GOOD STORIES PLEASE??!!

Guest BRUMDOWNUNDER

Guest BRUMDOWNUNDER

Hi,

Looks like I'll be moving to South Oz with wife and 2 year old end of 2007 beginning of 2008. We cant wait!!! We haven't actually visited Oz but know that it's the right move for us. I'll be coming over as a carpenter / site manager. The wife's been trying to find out info on childcare as she will be returning to work. We'll have the equity from our house to bring over but just a small sum, enough for a deposit on house. We have heard a couple of unhappy stories recently about people who have decided to return to the UK but in the main most good accounts.

If you have any stories to share with us, or if you were in a similar position we would be grateful for any advice.

Guest BJF

Well I guess we're one of those minority you've heard about because we'd move back to UK tomorrow if we could afford the removals and flights.

Guest Guest75

Hiya

Welcome to PIA :o

We shall be celebrating our 7th year here next week and love it :D:D

The journey to here has been a roller coaster ride but we certainly call this place home now.Lots of hard work and frustration.

We took Citizenship a few years back as well - that was the icing on the cake.

Judging by the posts I see in forums about 20% return - for all sorts of reasons.

The streets are not paved with gold and there is no easy life at first.Do not come over with rosy coloured glasses.There does seem to be something for everyone here though - just finding it that is the problem.

Just general homesickness.

When my dad was diagnosed with non-hodgkins just before christmas it made us realise that our families are no longer just a few hours car ride away. When you live in the same country you can always find enough money for petrol but when you're looking at several thousand dollars and 24 hours travel (if you can get a flight) then it's very different.

We came over here determined to never look back, we told our families that as harsh as it sounded we probably wouldn't even travel home for funerals but when you're faced with the possibility of never seeing a family member again due to illness it's a very different story.

It's not Australia we don't like, it's the thought of never seeing our parents or families again. This reality of what we'd done hit after we'd been here for about 3 months, the shopping for new stuff was finished, hubby started work, kids started school.....basically, the honeymoon was over.

We've been here since November 2004 and we'll stick it out until Tori graduates high school end of 2009, we're looking at moving back sometime in 2010.

I'd never discourage anyone from taking the plunge, we don't regret moving here because if we hadn't we would've spent the next 30 or so years saying 'What if?'

Guest jen&ian

Hi Brumdownunder,

Welcome to PIA. Whereabouts in Brum are you from? My other half is from Sutton Coldfield and I went to school in Sutton & uni in Brum.We are moving to SA with our 3 kids in October if we ever sell the naffing house! :roll:

Good luck with everything.

Jen :D

Guest Django

Hi BRUM,

:shock: Another one from the west mids eh :?:

10_5_3.gif

Don't want any hate mail :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

11.gif

Only joking. Welcome to the forum its a fabby place and the people are helpful and friendly. :D

Pete

Guest Guest75
Pete dont start all your midlands stuff again you know what happened last time!!!!! welcome welcome :D:D cheers Graham

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Get's even weirder here in Adelaide.

I'm originally from Yorkshire so quite used to the North / South divide.

Now I live in the South of Adelaide and sometimes defend living in the South against the North!! :lol: :lol:

Guest happy-jools

Hi Guys and Welcome to PIA.

Were hoping to be in Adelaide the begining of 2008. We have two young girls 7 and 3 and are all looking forward to the adventure.

And adventure it will be. So join in the fun.

:lol: :lol:

Guest BRUMDOWNUNDER

Jen & Ian,

Hi, we're actually from Halesowen! :roll:

Have you been looking into the childcare in SA? Where abouts in SA are looking at moving to?

Guest jen&ian

Hi again,

Will the last people to leave Halesowen please turn out the light :lol: Do you know any of the other members of the Halesowen massive on the forum? In answer to your questions, no I don't know much about the childcare available, will be looking at school for our oldest and will be at home with younger ones for a while. We are probably looking at the south of Adelaide, have a few areas in mind but going to keep an open mind till we get there. How about you ?

Jen :D

Guest Tina
Jen & Ian,

Hi, we're actually from Halesowen! :roll:

Have you been looking into the childcare in SA? Where abouts in SA are looking at moving to?

Hi Brumdownunder,

welcome to the site, dont know much about childcare but have you seen the midlands meet & greet 2. You could discuss your query there if you'd like to come,

Tina