quite established.

Chrisites Beach did have a reputation a few years ago but there has been alot of investment in the area and it is now a rising area.

I cannot comment on the other areas having little knowledge of them, only reputation.

Hi. Just read your thread. We moved to Australia a few weeks ago and have just bought a house in Flagstaff Hill. We move in on the 7th August. Whereabouts in Flagstaff did you buy? We purchased a house on an estate above Black Road. Can't wait to move out of our rental property!

Lana

Hi

We are renting in Flagstaff Hill and absolutley love it, we have spent a lot of time driving round and the areas we love are Flagstaff, Aberfoyle Park and Blackwood, really really lovely, very lived in, lots of trees and lots of character..I get the impression so far they are all great family areas to then to be honest the whole of Adelaide seems to be! Just have a good look round when you get here, I was set on Hallet Cove for 12months and now I am a Flagstaff convert.

Denise

Hi. Just read your thread. We moved to Australia a few weeks ago and have just bought a house in Flagstaff Hill. We move in on the 7th August. Whereabouts in Flagstaff did you buy? We purchased a house on an estate above Black Road. Can't wait to move out of our rental property!

Lana

We bought in Flagstaff Pines by Black Road. Is that the same as you?

We get to Adelaide 6th August but it won't be ready for a while...

rich

Hi Rich.

We bought the other side of Flagstaff Road (Seppings Court) in one of the established estates. Flagstaff Pines looks nice though. We have a 3 year year old and a baby due in September and thought that Flagstaff looked good for families.

Lana

Guest The Hadleys
Hi,

Does anyone know if:

Happy Valley

Flagstaff Hill

Aberfoyle Park

Sempaphore

Blackwood

Are nice places to live, not too far to drive to the city for work, up and coming and good for a young family who like to do things? Easy to get to places etc

Any help/advise is much appreciated.

I am finding it really hard to narrow down my search on where is best to live which will suit us.

Thanks again

Flagstaff is very nice, we have lived there for 8 months, blackwood is very nice have friends who live there, other places can not comment.

Good luck with your move

Dawn

Guest Moloney

Hi There

I would have to say that Happy Valley, Flagstaff Hill and Aberfoyle Park are all great suburbs. There are a lot of poms in Flagstaff Hill and there are good schools across the area. It is full of wonderful australian wildlife. Our school (Craigburn Primary) which is at Flagstaff Hill often has Koalas in the school grounds. There are many kookaburras in the area as well. There are lots of gum trees all over these areas which makes it very countryfide while still being in the burbs. If you find a place on the high side of Aberfoyle Park you can see across the Happy Valley Reservoir to the sea. (this is where I live). The Hub shopping centre has grown in size over the years we have been here. It has 3 supermarkets (coles, woolworths and Foodland) local library here with internet access. From Aberfoyle Park it is only a 5 minutes drive to a country town called Clarendon. In the surrounds there is horse riding places etc. We have a good neighbourhood watch system in the area. Only crime we hear about is mainly graffitti here and there. This is usually cleaned up pretty quickly by local neighbourhoods or the Council. Buses run from the Hub into town which takes about 45-50 minutes peak hour. Blackwood is only about 12 minutes drive. I think if you choose any of the above mentioned suburbs you would be happy.

Oh yes, new Gym just opened down the road in Happy Valley near the school that was mentioned. Also new child care next door. Next door to that Swimming Centre where the local children go to learn to swim.

You could always have a look around these neighbour hoods on Google Street. That's always fun.

Good Luck