887 Visa - temp to permanent, help please!!

Guest Deb17

Guest Deb17

Hi folks, well I'm completely and truly stumped at the moment and wondered if anyone out there can help me out. We've been here exactly two years tomorrow, YAAAYYYYYY!!!! (Imagine party poppers, balloons, a plethora of champagne corks etc. gently falling to floor!) so can apply for our permanent visa. The one we're going for is the 887, and having gone through the online application it looks like we have to go through ANOTHER set of medicals etc. (Are they taking the pee or what? :arghh:) Has anyone else out there gone through this all this palaver, changing over from temp 495 to perm. who can advise me on the process please? The website, as usual, is extremely unspecific and unhelpful (and it doesn't help that I've had some vino as well!) As we had medicals done in the UK to get out here in the first place, why do we have to go through that all over again? I'd be SOOO grateful if anyone could go through the process with me, so I don't have to go and pay someone else to do my visa application yet again.

Thanks muchly. x:)

Guest cunnah10
Hi folks, well I'm completely and truly stumped at the moment and wondered if anyone out there can help me out. We've been here exactly two years tomorrow, YAAAYYYYYY!!!! (Imagine party poppers, balloons, a plethora of champagne corks etc. gently falling to floor!) so can apply for our permanent visa. The one we're going for is the 887, and having gone through the online application it looks like we have to go through ANOTHER set of medicals etc. (Are they taking the pee or what? :arghh:) Has anyone else out there gone through this all this palaver, changing over from temp 495 to perm. who can advise me on the process please? The website, as usual, is extremely unspecific and unhelpful (and it doesn't help that I've had some vino as well!) As we had medicals done in the UK to get out here in the first place, why do we have to go through that all over again? I'd be SOOO grateful if anyone could go through the process with me, so I don't have to go and pay someone else to do my visa application yet again.

Can't help Deb!But surely they don't expect you to pay out again and have a load of new medicals done AGAIN!!!!

Can't be right!

Will wait to see what replies you get!!!

Good luck - Don't let this get you down after everything you have been through to get this far!

Guest Deb17

I'm bumping my thread up the list again, hoping I get some useful replies. If there are people out there who have gone down the same route as us, would be very grateful for any tips on completing permanent visa 887 applications, and I'm sure all the others out there sitting on 495 visas would be interested in knowing the steps involved in getting a permanent visa too, seeing as for most, this will be their next primary focus, after the two years of penal servitude are up lol. I'm really just stumped over the question of these medicals as much as anything else!!

Guest Libby1971

I wishI were not the bearer of woeful tidings but my understanding is that yes, you do have to re-apply IN FULL including new medicals.

I would advise ringing the Immig dept though before holding me to this.

Guest Nick11

From what I can gather - having medicals is a hit and miss thing!!!

If you have left oz to go overseas in the last 2 years you will definately need another medical.

Do not have meds or even think about getting them done til your co asks. Its seems to be purely luck of the draw! Some ask - some don't!

Guest donna T
From what I can gather - having medicals is a hit and miss thing!!!

If you have left oz to go overseas in the last 2 years you will definately need another medical.

Do not have meds or even think about getting them done til your co asks. Its seems to be purely luck of the draw! Some ask - some don't!

That's my understanding as well Deb - some people have been granted their PR without meds and some have been asked to have them done - wait and see if you are asked I guess - good luck x

A lot does depend on who your CO is (yes remember them the beloved Case Officer), anyway, 3 families I know did not need medicals, but I have also read on one forum that a family did have to have them.

Best advise I can offer is to ring them & ask them directly.

Good luck

Guest Deb17

Thanks gals for the reassuring reply. We did get through to the immigration dept. this afternoon and it appears we can submit the forms without medicals and police clearances - but as some of you have said, if they are concerned about anything they can then ask us to have the medicals done. The only hold up we have now is having to obtain a full birth certificate for OH, as his cheapskate Dad only ever paid for a short birth certificate and they are insisting on one with parents' full names on. We will just have to wait on that arriving before we post the docs. off - I'm having to do the paper application, as the online form INSISTS on me entering medical check details - totally contradicting what we've just been told, sigh!

Guest Nick11
Thanks gals for the reassuring reply. We did get through to the immigration dept. this afternoon and it appears we can submit the forms without medicals and police clearances - but as some of you have said, if they are concerned about anything they can then ask us to have the medicals done. The only hold up we have now is having to obtain a full birth certificate for OH, as his cheapskate Dad only ever paid for a short birth certificate and they are insisting on one with parents' full names on. We will just have to wait on that arriving before we post the docs. off - I'm having to do the paper application, as the online form INSISTS on me entering medical check details - totally contradicting what we've just been told, sigh!

I sent off for a full birth certificate for hubby - took only 2 weeks to arrive.

I thought you could do it online - but just omit the med section- I know others who have.

Guest Deb17

I'll have one last go with it then Nick, but originally tried to do that and it wouldn't let me proceed - all this red writing kept coming up, ordering me to enter medical checks. It's such an inflexible system...

Guest cunnah10
I'll have one last go with it then Nick, but originally tried to do that and it wouldn't let me proceed - all this red writing kept coming up, ordering me to enter medical checks. It's such an inflexible system...

Poor you Deb - just one hurdle after another!so unfair!

Wish you luck - keep plodding on - i'm sure it will all work out for you eventually

Guest soggy

Hi,

the online forms won't let you leave anything blank but you can normally get away with putting anything in the boxes, try putting in somthing like "will send if requested" should work:idea:

Simon:)