Do we need a sheet before we go?

Guest Woody and Jane

Guest Woody and Jane

We've just had a removals company round to price up our move to Adelaide and were told that the our king size beds are called double beds in Oz and the reason why people "complain" that bedding is so expensive is because they have UK double beds which aren't manufactured in Oz so all their bedding has to be imported, thus making them more pricey.

Is this true, he seemed to know what he was talking about regarding other matters? If it is true we won't bother buying lots of nice new sheets before we move.

He also told us we were right in not wanting to take our fridge freezer because it had a lower thermostat and less insulation so wouldn't cope with the heat, leaving us with a nice puddle of water on particularly hot days.

Cheers

Woody.

Guest Lisado

Hi there

We are using EVL International - www.evl.co.uk

They have been great so far and not tat expensive - we are sharing a container as not much to take and its worked out better for us.

We ar ebuying new fridge/freezer and they havent said anthing to us!

Ps just ordered radiators and hot water bottles to bring too!

Lisa

Guest Woody and Jane

Yeah Manchester can be expensive but not for bedding when we have shops like Tesco, Asda and Matalan close by.

We're using John Mason, or plan to anyway, and we'll fill less than half a 20 foot container so we'll be sharing too. We're just going through a massive cleansing of our stuff, at the moment eBay is our friend (except their fees but that's for another post on a different site). We're just trying to get together as much cash as we can at the moment, Jane is also working extra shifts at the hospital. We know things will be tough when we arrive so we're trying to create a nice buffer should things not go according to plan i.e. both get jobs pretty sharpish.

Thanks

Woody.

Guest stufi1997
Yeah Manchester can be expensive but not for bedding when we have shops like Tesco, Asda and Matalan close by.

Woody.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

bedding is called manchester here.....but I'm guessing you knew that:wubclub:

Bedding covers and sheets of any kind of decent quality are very expensive here,we brought out some good quality stuff(king size)and it was a good decision.Actual beds and quilts are not all that expensive,decent pillows are,but i would bring out accesories.All the best ,Sue.

Guest greggies5

Hi

Just wanted to let you know our experience. We brought our King Size bed but not our mattress. We bought a new king size mattress when we got here, only to discover its about 12 inches too big so currently it hangs 6 inches over each side! Aussie king size is approx. 6ft wide. Bedding or "Manchester" as its called here is expensive and I don't think its as good quality so stock up before you leave and get as much in the container as possible even duvets and pillows, I wish I had. Something else thats really popular is Queen size and King single. Not sure about the fridge because we bought a new one here so can't help on that one. Hope that helps!

Guest SA Great
:biglaugh::biglaugh:

bedding is called manchester here.....but I'm guessing you knew that:wubclub:

Yeah I had a bit of a chuckle when i read that!!!! A friend of mine was in target and they announced over the pa "can someone from manchester please go to the front checkout" so he went!! obviously he knew what they meant but when he said 'yeah i'm from manchester, what do you want?" they had a good laugh. why is it called manchester? do you reckon it's something to do with the cotton mills?

Guest kangomik

Loads of fridges on ebay and the advertiser, But beware, sometimes its cheaper to buy from the shop (warranty) Ebay here is not like it is in the UK. you are not guaranteed a cheap price.

Are you guys aware of the problems with shared containers. IE not knowing what your sharing with. Release fee's etc?????

Guest Woody and Jane

Ha! Knowing that bedding is called Manchester in Oz will give us amusement for many years to come, I don't think it will ever get old.

Hi Kangomik, John Mason didn't mention anything about release fees, what are they? I guess there's a risk to sharing if the people you're sharing with need to have their stuff decontaminated you may also get stung. For an upfront fee of £15 we can insure against having to pay any decontamination fee levied on arrival.

Ok so if we are buying a new bed in oz what size sheets should I buy in the uk? We currently have a king size bed but it is not coming with us!

Also is it worth getting kids duvet and stuff?

Australian King Size = UK Super King Size (6 foot)

Australian Queen Size = UK King Size (5 foot)

We use our Australian Queen size sheets on our UK king size bed, they fit perfectly OK.

Guest greggies5

Hi

Double bed size seems to be roughly the same in both countries (we brought one with us and bought one here) but you get the difference when you start talking king size. Here they have queen size which is really popular and thats the same as UK king size but I don't think you'd find queen size sheets in the UK. Maybe the best idea would be to get a queen size bed here and bring king size sheets/duvets over with you, I think thats the only way to do it. We had a "budget" for bedding and it got blown on duvets alone! My advice would be just to bring as much as you can, kids bedding also. Other people might tell you different but just getting everybody sorted with beds, duvets, pillows and bedding cost us a small fortune, much more than we expected so thats what I'd do if I could do it again. Just as an example off the top of my head I reckon you'd be paying anywere around £50/60+ for a sheet set (2 sheets 2 pillowcases) so its not Matalan! And are they better quality? No, not really, its just something thats expensive here for some strange reason. Setting up again costs more than you think it will so just bring everything you can.

I'm curious why people here say that sheets and bedding is expensive? Where are you shopping? Myers? There are always offers on at all the main stores such as Big W and KMart and Target, also Harris Scarfe for slightly better quality stuff - it's just a matter of checking the junk mail, and then there is Spotlight - again, there are always offers, and even Designer Direct, where if you look carefully you can get decent stuff at reasonable prices. How much does a sheet set cost in the UK? The discount shops (Cunnos, the Warehouse, Cheap As Chips) also sell bedding, and so do the bigger Coles and Woolworths. In the junk mail last week there was plenty of stuff on sale for about $30 for a queen size set - flat sheet, fitted sheet and two pillow cases, and the quilt cover and matching pillow case sets are about the same - although obviously you can pay a lot more. It's been a while since I shopped for such things in the UK, but are prices really that much lower than here? The only problem I find is that fitted sheets don't always take into account the new style mattresses with double cushion tops, so I've broken a few nails stretching them on!

Guest greggies5
I'm curious why people here say that sheets and bedding is expensive? Where are you shopping? Myers? There are always offers on at all the main stores such as Big W and KMart and Target, also Harris Scarfe for slightly better quality stuff - it's just a matter of checking the junk mail, and then there is Spotlight - again, there are always offers, and even Designer Direct, where if you look carefully you can get decent stuff at reasonable prices. How much does a sheet set cost in the UK? The discount shops (Cunnos, the Warehouse, Cheap As Chips) also sell bedding, and so do the bigger Coles and Woolworths. In the junk mail last week there was plenty of stuff on sale for about $30 for a queen size set - flat sheet, fitted sheet and two pillow cases, and the quilt cover and matching pillow case sets are about the same - although obviously you can pay a lot more. It's been a while since I shopped for such things in the UK, but are prices really that much lower than here? The only problem I find is that fitted sheets don't always take into account the new style mattresses with double cushion tops, so I've broken a few nails stretching them on!

Some things have got dearer in the Uk (food has) and some things cheaper. You can get a single duvet now for about £5 from Tesco and I miss Primark for £2.50 t-shirts or £1 in the sale!

I have found that you can get cheap bedding here but it bobbles really quickly as it is normally a really low thread count, if you want better quality then you have to pay for it and that is when it gets expensive. I never even thought about thread count in the Uk, even the basic Argos plain dyed duvet sets for 20 GBP didn't bobble.