Can I put my motorbike in the container with everythung else?

Guest billm

Hi,

I'm looking for info on taking a motorbike over with me, can anyone help?

I'm hoping to not have to sell my bike to help cover the relocation costs and hope to take it with me - fingers crossed and lots of overtime! I live in the north of Scotland and am usually working the day summer happens so it hasn't had much use and Oz has perfect biking weather - a major draw for me.

Can I box it up and put it in a container with the rest of our stuff if there's room or does it have to go seperately?

Do I have to do anything to it prior to packing it besides cleaning it and draining the fluids - someone told me the petrol tank has to come off?

What happens at the other end regards customs and getting it legal for use in Oz?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Guest kfoley0681

hi yes it can go in the container with your household belongings i must suggest you ask the shipping company to crate it for its protection! you will need to clean it and drain it but you donot need to take it apart. you need to think of the costs involved there is the shipping import approval import tax, gst roadworthy tests and cost once here before being able to register it and paying those costs! good luck we have just got here with motor bike so if you need any more info or full break downs just let us know!

I believe there is a bit more to it than you might think.

When a friend of mine migrated to NZ 3 years ago he took two classic motorbikes and a BMW motor car.

They all went in the container, but they did not have their fluids drained.

However for NZ he had to have owned the vehicles for two years prior to any import taxes or GST being waived and he was told that he could drive them. It was two years before he got permission to register them and he tells me that if he did it again he would get it in writing that he could register upon arrival so as to be able to seek compensation if things went wrong.

For a more in depth understanding you should seek out someone who has actually done it like here

Good luck

Guest cornish Busdriver

To be honest, i would sell the bike and replace it this end.

I was gonna bring mine and the missus bikes over but the all the hassle of getting them spotless clean and i mean not one grain of dirt anywhere, on road inspections to meet south australian standards, re-registering, GST import tax, putting the bikes back to standard (no-mods).

This was just to much hassle and would have cost more than what the bikes were worth.

So unless its a very rare bike i would sell it.

Guest Richard & Amanda

Hiya,

My hubby brought his bike with us (against my better judgement!):arghh:

It came in its own special crate which fitted snugly inside our container.

We were completely in the dark as to the associated costs with transporting it - but that is another story about our choice of removal firms and lack of info!

Anyway once it arrived we seemed to do nothing but fork out $ for it. Funny thing was the bike which is 10yrs old (Honda Firestorm) INCREASED in value on the journey over and we had to pay gst on the increased value even though hubby still had the original receipt indicating what he paid for it.

Then there was inspection costs to check roadworthiness (funny cos there is no MOT here) more expense then it needed an Australian plate blah blah blah.

If you want further details hubby can explain it in all its technicolour glory pm me.

Amanda

Hi there

I'm pleased this thread is on as this morning we started thinking about taking our car over rather than buy there. We were wondering about costs and if can go in a container etc? In fact we weren't going to take anything but now thinking of taking everything, car and all

Lisa

Guest LOOBYLOO
Hi there

I'm pleased this thread is on as this morning we started thinking about taking our car over rather than buy there. We were wondering about costs and if can go in a container etc? In fact we weren't going to take anything but now thinking of taking everything, car and all

Lisa

Hi

Check out www.customs.gov.au and follow links for importing a motor vehicle. OH wanted to bring his Vespa scooter but we couldn't get import permit as we are on a temp visa. Hope this helps.

Hi there

Lisa

This chap bought over his land rover defender to brisbane and has a

web site dedicated to that move here.