New to the forum

Guest Deb17

Guest Deb17

Hi all you ex-Brits. Sorry, but I'm going to be the archetypal whingeing pom here.:realmad:

I'm Deb, on the verge of 40, looking to make contact with other women/men/families/anyone at all to stop me going stir crazy. Been in Adelaide for almost two years on 495 visa, (the pits!) and still don't have a job. Was a Primary School Teacher in UK and gave up a secure post to take this huge leap into the unknown and now I'm paying for it (!) Is there anyone out there who feels like I do, and is completely disappointed and negative about the Aussie experience? It would be lovely to meet up with other people who aren't all happy/smiley/upbeat about being here, so we could have a moan together.

I have a husband who is working and two kids at school here who are quite content with their lives, but I feel like I've sacrificed my whole life for them and am extremely resentful. In spite of all this I do try to make the best of things, enjoy each of life's little pleasures, including burying my nose in a nice glass of local vino to drown my sorrows - practically the only thing I do like about Oz.

Guest Libby1971

Hi Deb

You don't say where you are but I hope we can meet up.

We spent 11 years trying to get here - training and qualifiying to be teachers etc, getting the exp to pass the visa etc and when we arrived I expected to be hit by a massive wave of lurve for all things Aussie. It didn't happen and I felt cheated, robbed of 11 years of my life and all the dreams that went with it.

We haven't been here as long as you (only been almost 14 months) and I am now 8 weeks into my first perm teaching job since we arrived. I gave up a job I liked with kids I liked to move and yes, I think it is hard to see the rosy side of things when there is nothing to replace that with.

There are lots of teachers and non-teachers who are in a situation where they like to have a whinge about one thing or another. Having a grump over a bottle of wine is good, over 2 bottles of wine is better though! :biglaugh:

I would not say I have bonded with Oz in the same way as my OH and girls have but I can see the perks in being here.

We're doing a girlie day out in a few weeks and it would be great if you could join us. Nothing exciting, Rundle Street to start and then shopping or coffee or all of it afterwards.

If however you'd like to get together before that, please pm me or email me

eawarner60@hotmail.com

Thinking of you

Libby

Hi Deb17 ive replied to you through my moan but I have read your posting. That's my worry as I am a primary school teacher and very very worried about getting a job in oz. I did the graduate teacher programme and they dont recognise this in oz!! Also I am 40 ish so would be happy to email you to help keep your spirits up. janine @meregrn.bham.sch.uk hope this helps Janine

Guest Deb17

Hi Janine from another ex-Brummie! :wubclub:

I keep trying to post my reply on this forum but it won't let me. If you'd like to e-mail me directly I'm on peteanddeb@aandr.com.au and I can tell you about the reality of teaching opportunities out here - basically none.

Sorry to be such a glum.

Deb17 xx