spouse visa (proving our assetts)

Guest brianlynnette

Guest brianlynnette

Hi everyone lynnette here, i sent off for brians spouse visa last thurs and have had a letter off our c.o to ask for proof of our assetts money and any other financial stuff we have separetely or together?? Did anyone else have to do this, our main money is in the sale of the house, we have no savings yet as were getting xmas out the way 1st before we save again, do you have to have a set amount saved up aswell cos ive read posts off some people saying they only went over with 10k really worried now, dont want this to be refused cant do another cold winter here haha x:arghh:

we were asked in the forms about our assets but we were never asked to prove them.please try not to worry to much.i put myself through hell worrying if they would refuse me and i made myself really ill.you look like perfect candidates for this type of visa and often when there are children involved they will grant you a PR instead of the temporary one.good luck

Hi Lynette,

The booklet says

"Evidence will be required that you and your partner share financial commitments and

responsibilities, including:

• evidence of any joint ownership of real estate or other major assets (for example, cars, appliances) and any joint liabilities (for example, loans, insurance);

• sharing of finances;

• legal commitments that you and your partner have undertaken as a couple;

• evidence that you and your partner have operated joint bank accounts for a

reasonable period of time; or

• sharing of household bills and expenses"

If most of your money is in your house, have you already sent them any documents relating to this, such as the deeds to the property, the mortgage agreement - anything which shows who the owner is. Legal documents from when you bought it or bank statements showing who pays the mortgage. Are you joint owners? Do you have a joint bank account? Joint names on an insurance policy? Are you listed as beneficiaries on each others life assurance or pensions or anything? All this will help show that you are in a committed relationship.

At least now you have a case officer you know they are processing your application and you know who to contact. Good luck!

Anne

Guest brianlynnette
Hi Lynette,

The booklet says

"Evidence will be required that you and your partner share financial commitments and

responsibilities, including:

• evidence of any joint ownership of real estate or other major assets (for example, cars, appliances) and any joint liabilities (for example, loans, insurance);

• sharing of finances;

• legal commitments that you and your partner have undertaken as a couple;

• evidence that you and your partner have operated joint bank accounts for a

reasonable period of time; or

• sharing of household bills and expenses"

If most of your money is in your house, have you already sent them any documents relating to this, such as the deeds to the property, the mortgage agreement - anything which shows who the owner is. Legal documents from when you bought it or bank statements showing who pays the mortgage. Are you joint owners? Do you have a joint bank account? Joint names on an insurance policy? Are you listed as beneficiaries on each others life assurance or pensions or anything? All this will help show that you are in a committed relationship.

At least now you have a case officer you know they are processing your application and you know who to contact. Good luck!

Anne

Hi A nne thanks for all that info, they didnt ask for anything like that in the visa application, well only bank statements and mortgage statement, which i sent, think i will dig out our life insurance policiy and get that sent to him aswell thanks for that, i knew i shouldnt of been to cocky haha, my c.o has been in touch with the 2 people who done statuary declarations for me today so at least i know hes not sitting on his but doing nothing while i sweat it out trying to get more info haha thank you lynnette x

Guest brianlynnette
we were asked in the forms about our assets but we were never asked to prove them.please try not to worry to much.i put myself through hell worrying if they would refuse me and i made myself really ill.you look like perfect candidates for this type of visa and often when there are children involved they will grant you a PR instead of the temporary one.good luck

thanks sharon i bet ive got one of those c.o's who wants to prove everything, ive been really worried, my friend who filled out the statuary declaration for me phoned today and told me my c.o had been in touch with her today asking questions about me and brian, so thats all good, at least i know hes not sitting behind his desk doing nothing haha, the thing is they say they want to make sure i can support brian for 2 yrs but hes a plasterer he's always been the main earner, ive always worked myself but of a night or weekend when brians home to mind the kids, i dont understand how they can say that when i know of people who when they get their have been told they can claim some kind of child benefit, or rent allowance and our equivalent of working tax, we are planning on finding jobs straight away, maybe its cos we havent got jobs to go to straight away ooh i dont know haha my heads all over the place, excitement, nerves, worry, anxiety you name it im feeling it haha thanks lynnette x

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Lynette

Aussie pat's other half here.

Yes we did have to do it and no, you don't have to have a set amount. Your case officer is trying to get a handle on your financial situation. One aspect of this, as other posters have pointed out, is to establish that you are still a couple on the basis of your affairs being intertwined. The other aspect as you yourself have pointed out is that you are his sponsor and are expected to support him practically, emotionally and financially. Now as you have pointed out also, like many couples, the man is the main or only wage earner, so you don't fit neatly into the box where as sponsor you are the wage earner.

Where you don't fit neatly into the box, explain your exact situation in a covering note or letter and show how from a commonsense point of view, you can satisfy their requirements and try and support it with documentation if you can . I. e. Your partner is a skilled tradesman, his income is enough to support the family etc etc. Will you yourself be looking for work once you're here? That would also be a plus point.

In addition if you do have assets, then, depending on their value, you can show that your share will enable you to support your spouse, and that his share will enable him to support himself and the family. Tell them how much your house is valued at (what have similar houses sold for, have you had it valued), take off your mortgage and give them the net figure. Any cars to sell? Anything else which has value or can be sold.

Give them as much information as you can and try to anticipate follow up questions.

Keep working at it and try to stay calm.

Guest brianlynnette
Hi Lynette

Aussie pat's other half here.

Yes we did have to do it and no, you don't have to have a set amount. Your case officer is trying to get a handle on your financial situation. One aspect of this, as other posters have pointed out, is to establish that you are still a couple on the basis of your affairs being intertwined. The other aspect as you yourself have pointed out is that you are his sponsor and are expected to support him practically, emotionally and financially. Now as you have pointed out also, like many couples, the man is the main or only wage earner, so you don't fit neatly into the box where as sponsor you are the wage earner.

Where you don't fit neatly into the box, explain your exact situation in a covering note or letter and show how from a commonsense point of view, you can satisfy their requirements and try and support it with documentation if you can . I. e. Your partner is a skilled tradesman, his income is enough to support the family etc etc. Will you yourself be looking for work once you're here? That would also be a plus point.

In addition if you do have assets, then, depending on their value, you can show that your share will enable you to support your spouse, and that his share will enable him to support himself and the family. Tell them how much your house is valued at (what have similar houses sold for, have you had it valued), take off your mortgage and give them the net figure. Any cars to sell? Anything else which has value or can be sold.

Give them as much information as you can and try to anticipate follow up questions.

Keep working at it and try to stay calm.

Hi aussie pats o.h, lynnette here thank you so much for that, ive been really feeling ill, brians panicking incase we dont get it and then lose the 1,100 aand have to save then try again, i have sent him copies of all mine and brians p.60's for about the last 5 yrs but i forgot to mention why i had put all that in (was to let them see brian was the main earner) i was just in a rush, so think im gonna sit down on monday night go thru your reply and anyone elses, do what yous are advising me and put it all down on paper and explain it to him properley, just hope hes kept hold of it all and not binned it, mind you ive only got to photocopy it again, just in a rush so much to get out the u.k before our dylan goes to big school hes 10 now thanks for the info :D

Guest Aussie pat

Keep reminding yourselves (we did) that the procedure is the same as that for everyone applying for a spouse visa, including those with mail order brides and internet relationships where the partners barely know each other. The forms and screening protocols may seem very strict but that's because they need to weed out the truly problematic and risky applicants. If you're just an average married couple like the rest of us you should get through, keep pedalling and answering any questions they ask you. I know it's frustrating but it will be worth it, as we've found 2 years down the track.

Aussie Pat

Guest Aussie pat

Aussie pat's other half here

The case officer won't have binned your stuff. Work through it methodically. And on the kids, you can't always time everything perfectly to coincide with their major milestones at school. We went through that, like many other people on here.

Good luck

Guest brianlynnette
Aussie pat's other half here

The case officer won't have binned your stuff. Work through it methodically. And on the kids, you can't always time everything perfectly to coincide with their major milestones at school. We went through that, like many other people on here.

Good luck

Ha ha i hope he hasnt binned it, i know i dont mind all the qeestions but it can make you paranoid, feel like phoning him and saying come live with us for a week and you'll see where a proper couple, as for the savings we have a plan to save every penny we can after xmas, were not planning on coming over there to sponge off anyone just got to convince him of it, will keep you posted thanks :biglaugh:

Hi Lynette,

When I was doing mine (OH is Aussie), I just put in as much as we could. For us it was difficult as we were renting and everything was in my name as he was working out of the country when we moved into our flat. I sent everything I could and put a summary on each piece of evidence about why it was relevant i.e. bills in my name, then copies of bank statements (joint), and OH's showing money transfer to mine.

I think you may just have a picky C.O. I'm pretty sure everyone who wrote us a statutory dec were never contacted!! They would have told me if they had been!

I probably sent too much, but more is better than less if it gets it processed!!

All the best with it and I'm sure you'll be enjoying the sun soon!!

Karyn x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brianlynnette
Hi Lynette,

When I was doing mine (OH is Aussie), I just put in as much as we could. For us it was difficult as we were renting and everything was in my name as he was working out of the country when we moved into our flat. I sent everything I could and put a summary on each piece of evidence about why it was relevant i.e. bills in my name, then copies of bank statements (joint), and OH's showing money transfer to mine.

I think you may just have a picky C.O. I'm pretty sure everyone who wrote us a statutory dec were never contacted!! They would have told me if they had been!

I probably sent too much, but more is better than less if it gets it processed!!

All the best with it and I'm sure you'll be enjoying the sun soon!!

Karyn x

hi karyn i thought i was so meticolous with mine, put each part in see thru folders labelled them all, put in more than was nesecary probably he even asked for a mortgage statement and i phoned him and told him i had already put one in, he checked and said oh yes, now ive got to sned in mine and brians last 3 months wage slips, id already put in both our p.60's for the last 6yrs, to prove that we both work and have done, the only thing worrying me now is with me being the aussie ans sponsor he wants to know how much i earn to see if i can afford to keep the family so ive had to explain that with most families brians the main earner, hope ive got a good c.o and not one thats just gonna pick on anything then say no!! i feel so sick with worry, dont know how anyone else has lasted waiting for 5 months for an answer, im checking mine and brians emails everyday haha i hope we'll be enjoying the sun soon haha :biglaugh:

Hi Lynette,

Sounds as though you have a really picky c.o. Mine wasn't particularly helpful, and the couple of times I called her, she was really abrupt on the phone!! Good to know some people love their jobs!!

I guess the problem is that it has to be the Australian Citizen that takes responsibility for finances in view of the fact that UK citizens can't claim benefits for the first two years! It's all academic really! My husband got a job first, but now I've got one, and at the moment, I'm earning more than he is! If you've got money in savings and you're going to get more from the sale of a house (?) then that should go in your favour I would imagine!!

Hopefully you get some news soon, but in my experience, I heard about my visa 12 weeks to the day from me lodging my application, and the receipt email I got said processing time was 12 weeks!! My process was prob shorter as it was only for me and no children, and I lodged mine in March, so I guess prob not a busy time for them!

Stay positive and keep smiling!!

Karyn x