Guest cazandbrad

So many questions!

Guest cazandbrad

Hi, driving myself crazy researching surburbs and schools and everything really! Hoping I can get some good honest opinions on here :)

First question is how did you sort everything out when you got to aus, my oh and I were thinking about coming out alone sorting schools, a rental and things then my in laws bringing the kids out a month later?

Has anyone done this? Do you reckon I could secure a rental in a month?

And other question is we are completley torn between aldinga beach and seaford rise, seaford rise seems to be more livley, closer to everything, good schools BUT aldinga beach looks really new and fresh and is right on the beach!

Any advice please, sorry about the questions!

Caz xxxx

Sorry can't help with your questions just wanted to say welcome to PIA :D

Wish I had in-laws that could bring the kids over once we're in Oz :confused:

Good luck with everything :cute:

Guest cazandbrad

Thank you

I dont know how they will cope with three young children, a few flight changes, the luggage etc, will be a miracle if they all get there! ha

Yes welcome to PIMS it's a great place for advice etc. We are also trying to figure out where to live schools etc but it all depends on where OH works. I think we are going to holiday let then look once we are out there for a rental.

Hope some others have some better advice?

Guest cazandbrad

Yeah my oh is hoping to get a place at sa police as he is an officer here in the uk, just researching into a sponsorship of his job or if that fails well try for a jobs in demand visa as i am a midwife here, just want to get there!!!!

Guest mOZzy

hi and welcome to pia :cute:

i like the idea of leaving the kids and getting the in-laws to drop them by after a month.

we have 2 little ones and i am not looking forward to searching around for everything.

i guess we'll just have to split up. one will look for a rental and the other one for a car.

we'll drag them along a few times but i guess they'll get bored soon.

will have to make lots of ice cream stops :biglaugh:

we do have some great friends out there already so we kind of hope they will help out too :D

Guest guest3462

Hi there, we sorted out our rental while still in the UK through LJ Hooker and it was fine. You have a great advantage of being child free when you first arrive so you can go about the mad rush to get cars and furniture etc sorted out. We did sort of split up to do that when we arrived, Rich got the cars and I did the shopping lol! I think you'd have no problem securing a rental when you arrive, there are loads and loads available. We are in Aldinga beach and it is lovely. It's only 10 mins drive from Seaford and 15 mins from Noarlunga/christies beach so its not so isolated that you feel out in the sticks. There are also at lot of British ex pats living here, I suppose that has a lot to do with the massive development on the Bayswood and Sunday estates. The beach is also amazing and you can drive on in summer which is even better.

As for schools, we are just starting with that ourselves as our kids are still pre kindy age, but every school we've rang have been friendly and approachable and we've been able to make appointments to go look round. It's a good time just now as they are enrolling for the next terms.

Have you thought about a holiday rental when you first arrive? that way you'll be fully furnishes and have all the essentials for the first 2 weeks while you get sorted.

Good luck with evereything and hope to meet you soon

Love Julia xxx

If you are heading down that way, I have a friend with a furnished house near Sellicks Beach, which is close to Aldinga, so if you want their details to get in touch with them about renting it, let me know.

Diane

Yeah my oh is hoping to get a place at sa police. If your hubby transfers to SAPOL he may be sent to the country, or any location in Adelaide as they have to fill the vacancies everywhere. Also bear in mind the Police accademy is near Port Adelaide (Taparoo) so a long drive from Aldinga each day.

Guest milly123
    Hi, driving myself crazy researching surburbs and schools and everything really! Hoping I can get some good honest opinions on here :)

First question is how did you sort everything out when you got to aus, my oh and I were thinking about coming out alone sorting schools, a rental and things then my in laws bringing the kids out a month later?

Has anyone done this? Do you reckon I could secure a rental in a month?

And other question is we are completley torn between aldinga beach and seaford rise, seaford rise seems to be more livley, closer to everything, good schools BUT aldinga beach looks really new and fresh and is right on the beach!

Any advice please, sorry about the questions!

Caz xxxx

If you can get your in-laws to bring the children 4 weeks after you, then you will have a good start. You should get a rental in 4 weeks no problem in Aldinga or Seaford rise. I live in seaford rise and its still a far way out from the city (40mins/1hr), schools are ok, but not much choice, As for livley............

I would book a few weeks holiday rental in a place near to the city, that way you r central to looking about , rent a car, get a large map section it of into 4, then drive round the sections day by day, then you will have had a good look at the areas.

Guest monnyb20

Hi...I have lived in both places...Seaford for 5 years and just moved to Aldinga Beach 12th feb.....I love Aldinga so much..

My two kids are at school in Seaford All Saints catholic school....(not expencive like back home) and im only 10 min drive fromAldonga to seaford...Loveto peace and its a bit more countryfied.

U will love it.Seafordis becomming like toy town

Sally

Guest bentkitty

We found a rental within 2 weeks of landing and we moved in in the third week. But that meant taking absolutely no time off upon landing, and it was 'go, go, go' from the point the plane touched down and fairly exhausting. I would say allow 4 weeks in short term accommodation to secure a permanent rental to be on the safe side, especially if you land with the kids and intend to go into holiday mode for a few days.

We are in Brighton and I dont know the southern suburbs so well. also dont have kids so cant advise on schools, but our neighbours moved here last year from Wales with their 6 year old, they brought her with them, and searched for schools after. They did not struggle to find a place in local schools at all as apparently they arent crowded to bursting point unlike some places in the UK - in fact the school nearest to us recently closed down because there werent 'enough kids!'!!

One piece of advice I can give you is to buy a car as soon as you can upon landing, on your day 1 if you can. It makes life so much easier. My husband and I spent the first 4 days or so just driving all over town, getting a feel for neighbourhoods and identifying areas that felt right for us.

good luck! feel free to pm me if you have any arrival related questions.