Does anybody work in the mining industry?

Guest Guest6899

Guest Guest6899

Hi, am posting this for my son who is 16yrs old. He is considering following a career in the mining industry and would like to know if anybody can give advise on what the work life is like on a daily basis?? is it stressfull, full filling, rewarding, well paid?? He has looked on different websites but these could be biased as they are company websites. Did you train to do the job via university.

Thanks Lisa & Adam

I work for a large multi disciplinary consultancy within which we have a mining dept, where we carry out civil, structural, elec, mech engineering and PM stuff. To be honest there are so many different aspects of mining; is he looking to be on the coal face as it were or office based or PM or engineer or machine operator etc etc. Many of the large corporations, BHP etc provide training but obviously wages will be less if he is expecting training on the job. Our company provide cadetships (or apprenticeships as we call it in the UK) although it is something he would need to apply for.

If he wants to work on / in the mines they generally do 3 weeks on 3 weeks off (or something like that). I understand it's not a walk in the park and can be quite an isolated existence, though generally that's why pay is on the whole is above average.

If you let me know what exactly it is he's after i can perhaps seek more info from our mining dept? PM me if you want more info.

Cheers

James