sueoc

Adelaide and the uk

Hi,what were the differences that surprised or amazed you when you arrived in Adelaide?We found the culture a lot different than we expected!Some better,some not,and some strange.We found it intriguing,i'm just wondering how others felt during their first few weeks.

Guest Andrew&Ren

Pace of life is slower....eating out is cheap and really good....people are friendlier....music scene is crap ;) lol...we are from Manchester though so music was a big thing there!

Guest kangomik

the amount of time traffic lights take to change LOL

Guest Fancy a Beer

Amazed how crap the driving is, it is soooo bad!!

Shocked how expensive food shopping is, and how bad the quality of some of it is!!

Amazed how little choice of kids clothes there are!!

Shocked at the cost of decent leather shoes!!

Other than that everything is good!! ;)

Guest kangomik

do you really think the driving is soo bad here?

I am always amazed when people say this. Yes they don't know how to keep a distance in the wet.... but is the rest really so bad compared to the horn pomping tailgating traffic jams in the UK?

35K miles a year i did in the UK, stressed and always bullying for position. yet here i find it so easy

Maybe that makes me one of those bad drivers here

Amazed how crap the driving is, it is soooo bad!!

Shocked how expensive food shopping is, and how bad the quality of some of it is!!

Amazed how little choice of kids clothes there are!!

Shocked at the cost of decent leather shoes!!

Other than that everything is good!! ;)

Well Fancy a Beer!What can i say to that?....mmm...Yup,i agree 100%.

Amazed how little choice of kids clothes there are!! They dont wear many clothes

Shocked at the cost of decent leather shoes!! Don't wear shoes either....:biglaugh:

Guest Fancy a Beer
    do you really think the driving is soo bad here?

I am always amazed when people say this. Yes they don't know how to keep a distance in the wet.... but is the rest really so bad compared to the horn pomping tailgating traffic jams in the UK?

35K miles a year i did in the UK, stressed and always bullying for position. yet here i find it so easy

Maybe that makes me one of those bad drivers here

I think it depends where you spend most of your time driving, in the Uk I spent alot of my time sat on the M25 and the driving here with regards to traffic etc cant compare to the UK, it is the mentality of the drivers that gets me, around my local area its not that bad, you get the odd prat, but I drive in and out of the city most days and the driving is just crazy!! The papers at the moment say it all!

Guest Rob and Clare

Your right it is wierd here.

For a country that is almost soley made up of generations of migrants it is very different than the countries that fed it.

I am genually peeved now when i don't get great service as it seems to be the norm, and then we don't even tip service staff, they're usually friendly cause it's their job, not cause they want something. I gave a tip to a pub staff member when we first arrived and she gave it me back.

Driving is a killer here, it even appeared on the current affairs news programs about how bad it is. I saw an accident tonight when a 2 trailer truck was just inches behind another car, and when the car breaked to turn left the truck hit them. and this is not uncommon. and then I'm amazed when the news reporters show horrific crashes caused by some teenager when they let the teenagers drive powerful cars without insurance, why are they suprised ? that's just stupid. and traffic lights.. do they we need so many... has australia not embraced the roundabout ? I remember reading (maybe on here) that when australians first had roundabouts they had special lessons on how to cope.

I am amazed at the amount of entertainment you get here, I stopped going to concerts in the uk, due to prices and the difficulties to get to venues, but since i've been here I've seen Chubby Brown, Ben Elton, Adam Hills, Dylan Moran, Andre Reiu, Ardel O hanlon, Danny Bhoy, Rove, Peter Hellier, Chopper Read 3 times, Robbie Williams, U2, and there's loads I missed or still want to see. Off to see Ross Noble next week.

Charges...... Why does everything have extra charges..... you buy a car and you add stamp duty plus other on road costs, you pay for a driving license, you can pay to apply for a loan from the bank, i mean I'm giving them business, I should get the cash not them.

Guest Jo&Phil

You're sooo right ....

Why do people always drive on the right when the left lane is empty? Why don't they every look in their rear view mirror (or any mirror) unless they're checking out their own hair-do? Why ...........oh never mind.

Mind you .......... the Aussie habits of reversing up the street for the park spotted as you drive by it and the ubiquitous U-turns are very easy to take on board ! Very useful habits - I'm obviously turning into an Adelaide driver.

Guest Fancy a Beer
    Your right it is wierd here.

For a country that is almost soley made up of generations of migrants it is very different than the countries that fed it.

I am genually peeved now when i don't get great service as it seems to be the norm, and then we don't even tip service staff, they're usually friendly cause it's their job, not cause they want something. I gave a tip to a pub staff member when we first arrived and she gave it me back.

Driving is a killer here, it even appeared on the current affairs news programs about how bad it is. I saw an accident tonight when a 2 trailer truck was just inches behind another car, and when the car breaked to turn left the truck hit them. and this is not uncommon. and then I'm amazed when the news reporters show horrific crashes caused by some teenager when they let the teenagers drive powerful cars without insurance, why are they suprised ? that's just stupid. and traffic lights.. do they we need so many... has australia not embraced the roundabout ? I remember reading (maybe on here) that when australians first had roundabouts they had special lessons on how to cope.

I am amazed at the amount of entertainment you get here, I stopped going to concerts in the uk, due to prices and the difficulties to get to venues, but since i've been here I've seen Chubby Brown, Ben Elton, Adam Hills, Dylan Moran, Andre Reiu, Ardel O hanlon, Danny Bhoy, Rove, Peter Hellier, Chopper Read 3 times, Robbie Williams, U2, and there's loads I missed or still want to see. Off to see Ross Noble next week.

Charges...... Why does everything have extra charges..... you buy a car and you add stamp duty plus other on road costs, you pay for a driving license, you can pay to apply for a loan from the bank, i mean I'm giving them business, I should get the cash not them.

With you on most of your comments, but going to see Andre Reiu in concert, you totally lost me there!! :shocked::shocked:

Guest kangomik

Fancy a beer

I drive through the city on a regular basis, out to murray bridge, down to Victor, up to port wakefield and across to the river lands. It's all TOO EASY.

Was it less than 100 deaths last year on the road here? i reckon Lancashire had more than that in a matter of months, and look at the size.

Hoons in V'8's well yes a little silly. but they are not all kids, take a look....... and boy do they love the rain.

Entertainment......... they reckon Adelaide is a back water..... there are some big names visit, maybe they want a quiet day or two, it amazes me how much is going on around the city.

Guest Rob and Clare
    With you on most of your comments, but going to see Andre Reiu in concert, you totally lost me there!! :shocked::shocked:

Ha ha... I just wanted to know what it would be like to see something more refined and classical one night.... and they sold beer so I was happy.

Guest Rob and Clare

I'm sorry to be boring, but the statistics for the west midlands are, 262 deaths on the roads of the west midlands in 2007, that covers a population of over 5 million, who drive an average of over 30,000km per year, whilst in Australia the average Km per year for a car is just 15,000km.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/excel/173025/221412/221549/228019/416630/gordistrictlevel07.xls#Tab2.1abc!A1

Check out table 2.1C for the stats.

So just to be as bad or good as drivers from the midlands there should be no more than 25 deaths per annum in adelaide. So to have approx 100 deaths is 4 times worse than the midlands (who have the busiest intersection in Europe with the M6), and Adelaide roads are slower (maybe not slower than the M6 though).

Which ever way you look at it, there is a problem with driving in Adelaide.

Many of the guys i work with though have to get the sporty versions of cars, one fellow manager has a Masda 3 MPS, another has a V8 commadore, the stores manager has a nissan 200sx, the director has a V6 Golf and if we go to the pub at lunch they race each other down Sherrifs road, and they are all in there 30's or 40's. There is a culture here of speed and power in a car, and as kids don't need insurance, they drive the same types of car also. It is a recipe for disaster.

Guest kangomik

i thought the death toll on roads for the uk exceeded 10,000 per annum.

Will a fast car= certain death............ or a rust bucket?

Getting back to the origiinal question, and leaving the driving standards alone here (although the long waits at traffic lights are to enable me to do my hair and make-up in the mornings - come on!), what it's taken me a while to get used to is that the postman doesn't come at weekends, and the dustmen do come on bank holiday - sorry, public holiday - Mondays! Gave us quite a shock that one when it first happened - just when OH thought he was getting a lie in, he got kicked out pretty fast to put the bins out!!

Guest Emu

Before I moved here, my Australian friends told me that Adelaide is a big country town, that it wouldn't be their first choice if they had to move back to Oz. I wasn't sure what they meant until I arrived and totally got it! It is a bit behind with the times and it feels rather small. It's over 1 million people but where are they?

The city it feels like 2 streets, North Terrace and Rundle Mall/Rundle Street, nothing else really worth a visit! Ok, maybe Gouger Street with the Central Market and Chinatown. The rest is just office buildings, nothing is open at weekends (apart from the Streets mentioned).

There's good coffee and good restaurants, specially Italian and sushi is very cheap and fresh.

I miss Waitrose and Marks & Spencer, where if you were lazy to cook you could always find something already made. Also miss Boots.

i thought the death toll on roads for the uk exceeded 10,000 per annum.

Will a fast car= certain death............ or a rust bucket?

I've always thought that the Uk was safer than Australia so I looked up some statistics. In 2007 there were 2,946 deaths in the UK (including pedestrians) and 1,616 deaths in Australia. So less than twice as many deaths for a population much greater than double.

I also found this on a UK govt statistics website

The UK has a good record for road safety compared with most other EU countries. In 2006 it had one of the lowest road death rates in the EU, at 5.4 per 100,000 population. The UK rate was also lower than the rates for other industrialised nations such as the United States (14.3 per 100,000 population), Australia (7.8 per 100,000 population) and Japan (5.7 per 100,000 population).

Given that the roads in the UK are much busier, then UK drivers are much much better. The problem in Australia is that the roads are empty, people get bored and either lose concentration or fall asleep at the wheel. The death rate in the Northern Territory in 2007 was a staggering 26.05 per 100,000 - SA was 7.83.