18 year old daughter

Guest steve

Hi Everyone

We are hoping to be in Adelaide around November time this year. I have an 18 year old daughter who may be coming with us but she is not sure yet. I was wondering if anybody already in Adelaide who has older teenagers could give me a bit of info on what there is to do for them and if it is easy to make friends. She is quite a sociable girl and enjoys meeting people. I am hoping she decides to come with us and give adelaide a chance.

Hope someone can help.

thanks

Lorraine from Bolton nr Manchester

waiting patiently for new of visa

visa application sent 20.12.07

Guest steve&tracy

Hi steve. We have a 16 nearly 17yr old daughter who doesn't really want to come with us but has only just dropped that bomb shell. we visited Adelaide in there winter time and spent alot of time driving around looking at suburbs. what we saw of it it looked great and by what we have learn't there is pleanty to do. We have talked our daughter round by saying at least give it go as it's a chance in a life time to be able to experience what oz has to offer.I'm sure it will be hard at the start but you have to work at everything you do in life.

What we were able to do while we were there was great and i image in the summer will be even better.I hope your daughter will give it chance just like mine is.

Best of luck.

steve.

Hi, my eldest son is 17, 18 in October, he's really excited about coming to Adelaide after he spoke to a girl who went to his school and moved over last year, she absolutely loves it there, has told Brad that there is soooooooo much for kids to do, much, much better than the UK, she, definately doesn't want to come back, hope this helps.

Guest Guest75

My advice for the 16 year olds + once here is to look for a part time job and learn to drive.

The 2 will set them up for life.

Both give the kids something to do and chance to meet other fold.

I'd certainly be dangling the carrot of driving lessons ;)

It is tough with the older ones and it would be wrong to paint this place as fairyland to them because you will get caught out.

The move here is for sensible reasons which perhaps teenagers just cannot put to the forefront of their reasoning.

Our daughter came with us when she was 10 - at 18 here now she is very settled and happy.

I've met lots of families with teenage children,once they get over the first few months they take to it like a duck to water.

Can't you just give em' knock-out drops for a few months???:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest stufi1997
My advice for the 16 year olds + once here is to look for a part time job and learn to drive.

You've got our plans down to a tee there Tyke.....!:D We have a 19 yaer old who is too old to come on our visa but has agreed to come on a backpacker one..(kicking and screaming of coarse).. Nothing like a bit of emotional blackmail, and let's face it , if YOUR going what choice have they got....??/ " Oh no that would mean growing up and doing your own washing.!:err: We'll just have to have a get together with all the teens when we get there so they've got each other to socialize with instead of us oldies..:huh: Stu.

Guest steve&tracy

Hi stu totally agree with the meet up with older kids (teenagers) i've promised my daughter the driving lessons e.t.c. but that still means she has to pass the theory bit. Hopefully she will settle in o.k. like the rest of us.We are just about to do medicals e.t.c. hoping to be out there june/july. Hopefully we could all meet up.

Regards Steve and Family

Guest mattvdh

hi, im new to this sight, living in manchester for the last 3 years and im 26. now im originally from adelaide and had a mate tell me about this site.

I can garantee your daughter will have no problems at all finding and having things to do. i lived in christies beach my whole like pretty much and there is always something to do, compared to manchester i believe anyhow?

Guest steve

Hi Everyone

Sorry Im late in replying to you all but thanks for all your advice and good wishes.

My daughter is already learning to drive here so hopefully she will have passed her test before we go to oz but its a good idea for any teenagers that have not started their lessons yet. Also I think if she comes with us she will want to get a part time job as she

has 2 here and hopefully will be able to meet people.

Stu I think thats a great idea for us all to meet up with the teenagers too and get them to socialize with each other and also to help us to meet people as well.

As a family we do not know what to expect either so hopefully we will all settle in together.

We probably will not be there until November so maybe the teens already there would be able to help my daughter settle in.

Keep in touch

Lorraine Steve Lynsey (18) Reece (7)