anyone awaiting family visa approval?

Guest welshy 4

Guest welshy 4

Hi All

Im new here so forgive me for not knowing all the correct terminology

:goofy: but i was wondering if theres anyone who has family over in Oz and you are trying to make your way over through them?? We are literally JUST deciding whether we want to make the move or not so wont be looking at using any agent just yet, but we have absolutely no idea where to go with this? Ive just completed a free online assessment which gave the types of visa available, and have chosen family visa- as i have family on a temp visa until hopefully next year- i chose this option because my husband doesnt have a trade and my own trade i havent worked in for over 10 years so didnt think i could go down the skilled visa route? Hopefully someone will read it and get back to me but in the meantime ive had a good read through your posts but im still none the wiser

as everyone seems to have either made it over there or are waiting on their visa decision.

Sorry to sound thick guys, just need a bit of help. :embarrassed:

Any info would be great!!

It sounds as if you are trying to get a parent visa, which can be got but it is quite difficult.

If it is this Visa you are looking for, you must have either all of your children in Australia, or at least 50% of them, so if you have 1 child in Aus and 1 in the UK you are OK, but if you have 1 in Aus and 2 in the UK you cannot qualify. There is a long thread under migration issues on this subject, but basically if you are over 45 then you will only qualify under the parent visa. Because a non contributory Visa will take up to 18 years to get, the next option is a contributory Visa, which will cost about £30,000 and will take about a year to get.

This is quite a complicated subject, but hope this helps a little.

Guest welshy 4

Thanks Hayshake

£30,000.00 is something that i definately dont have! My husband, daughter and i live here in the uk (my mum and dad also) its my brother and his wife/nieces and nephews that live over in SA.

Thanks for the info..i will see if i can find that post u mentioned.

Welshy 4

Guest MikenSueNW3
Thanks Hayshake

£30,000.00 is something that i definately dont have! My husband, daughter and i live here in the uk (my mum and dad also) its my brother and his wife/nieces and nephews that live over in SA.

Thanks for the info..i will see if i can find that post u mentioned.

Welshy 4

G'Day Welshy

I'm new to this forum, but two others have long threads on the subject:–

Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4 : British Expat Discussion Forum

and The Brand New PIO Parents Visa thread - PomsInOz Forum. Gill/"Gollywobbler", who is very active on this thread (and also sometimes contributes to Poms in Adelaide) probably knows more about parent migration that anyone outside the Dept of Immi itself!

Good luck with the research! Mike

PS: The low-cost alternative is the non-contributory parent visa. As Hayshake says, this can take 16, 18, 20 years, BUT if you validly apply for the "onshore" version – ie, apply while in Oz – you automatically get a "bridging visa" that allows you to stay there for the interim period (at the risk, however, of all the upheaval of returning to the UK if you are ultimately turned down). Two cautions: You can't enter Oz "with the inetntion" of applying for such a visa. Nor can you apply if the visa (tourist, say) you use to enter Oz has a "No further stay" restriction on it.

Essential reading is the Oz Dept of Immi's Booklet 3 – Parent Migration. Available online.

Hi All

Im new here so forgive me for not knowing all the correct terminology

:goofy: but i was wondering if theres anyone who has family over in Oz and you are trying to make your way over through them?? We are literally JUST deciding whether we want to make the move or not so wont be looking at using any agent just yet, but we have absolutely no idea where to go with this? Ive just completed a free online assessment which gave the types of visa available, and have chosen family visa- as i have family on a temp visa until hopefully next year- i chose this option because my husband doesnt have a trade and my own trade i havent worked in for over 10 years so didnt think i could go down the skilled visa route? Hopefully someone will read it and get back to me but in the meantime ive had a good read through your posts but im still none the wiser

as everyone seems to have either made it over there or are waiting on their visa decision.

Sorry to sound thick guys, just need a bit of help. :embarrassed:

Any info would be great!!

Hi Welshy

Whether or not your brother in Oz sponsors you, either you or your husband will only be able to emigrate to Oz if you one of you has a skill that makes you eligible for skilled migration to Oz.

You are female. Do you have a job apart from being a Mum? If you do paid work as well, what is your occupation, please?

Meanwhile, what is hubby's occupation, please?

Also, how old are you and hubby respectively at the moment?

Worrying about the visa type is "the wrong end" to start from with this! We need to start with your occupations and your ages instead, please.

Cheers

Gill

I have just applied for my sons visa, he is in the UK but he also had to complete a skills assessment first and i could only sponsor him as i have a permanent visa.

I do know if you dont have a skill that can be assessed you can try obtaining an Australian qualification which can be done in the UK (my other son is doing that route as he doesnt have the college hours but is a qualified plasterer).

The other route is a holiday visa which you change to a temp visa and then get a job sponsor and apply for permanent. Long was round but this is what a lot of students do.