Guest elaine77

Young family needing help!

Guest elaine77

:v_SPIN:Hi everyone I'm new to this website and am considering moving to Adelaide, where I will be a primary teacher, with my young daughter (aged 4) and partner but do not know where to start! Are salaries good? Do you rent a house or buy one? Also, me and my partner are not married, would this cause problems for both of us moving over? I am so confused!! Any advice or people who have been in this situation would be a great help! :wacko::huh:

Guest Trakki

Hiya and welcome to PIA. Can't help with all your questions but me and Pete are not married (have 4 kids and one on the way!!!) and it didn't pose a problem with the visa. We got a 175. As long as you can prove that you are in a long term relationship ie statements form family, joint invitations, council tax bills with both your names on, rent agreements with both your names, mortgage in both names etc then you will be fine.

Good luck with it all and I am sure it will all come together in the end.

Hi Elaine, we weren't married when we applied either, although we finally tied the knot a month before we flew out. As Tracey said, you need joint statements, bills and that sort of thing to prove it's a long term relationship. As for your other questions, well they're a bit harder to answer. As regards renting or buying, that's down to individual choice. We bought a house within two weeks of arriving here purely because we wanted our children to have a place they could really call their own after living in rented accommodation in the UK and a caravan park when we first got here. Many people are quite happy to rent for 6 or 12 months or so until they find an area that they really like or maybe until they decide whether they even want to stay or not. Wages, well there are a few teachers on here who can help you there, I'm sure Libby will pop up any minute to fill you in!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Guest Allybinoz42

In the Govt system starting salaries for teachers on Step 1 are just over $50,000. If oyu can get paperwork to prove years of service oyu can go further up steps and therefore get more pay. Competition for primary jobs is high, Govt jobs are allocated within a v.complicated system. However I am sure if you start as a temp contract and they like you, ways can always be found.

Renting or buying is largely the same as the UK although rents here tend to be lower than mortgages. Competition for rentals can be high.

Hope this helps

Check out Teachers Registration Board of SA and DECS (Department of Education and Children's Services) for further info.