Shipping

Guest sa2uk2oz

Guest sa2uk2oz

We will be over sometime before Xmas. We have gotten a couple of shipping quotes, but are there any shipping companies anyonw would reccommend?

Cheers

Claire

Guest jen&ian

Hi Claire,

Well we haven't had the full service yet but I'll be glad to let you know in a couple of weeks when the UK end has happened:confused:.

Jen:)

Guest thecartwrights

We too went with PSS. The 2 men that came to pack us up from the Uk were excellent - and made us feel very reassured about all our wordly goods being shipped the other side of the world. They were happy being supplied cups of tea for 2 whole days and the occasional bacon buttie ;)!

Were excellent when they arrived here in Oz too, only a few items broken and the insurance was sorted out very quickly and cheque for reimbursement came within the week.

Would highly recommend.

Sarah

Guest dglamoore

We went with Allied Pickfords (after getting about 7 companies in for quotes :eek:)

They dropped £800 off their price to match a lower one, dropped 1% off their insurance price to ensure we used them ;), have offices in UK and Adelaide plus do their own insurance so no 3rd parties to deal with. Were a great team both ends. worked hard and lots of fun :D

Lisa:cool:

Guest Traci5

We had quite a bad experience with Anglo Pacific....they were excellent in England when selling us the whole deal and the team that packed our stuff were fantastic....however they didnt pack things well and we found that they had packed items such as Pillows and cushions in their very own box...and it is cubic footage that you pay for so this bumped up the price...they did knock a bit off for us due to this though so cant really fault them there..

But....When we got our delivery in December last year 1 wk before xmas..this is from August...4 months later!!...they apparently counted all the boxes into the house.......but still had boxes missing and another customer phoned them with our box!! Nice eh? Well we still have items missing...and are yet to get a straight answer out of anyone as to there location and what has happened to them. We have claimed on the insurance for most of the missing items but because some were not listed on the itinery they wouldn't pay us...This box was the "BITS BOX" who itemisies this box....most of the time you dont even know what has gone in it...tv remotes, lead, etc?!!

Anyway ...thought I should share the bad aswell as the good just so that it can give others an oppotunity of what to look out for.

Enjoy! Traci

My ship docks on 24th August!!!!

I've used Robinsons and their contact here is Wridgways who makes the final delivery.

I'll let you know how I get on!!!

J x

Guest sa2uk2oz

So does anyone know the full name for his PPS company and where they rae based?

Also, how long before you fly do you ship, or do you leave till you have already flown or what?

Later

Claire

Guest Rachel & Jeff

Hi

It is just PSS removals and easy to find through google.

We have friends moving to Perth who have used them and were certainly very happy with the service this end. They also said they were relatively cheap so I also plan to get a quote from them.

Rachel

Guest jen&ian

We are shipping our stuff 6 weeks before we go, it's a shared container so could take up to 12 weeks ( hopefully not longer!) We will be moving into an empty house with only the stuff we can cram into a suitcase so we wanted to send it in plenty of time. I guess if you were planning on staying with family/friends or going into a short term furnished rental for a while you could leave it till nearer the time you go.

Jen:)

Guest chillyanna

I have seen that PSS shipping normally have a advertisment at the top of these pages.

i think it is also a direct link to thier website so look out for it.

Guest chillyanna

when it becomes my turn to pack up and ship things over to adelaide i wont have very much to ship. so i am thinking of sharing a container.

what i would like to know is, is there anything you should ask for or about when calling the shipping companies. i.e insurance, price, extra packaging, what is allowed and what's not.

i just want to be prepared when i call them for quotes. all tips and advice welcomed;)

thanks

paul

Guest sa2uk2oz

Hi Paul

I have just today got a quote and booked PSS removals, they quoted me round the £1000 mark for 200 cubic foot which i think equates to roughly half a container, if you use less they will adjust the invoice to only the space you have used. All other hidden costs, as i found out today is just the insurance and then you have to pay round about AU$150-200 for quaratine once in Aus.

Hope that helps some?!?

Claire

:cute:

Guest chillyanna

Yes thanks that helped, it is good to know these things. just one more question, why did your goods need quarantine in OZ? or is that the waiting period untill you needed them delivered to your new address?

thanks again

paul

Guest theshearers

Hi all

Just on the subject of shipping, do any of you know if they reduce the costs if you pack yourselves? Is this allowed??

The reason I ask is that as some of you will know Steve is in the Royal Marines and we move every couple of years and as we usaully have to move out of one house one day

and move into the new one the next day, we have always done the packing ourselves and they removal guys just rock up and load it all into the van and drive off to our new gaff!! (Record so far for loading a big 3 bedroom house and garage worth full of stuff is 3.5hrs! That was Brittania based in Dundee!!!)

So our plan, as we are such expert packers, is to get it all packed ourselves as usual and then just the removal guys to load it onto the container. As we will have to have our Marchout inspection we are hoping to get the stuff packed and gone and get our Marchout on the same day as per normal.

When we were talking about it we werent too sure if they removal companies will happy for this to happen as we didnt know what happened with the manifest for each box and where the liability would lie if any of it was wrong. It also may save us a bit on the shipping costs as well. (Every little helps!!!)

If anyone could shed any light on this we would be grateful.

Thanks ever so

Vicki x

As of today i wouldn't recommend Bishops Move, for the second time in a week they blew us out, and that's just getting a quote.

Wife made another appointment but i was so angry i rang them and told 'em to stick it. If they can't get there act together over a quote how could i trust them to ship all my gear half way round the world.

On a positive note Britannia were excellent, very professional and trustworthy. Just hope their quote is competative.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chillyanna

hi cribber, well now 10 days after your last post about britania have you got thier quote? is it a good price?

P.S if you dont mind me asking what kind of job have you secured in adelaide?

Hi chillyanna,

Britannia were reasonable with a quote of £3k for the sole use of a 20ft container plus insurance and customs inspection. He did say there would be space to spare.

We also had Allied Pickfords quote, they recommended a shared container and quoted £2k plus insurance and customs inspection.

It's hard to compare the two as they offer a very different way of getting things out, also there were differences in the insurance rates and shipping times.

Going to wait and see what PSS have to say.

On the job front i'm off to work for an Aviation Company as a Project Engineer. Conveniently located at Adelaide airport.

:)

Well today I've had all my stuff delivered to the door by Wridgeway. I used Robinsons in the U.K and Wridgeway met my container her in Adelaide.

The guys here were excellent and unpacked all the furniture but I've decided to unpack the boxes myself (so if you need any I have about 35!!)

However, my chest of drawers had shattered and a T.V cabinate had been chipped. Luckily though I'm insured, so we'll wait and see the outcome.

I've also had to pay an extra $220 on top of what I paid Robinsons. This was for the quarintine inspection where they found "evidence of burrowing" in my wooden mask I'd bought from Dominican Republic. I had the choice of them fumigating them for $330 or being destroyed for $30. As I wasn't that sentimental over them I've had them destroyed.:err:

Judi x

Guest dglamoore

We also had Allied Pickfords quote, they recommended a shared container and quoted £2k plus insurance and customs inspection.

We used Allied for sole 20ft container and cannot recommend them enough. We haggled and got them to drop their quote to match a lower one and then their insurance got them to drop from 3% to 2% so saved quite a bit there ;)

Allied have offices here too and do their own insurance so no third parties to deal with and they offered fantastic packing teams both sides of the sea :D

Lisa:v_SPIN:

Guest deb and stoo

Yo dudes

We used PSS and so far have provided a wonderful service packing the house in one day and loading it into the container the next (I did attempt to help and am still aching). Our container is now on the way, should be about to go through the Suez Canal (not the Panama I hope) aboard the Maersk Saigon, on its way to Singapore where it will be transfered onto the Maersk Dremmen arriving in ADL on the 15th Oct, 38 days in total.

We will post again when it arrives, hopfully all safe and sound, and let you know what the unpacking was like :).

The PSS guy informed us that their insurance was the least as so few claim on it, which was quite reassuring.

:jiggy: