Finding decent work on 475 provisionla visa

Guest familygood

Guest familygood

We are just about to put in our main visa app and was wondering if anyone has had problems getting decent work on a provisional visa? We are both experienced senior office workers and are willing to temp for a while but would need to find fairly well paid jobs soon'ish after arriving. How realistic is this? We are both willing to take a step back if needed but would need to earn enough to get by. Any thought/experience from those already there and lived it?

Responses we have had from recruitment agencies seem to imply there is lots of temp work but will only consider you for perm work if you have a perm visa..

Thanks

Guest Martin and Val

Don't know if this will help but we are on a 475 visa also.

Val has found a good permanent job as an accounts manager which is better than she had in England. I on the other hand haven't found anything yet. OK the heat is off with Val working but I must find something soon.

The only time the visa has been questioned was for one job I applied for as a customer service rep and they said they would only take on permanent residents and Australian citizens. Couldn't believe it for the work wasn't anything special and certainly not what I came here to do.

Anyway, must keep looking something will come up.;)

Totally agree with Nick11 about right place, right time.

HOWEVER sorry but I do not agree that temp visa does not come into play. You only have to look in the 'tiser or the website of the advertising job to see it clearly written. I was applying for lots of jobs for a few months and was constantly being told PR and citizens only and am on the 495. It can really bring you down. I posted on here several times about this. This was for various jobs in banking and some call centres and offices. I even had interviews with some that said you've passed come back when you have your pr and there will be a job for you!

Fortunately I was in the right place at the right time and now have an excellent job with an ace manager :notworthy: so I won't be going back to the others :P

It can take a lot of time and patience or can fall straight into your path. Networking is also a huge advantage here.

Good luck and hope it goes smoothly for you

• 3 weeks later...
Guest covfan71

Val has found a good permanent job as an accounts manager which is better than she had in England. I on the other hand haven't found anything yet. OK the heat is off with Val working but I must find something soon.

The only time the visa has been questioned was for one job I applied for as a customer service rep and they said they would only take on permanent residents and Australian citizens. Couldn't believe it for the work wasn't anything special and certainly not what I came here to do.

Hi there, rather than submit a separate post can you help me. We are coming over on the same visa as yourselves and my other half was wondering if she was allowed to work and if so are there any restrictions.

Cheers

Guest Martin and Val

Hi,

In answer to your question we came on a 475 with myself as the main applicant. As I said Val has found work I haven't!

When you come on a state sponsored 475 visa you must report in to the SA Government each time your status changes. ie get a job change jobs or move, the electronic tag around your ankle will ensure you do! :biglaugh:

I rang them to inform them that Val had a perm full time job and they wouldn't even take the details as they said they were irrelevant as it was my visa I had to be the one working.

I asked how this would affect our application for permanency in 2 years time and they said when that time comes the second stage application goes to federal government not them and the application could go in with Val as the main applicant and they would decide. It doesn't matter who is working for the second stage application as long as one of you has.

Sorry to ramble on but some posts here are saying it doesn't matter what Visa your on, well it seems to from where I'm standing!

I have applied for many jobs that have had in the small print PR or Citizens only. I agree it is more of a case of right place right time but there is definitely a difference between who can apply for some jobs and who cant.

I think unless its governmental or defence then it is discriminating against non PR but thats the way it is and thats what we have to accept.

All you can do is keep plugging away with the applications, I'm not giving up we have been here now for 3 months and no way are we leaving!!!:jiggy:

So in summary, anybody saying it doesn't matter what Visa type your on, sorry it does in many cases and it doesn't matter what type of job or what industry it's down to the company and their policy!!

Martin

Guest covfan71
Hi,

In answer to your question we came on a 475 with myself as the main applicant. As I said Val has found work I haven't!

When you come on a state sponsored 475 visa you must report in to the SA Government each time your status changes. ie get a job change jobs or move, the electronic tag around your ankle will ensure you do! :biglaugh:

I rang them to inform them that Val had a perm full time job and they wouldn't even take the details as they said they were irrelevant as it was my visa I had to be the one working.

I asked how this would affect our application for permanency in 2 years time and they said when that time comes the second stage application goes to federal government not them and the application could go in with Val as the main applicant and they would decide. It doesn't matter who is working for the second stage application as long as one of you has.

Sorry to ramble on but some posts here are saying it doesn't matter what Visa your on, well it seems to from where I'm standing!

I have applied for many jobs that have had in the small print PR or Citizens only. I agree it is more of a case of right place right time but there is definitely a difference between who can apply for some jobs and who cant.

I think unless its governmental or defence then it is discriminating against non PR but thats the way it is and thats what we have to accept.

All you can do is keep plugging away with the applications, I'm not giving up we have been here now for 3 months and no way are we leaving!!!:jiggy:

So in summary, anybody saying it doesn't matter what Visa type your on, sorry it does in many cases and it doesn't matter what type of job or what industry it's down to the company and their policy!!

Martin

So basically we could come over on my temp Visa, my wife could find work straight away with me doing nothing, and we could get PR because my wife works.

Martin

I am job hunting at the moment, so know how you feel, it is pain in the bum :arghh:

We have been in Adelaide for nearly 2 years now. My partner works in IT and we got in on a Skilled Independent Visa (136) under his skills and we came straight in as permanent residents. He got a permanent job pretty much straight away which he really enjoys and has done really well at work.

I have had mixed experiences with jobs (admin, HR, training roles) and I do get annoyed with the lack of professionalism when you apply for a job and they don't even bother replying or the whole recruitment process is a joke.

I went for an interview on Friday 9 Jan (they rang me up on the Thursday and said could I come the next day at 11.00 am). I was interviewed by 2 people in person and the other person was on the end of the phone on speaker phone as they were based in Melbourne. The person on the end of the phone said she would let me know one way or another by the end of last week, 2 weeks later I am still waiting. I have rang up and they are usually in meetings and I left a message today and no one has rang me back. The biggest joke is in the interview they asked me what I considered good customer service - well certainly not this!!!

When I first arrived in Adelaide, I went for an interview as a HR Officer and the HR Manager left me sat in reception waiting for 30 mins without even an acknowledgement and then when she came to collect me, never said anything and then started telling me their recruitment procedure consisted of which team you supported depended on whether you get the job, but they were trying to move away from that!!!

I personally think that some of the managers that have interviewed me have felt threatened that I know more than them.

My friend emigrated 6 years ago and settled in Victoria and she had the same experience and in the end she dumbed herself down on her CV to get a job.

I have definitely noticed a shift in the adverts and more companies on their job adverts are adding at the bottom 'must be a permanent resident or Australian citizen to apply for this job', I have even seen it on admin jobs. It implies you can not apply if you are on a temp visa but I suppose it depends how strict they are about it, but there must be a reason they are now putting it on adverts.

This is what is worrrying me now. My career is on the list for business jobs (I'm a qualified librarian) yet when I look for jobs there is nothing at all. I have joined local law librarians group but I have serious doubts now. I work on the Intranet at work and research so I have been trying to find potential hobs that way. I am willing to do anything - even looked at basic admin jobs (just photocopying)

I think my hubby be okay as he works in Insolvency :unsure: - so I am relying onhim to find something before me

I am trying not to put myuself in a panic over the job front :arghh:

Dear all,

Here is one letter I downloaded from website of Immigration department of SA many days before, i don't even remember the link for your reference to show employers for rights of 475.

Here is text from the letter

---------

Dear Employer

“SIR” and “SRS” Visa Holders

As you are aware, the Government of South Australia is very keen to bring more skilled migrants and their families to our State to address skills needs as well as to achieve population targets set out in the Population Policy.

Many of these migrants are now arriving under the following Provisional visas:

Skilled Independent Regional – Subclass 495

Skilled Regional Sponsored – Subclass 475 or 487

These visa holders have been sponsored by the Government of South Australia through Immigration South Australia and have been granted their visa by the Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

It has been brought to our attention that many employers are unfamiliar with these subclasses of visas and are hesitant to employ SIR or SRS visa holders. I hope this letter will confirm the status of SIR and SRS visa holders and assist in their participation in the labour force.

The SIR and SRS visa is a three year provisional visa with the opportunity to apply for permanent residency status after living in “regional or low population growth metropolitan area”* of Australia for two years and employed full time for at least 12 months. It is envisaged that SIR and SRS visa holders will apply for permanency after two years. If successful, they will be granted a permanent visa on-shore, that is, they will not be required to leave Australia to receive their visa.

All of South Australia, including Adelaide is included in this definition* and permits the visa holder to live and work anywhere in South Australia, including Adelaide. The SIR and SRS visa holder also has full work rights and is permitted to work full time ie more than 20 hours a week. To qualify for permanent status they would have to have been working at least 35 hours per week.

To identify if an applicant for a position in your agency is an SIR or SRS visa holder, you may request that they show you the visa endorsement in their Passport which will indicate not only their details but also the Sub Class 495 or 475 or 487.

As an employer, you are permitted to employ SIR or SRS visa holders on a permanent basis in full time work anywhere in South Australia, including Adelaide.

If you have any concerns about the residency or employment rights of SIR or SRS visa holders, please do not hesitate to contact Immigration SA on 8204 9250 for clarification.

Yours sincerely

Immigration South Australia

Department of Trade and Economic Development

---------

I have just attached this letter with this reply for all of you to download, I am sure it will be help full to you

-------------------------

Umar Memon

Assessment received by ACS - 14th Mrach 2008

Positive Assessment Received . 9th May 2008

IELTS Test Date - 14th June 2008

IELTS Result card received - 25th June 2008

SA Sponsor ship Received 8th August

Application Lodge to DIAC -20th November 2008

Acknowledgment Received - 1st December 2008

Waiting for Case Officer to be Allocated ...

Guest Martin and Val

I have showed this letter and personally it seems to make them think that there is a problem employing you on that type visa.

There is work out there but as said previously they often seem scared that you are better and may take their job from them! I had this in an interview with a company that were trying something new it's what I'm trained to do and they came back and said they didn't like one of my answers. Probably because I knew what I was talking about.

Yes may have to remove things from the CV.

Martin