Blooming Sharks!

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

Well we got out there in fair conditions apart from this persistent rain.

Andy came out to a favourite spot of mine with the promise of some Snapper.

No go as the blooming sharks had moved in.

Andy hooked up to something nice and big but the line bust or was chewed through.

Not long after Andy hooked again and after a good battle brought in a 1 metre 7 Gill Shark.Not a massive fish but easy to handle and at that size the flesh is very tender. Still had some sharp choppers on him though!

He took a bit to finish off as they are very nice to eat. After filleting he will feed two families tonight.

Bit messy on the boat,he took a while to expire.

Some while later Andy (yet again!) hooked up.

This time it was a flaming monster!

Sure this was a Shark with the way the line was peeling out.

He took that much line out that I thought he would strip the reel.

I tightened the drag to try and slow him but suddenly he bust off.

Probably we would not have tried to get him in the boat but would have been good to see what it was.

This fish was a real "Horse" - he bust 50lb braid line!! Never had that happen before.

By this time we realised the Snapper had been chased of and the weather turned awful ,if not a little dangerous.

We pulled in the berley bag that had chopped fish guts and stuff to see the Sharks had chomped that as well - and added a very large extra hole

Onya Andy,you did well today in not the best of conditions. Just shows how quickly the weather can change out there.

A few piccies.....................

18022011068.jpg

18022011067.jpg

The "Chomped" berley bag.................

18022011070.jpg

Guest Guest5035

How did you try to make it, quote "expire" unquote, surely the aim is to not let it suffer any more? As about the sharks and the rain, i did tell you in your other thread!!

Stevo

Guest Guest75
How did you try to make it, quote "expire" unquote, surely the aim is to not let it suffer any more? As about the sharks and the rain, i did tell you in your other thread!!

Stevo

I don't really like to discuss some methods as there may be some readers who are squeamish.

But ya asked........

As soon as possible and safe you spike then through the brain,trouble is this guy had a very small brain!

Once dispatched you have to remove the fins as they release ammonia into the body.

Guest Guest75
righto now i know, can you not just use a big sharp knife and whip off the head?

stevo

Nah - on a boat you are not allowed to fillet or cut up a fish changing it's size if you know what I mean. Fisheries inspectors demand you keep the fish whole.

Best way for shark and bigger stuff is to put a spike or knife through the brain.

Smaller stuff we throw into an esky full of ice. This is a fairly quick way and preserves them quickly.

I'm all for humane ways but safety first - those choppers were sharp,plus I'm wary after a Snapper chowed down on my finger.:shocked: