Guest willow1234

wots the job situation like

Guest willow1234

hi there all , just wounderin wot the situation is like,we are a family of 4 hubby(brickie),myself(upholstry machinist)15yr old daughter and 13yr old son.im new to this so please forgive me.we have just sent our medicals and police cert off so hopefully not long to wait now(after 16 months)we are lookin at the south/southeast suburbs but it depends on work.i havnt seen much talk on builder/brickies .can anyone help !

Hi there and welcome!

The job situation is getting tougher...unemployment is going up and the number of advertised jobs going down. I think that a lot depends upon how you go about looking for a job and you can get frustrated by not getting work in a hurry. There is all the registration issues to sort through as well (business licence if self employed, white card for sites etc) but it's nothing that cannot be sorted.

Having said that...we have a family with us a the moment and he's a builder. He's gone out to sites...worked in the North for a while and has just got another job locally. His new employer told him that he never advertises as people approach him through word of mouth referrals so you would never see this vacancy anywhere even though it existed.

Our personal experiences are that job web sites are a complete waste of time and effort as your applications vanish into cyber nowhere and it's depressing to never get a response.

Use this web site...try to establish a network of people in the same business and someone knows someone who can maybe open a door for you.

Hope that helps.

Tamara