Last remaining relative visa

Guest Squareman

Guest Squareman

Hi all

My mother-in-law is in the contributory parent visa queue. We applied in May this year.

She has two children - a daughter (my wife) who is a permanent resident here in Adelaide and her son, who lives in South Africa.

Once my mother in law gets her contributory parent visa, would I be right in saying that we could apply for a 'remaining relative' visa for my brother in law?

He is 35 years old and has no other family in South Africa. He has no partner and no kids.

It sounds too easy. Am i missing something?

Guest Squareman

My understanding is that these are processed relatively quickly? It's a 'humanitarian' visa, after all. I believe these visas are capped, but I was hoping they'd be processed within a year?

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
My understanding is that these are processed relatively quickly? It's a 'humanitarian' visa, after all. I believe these visas are capped, but I was hoping they'd be processed within a year?

My friend has just been granted hers. She applied for it 2009 and from what she said the waiting times now are even longer.

These visas come under Family Visas, the quota issues / year was halved this year which will slow things further

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/other-family-visa-queue.htm

"Other Family category from 1285 in the 2012-13 financial year to 585 in the 2013-14 financial year. Most of the 585 Other Family visa places will be allocated to the Carer visa category with fewer places allocated to the Remaining Relative and Aged Dependent Relative visa categories. This reflects the priority that is given to the Carer visa by the Australian Government."

"It is currently estimated that lodged Remaining Relative and Aged Dependent Relative visa applications, that have not yet been assessed, are likely to take up to 16 years to be released for final processing (calculated from 1 July 2013)."

Tee