Step Children Issues?????

Guest sarahtwinn82

Guest sarahtwinn82

We have recently applied for a 457 visa but there was no mention of parental responsibility on the application form. My hubby is step dad to my kids and their biological father wants nothing to do with them. Has anyone encountered this problem regarding legalities around migrating with step kids?

Guest katsmajic

Hi Sarah,

you'll need to get the bio dad to give written consent to his kids leaving the uk - a stat dec etc, or you could go to court and request a court order to remove the children from the uk.

its a real toughie, we ended up doing both to cover all options, but then my ex had nothing to do with my kids and signed the stat dec i sent him and had it in the post the same day!

We had to do a statutory declaration too. There is a link somewhere on the DIAC website but I remember it wasn't easy to find! Then it has to be signed by your ex in front of a solicitor etc. It's quite easy to do and it only cost us £35. Best £35 I've ever spent! Oh, and he'll need photo ID to prove it's him. Hope this helps!

Guest sarahtwinn82

Thanks for the replies, But I know he won't be bothered to go to the solicitors and any correspondent he receives he'll just rip up and bin it. I think we may have to go and see a solicitor. I'm not really sure where he even lives.

Guest katsmajic

I had to do an electoral role search to find my ex - then wrote a letter saying this was one and only communication, nothing else would ever be asked of him, child support/contact etc, just sign the enclosed stat dec and he'd never hear form us again...

i pre wrote the stat dec - told him all he had to do was go to magistrates court and sign it in front of a magistrate (for free) and return it to me...

i have a copy if you want a look.