Dependant-Definition

Guest charlie&donna

Guest charlie&donna

Hi,

recently saw on a thread either here or over on the p.i.o site and its thrown in a certain level of confusion.

The second installment for the visa is for dependents over the age of 18.

However i cant seem to find a definition of what they call dependent.

Does this refer to my wife or;

if i had a teenager who was 18+

Basically trying to work out how much money i need to budget for.

Thanks in advance

and yes I do have short arms and deep pockets!

Guest eclare

I saw this recently too as I was wondering when the 2nd installment was due. I had always assumed it was payable (for my partner), however when I read it properly again it appears to be only applicable to dependents who don't have functional English (or if you as the main don't have functional english). I think I am correct in saying if you, partner, teenager are UK passports holders they are deemed to have functional english. I don't think they are required to do an IELTS test...at least I hope this is the case!

Good if someoen else could confirm if this is current under the new rules.

Guest ozdreamsa

Hi guys, as far as I had researched, the info provided by eclare is correct. Let me add some more on this:

Definition of dependancy: If someone of your family is financially dependent on you, will be mentioned as dependant family member. Now, this could be spouse, your parents, biological/ adopted child, anybody related as a family member.

Next, if that dependent is included on your visa application, and is over 18 years old, then you must provide IELTS 6.0 (indivisually in all 4 sections of IELTS which is defined as functional English) unless that person is from a English speaking country (i.e. UK, NZ etc.). So,if that applicant is from UK, no need for IELTS, otherwise sit for IELTS beforehand, beacuse this evidence should be provided at the time/ within couple of weeks (I think 4 weeks) of lodging application to DIAC.

If the dependent do not have functional English (meaning, not from English-speaking country and did not sit for IELTS or failed to score 6.0 on IELTS), a 2nd installment of fee will be needed. This 2nd installment is expected just before issuing the visa. This is a huge amount (approx. 4160 AU $, double-check the amount on DIAC page) for each dependant which will be used to teach that person to become functional in English.

I hope it helps.

Guest eclare

So did I, thought I'd rather play it on the safe side and ask them to clarify if I have provided sufficient information to evidence my partners English skills! However I am 99% sure Ozdreamsa is correct.

Guest charlie&donna

Hi all,

after emailing DIAC yesterday, this is the information I was sent.

English Requirements for Secondary Applicants Secondary applicants aged 18 years or over who do not have functional English must pay a second instalment visa application charge.

This payment will entitle secondary applicants to English language tuition in Australia to enable them to achieve functional English language ability.

Functional English is sufficient English to cope with everyday situations and some work situations.

Applicants who are required to pay this charge will receive information about the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) and where they can receive tuition when their visa is granted.

The 1st instalment of the Visa Application Charge must be paid at the time of application and covers main applicant and secondary applicants.

The 2nd instalment of the Visa Application Charge is ONLY for dependents aged 18 years or over with LESS THAN functional English & must be paid before the visa is granted.

Please see: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/professionals-outside-australia.htm