Best place to find plumbing work?

Guest ade&emma

Guest ade&emma

I have just got my TRA as a general plumber and was wondering if anyone knows of the best place in Adelaide to find this type of work. Are agency's or the paper etc the best way to go? Are there job centres etc?

Guest Aussiebound

We always use www.seek.com.au to find out work available and location etc, never much info on the wages though!

Our friend who lives in Adelaide has emailed us about jobs and said that most employers use agencies to find people, take them on under a temporary / casual contract and then if they show they are capable and good worker etc, offer them full time employment. She also assured us there is so much work there, for all skilled work, not just trades on the MODL.

We found this quite reassuring when you hear from others that it is very competitive to gain employment over there. Not saying it will be easy, just that there is work.

Hope this helps you.

from Sarah

• 1 month later...
Guest chillyanna

hi ade, i just want to let you know that i have a friend who moved to adelaide a year ago.

he also went as a plumber just like you are doing, when he got there he looked for work as a plumber, he later got an interview and was told by the man interviewing him his british NVQ 2 certificates were not good enough for him to work as a plumber, he called the TAFE in adelaide and was told this is correct, he will need to retain as a plumber to get the australian qualification to work taking 2 or 3 years training he told me.

now he has been put in touch with a company that will find him work and get him the on the job training he needs and after 2 or 3 years he will be qualified.

hope this helps you, my advice is look on other forums for plumbers to ask and also e-mail to the tafe in adelaide to try to confirm this.

Guest ralph n bev
hi ade, i just want to let you know that i have a friend who moved to adelaide a year ago.

he also went as a plumber just like you are doing, when he got there he looked for work as a plumber, he later got an interview and was told by the man interviewing him his british NVQ 2 certificates were not good enough for him to work as a plumber, he called the TAFE in adelaide and was told this is correct, he will need to retain as a plumber to get the australian qualification to work taking 2 or 3 years training he told me.

now he has been put in touch with a company that will find him work and get him the on the job training he needs and after 2 or 3 years he will be qualified.

hope this helps you, my advice is look on other forums for plumbers to ask and also e-mail to the tafe in adelaide to try to confirm this.

Hi there ,

are you sure? we were told the same about Ralph , except for him being a builder.

It turned out , yes he needed to go back to college for a 3 MONTH course to get a LICENCE to be a residential and commercial builder.

But , i dont know about being a plumber, there must be some on here, so this will bump you up the list again , till someone sees it .

Bev:D

Guest soggy

Im not a plumber but work in building, the NVQ 2 is a 2 year part time course, a fully trained and qualified apprentice would normally have completed NVQ 3 which is a further 2 years part time (1 day a week) there are normally other technical and independent assesments for gas ect. that need to be completed, if someone has all these im sure it would be just assesments rather than years study required.

Im just a painter though so i hope no one plans their future on what i just wrote;)

Simon

Guest the terry's

Hello everyone,

New to this site and saw questions/answers regarding plumbing in adelaide. We have just put in for the TRA and have been assured that city and guilds qual's in plumbing is acceptable but will need to go to college for the licence. However, if this does not go through before the 1/9/07 everything could take alot longer to be assesed and granted. This is due to it being changed to a 3 tier system, one part being an english test which includes reading, writing, speaking and listening and costs £95.00. If you go for the TRA now and do not have the full 125 points, which is more desirable, this will give you 25 points if you pass. Having looked into this you have to sign up for the test at least 5 weeks for the test date and most are being held in university towns like oxford for example. Oh and by the way because all this is new instead of say six weeks for the TRA it could take 6 months, but that is just specualtive at the moment. I hope this does not scare anyone too much and i'm just repeating what we have just been told.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Another quick question about plumbers. It seems there is a lot of demand for Plumbers at the min in other parts of OZ (we have friends in Brisbane as well as our agent). Whats it like in Adelaide, are there jobs in papers is there a demand.???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Kimberley x

Being a painter to obtain a license will allow you to sub contract. You can, however, work under an employer who has a license already - hope that makes sense.

Adelaide campus have 2 units available in Finance that as a painter you will need to attend for 8 weeks, Mon & Tues night 3 hours per night. One course starts mid Oct, which I believe my OH will try to get onto. We will speak to them when we arrive after the 6th Sept.

The course, BTW, is not really expensive & at the end of it you can apply for the license.

I personally think its blooming nonsense to jump through these hoops etc 'again', if you see what I mean, but my contact in the Trades Recognition Support Services was very specific in her email about the requirements for licensing.

Hope this helps, sorry its not much use for plumbers but I imagine there will be similar units required also. PM me if I can help further.

Angela

Guest taylor family
Hi All

Another quick question about plumbers. It seems there is a lot of demand for Plumbers at the min in other parts of OZ (we have friends in Brisbane as well as our agent). Whats it like in Adelaide, are there jobs in papers is there a demand.???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Kimberley x

:DHI Kimberley and kelvin alan and laura taylor from preston lancs but been here since may.

I work for a plumbing firm and they cant get enought people for the work they have so give me your home number and Ill call you and have a chat.all the best alan t alan.taylor7@aapt.net.au

Guest Traci5

Hello All.

Well we are the family that ChilliAnna is talking about. We arrived her in September 2006 and I will tell you all what has happened to us.( this may be long winded so bear with me please)

When we first got here my partner John went to TAFE to get his qualifications assessed by them so that he could get a license and get work in the plumbing field. His NVQ 2 was more than enough to pass the TRA and to "fill the skills gap" . However, since getting here we have been somewhat enlightened. Tafe kindly informed John that 'his qualifications put him on the same rung of the ladder as an apprentice fresh from school and that he would need to complete an 18month - 2 yr training course. He asked straight away to get enrolled on this course and they told him that he couldn't do this unless he was actually employed in the plumbing sector!! Nice one!! So, he then went about phoning lots of different plumbing firms and gained interviews and a hell of a lot of " sorry we cant help you". Because of his age ( 32!!) it was not viable for some of them to take him on and so he is left stranded. he has since been to another training company called Peer. They have told him the same as TAfe and also offer a training course which he passed all the entry questions for and they were most impressed by his cv, unfortunately however, he is too qualified for them to place him as an apprentice. BUT,,and get this......they offered him a teaching position within the company and asked if he would be interested in teaching the apprentices that they already have!!! ....so..he can train someone else to be a plumber but isnt allowed to be one himself????? Ironic or what??!!!?

So he is no working at our equivalent to B'n'Q as a Plumbing advisor and has just been made department manager!! WOW!! Still not what we came here for. he hasn't given up on plumbing and definately wants to do this still but just needs someone to give him a chance. So if there is anyone out there how knows someone with their own company or knows of any vacancies for a plumber with a restricted license please please get in touch!!

We live in hope...... Oh....and he got in touch with all the relevant people at the time...TRA...DIMIA and all they said was " at least you are here". Nice eh?

Right I think I will jump of my soap box now and take a breath. thanks for hearing me out.

Traci