Paying for UK medical records

Guest Lisado

Guest Lisado

Hi all

I have had to have a form filled out by my doctor regarding my daughter's peanut allergy and whether she is okay to fly. When we went to collect it to send to flight company -Iwas told I had to pay £25 for a few ticks in boxes and dr signature! So as I didnt have the money on me - I have to go back and pay then collect it. I am really mad I have been charged for this.

Now I am wondering - do we have to pay for our personal medical records when we bring them over? We were told by the receptionst fromm hell we weren't allowed to have access to them :arghh:

Please can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks, Lisa

Guest Suziep

Hi Lisa,

We have been given our medical records which cost us £5 per person. Our Doctor stated that we were allowed our records free as it was to do with the "Freedom of Information Act" but there was a small admin fee which is fair enough. They can't stop you from obtaining your private records although if your Doctor has had to go an extra step with a letter then it is down to each practise as to how much they charge. My son has asthma for which I needed a letter of confirmation but was asked to donate a small fee to charity.

Guest Lisado

Hi Sue

Thanks for that - will speak to "the" receptionist from hell about them again. I would much rather have given the money to charity!

Lisa

Guest hel&sam

you are entitled by law to have access to your medical records, you may have to put your request in writing for each family member and they may charge, i think my gp;s charge £10 per person, your receptionist sounds like she needs putting straight, (and knocking down a peg or two!), i'd be very tempted to write an extremely snotty letter to the practice manager about attitudes of staff when dealing with the public and training so they're not talking rubbish.

Good luck.

• 4 months later...
Guest The smiths

asked for our records and was told it will be £10 each for the records on the computer . but for a copy of the hand written ones (pre computers) £50 each ...is this normal or are the doctors in milton keynes greedy....

asked for our records and was told it will be £10 each for the records on the computer . but for a copy of the hand written ones (pre computers) £50 each ...is this normal or are the doctors in milton keynes greedy....

In the end we just paid for Amelia's (25GBP) as she has serious allergy and I wanted the doctors here to know her history. I then just brought kid's red books over to prove had injections

We didnt bother with us and we didnt bother with dental records - densitst said it didnt matter

Lisa