Renting property in UK - Aussie tax implications?

Guest alan smallman

Guest alan smallman

Hi all:)

Looks like the only option we have at the moment is to rent our property out until the property market picks up in a couple of years time (maybe, hopefully!)

We've been told that the rent we will receive is liable for taxation by the Australian authorities. Is this true since we are only coming over on a temporary business visa initially, and will still be classed as Brits working abroad? I understood that this only happens when/if we become Australian citizens. Has anybody else leased out their property back in the UK and found that they are liable to pay tax on the rent they receive even thought their property is in the UK?:unsure:

Does this apply to a works pension I also receive, which isn't affected by the current salary I earn with the NHS at the moment and indeed, isn't taxed by UK pension fund administrators?

Any help or info you can provide would (as always) be appreciated.:notworthy:

Many Thanks

Alan