SA Zoos

Guest nishman

Guest nishman

With Easter coming up fast, I reckon a trip to the zoo or monarto (the real zoo) could well be on the cards. There's a few things going on that you might be insterested at both sites. I've pasted some of the info from the news email below:

Monarto Zoo school holidays

Take a Walk on the Wild side at Monarto Zoo during the school holidays.

The Zu-loop shuttle will be operating all Easter weekend and April school holidays taking visitors out to the Wildlife viewing platforms. Safari guided tours will not be operating during this period, but our ever informative guides will be on the Zu-loop shuttle to provide information on how to make the most of your experience at the Zoo.

Conservation talks by the volunteer guides, as well as the ever popular Keeper talks will be presented from the platforms at regular schedules. For the more adventurous, don’t forget to bring your walking boots, the Zoo has 10 kms of walking tracks linking to the wildlife viewing platforms.

'Live at the Zoo'

Saturday 11 – Sunday 12 April

Monarto Zoo

Out of Wild Africa, Monarto Zoo's massive new 500 hectare tract, an epic music, arts & campout festival is born! South Australia now has its own multi-day music festival. 50 Indie, Alternative, Dance/Electro and Hip Hop artists will perform on 3 stages over two huge nights. The Non-stop Chimp Club features major Electro & Hip Hop Bands and DJs continuously for 54 hours. from 12:01 Saturday 11 April through Monday morning ending at dawn.

Camping all Easter weekend is included in every ticket and allowed in the 66 acre concert amphitheatre if you arrive early.

One-day tickets are also available, valid from dawn to dawn Saturday or Sunday. The main stage plays from noon to midnight Saturday and from 11am Sunday. A third stage features local SA bands and DJs playing to the throngs of jungle tribes. Be an animal for the weekend!

Easter at Adelaide & Monarto Zoo

Easter Long Weekend

Friday 10 – Monday 13 April

There will be all sorts of activities to enjoy at both Adelaide and Monarto Zoos this Easter long weekend.

Adelaide Zoo:

• Panda on Parade & Bilby Trail – great prizes up for grabs if you can find all the pandas and bilbies in the Zoo!

• Easter craft activities in the Rotunda

• Special Bilby Keeper talks

• Haighs chocolate egg giveaways
  • Face painting

Monarto Zoo:

• Easter craft activities in the Visitor Centre
  • Haighs chocolate egg giveaways

I've read that the safari bus runs are being stopped from Easter onwards, instead the Zu-Loop will be the only bus. This means you won't have to book up as soon as you get there, and should make the day a little more flexible, especially if you're up for a bit of bush walking between the stops.

One thing I've still not heard anything about is the new Chimp enlcosure at Monarto. it was supposed to have openned in January last I heard, but I've not seen any pomp and ceremony, so I assume it's still under contruction? Anyone been up recently?

If you've not before, Monarto is well worth the trip up the Freeway. Get onto the website and plan around the keepers talks to get the most out of your day.

To find out more - http://www.zoossa.com.au/

BTW - a good use of your "stimulus payment" would be a year's family pass. It covers free entry to both the zoo and monarto, and pays for itself on the third trip!

Oh, and I don't work for the zoo, just passing on the knowledge ;)