Guest Admar72

Olympic dam project

Guest Admar72

I was having a mooch to find out what this Olympic dam expansion project was all about. Having a read through this and that I came accross this report. It was all a bit technical for me but got me wondering what it means exactly for South Australia, is it a good thing or a bad thing?? :confused: If anyone knows the answer or if anyone has an opinion on it i'd love to know what you think as i'm a little confused.

http://bravenewclimate.com/2009/04/05/carbon-footprint-of-the-olympic-dam-uranium-mine-expansion/

Maria

Very good article. Basically we will produce loads more greenhouse gases in SA by expanding the mine. But the affects of NOT expanding the mine would result in even more greenhouse gases due to the fact that the uranium power plants that will be powered by the mineral production would not be able to operate, and thus a fossil fueled power plant would have to be introduced, which produces even more greenhouse gases (even if it is in another state/country) then the GLOBAL effect would be greater. And aside from the fact that the carbon footprint increases, the fact that this is in SA means long-term employment, and also long-term investment, giving much needed revenue to the state as it continues to beat recession!

Guest Admar72

Thanks ShaunWilson for taking the time to read it and for putting a few things straight in my not so knowledged grey matter, Lol