Do we ship everything out OR start again?

Guest cunnah10

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Just bring everything you have, throw out the rubbish when it gets here , have a full 20ft, send it a couple weeks before you leave, stay with or borrow off of rellies.

We didnt ship our matresses that way we had them till we left and bought new ones here to sleep on. lots do that, they all cope while waiting by buying garden table and chairs. It is all part of the adventure, also $600 a week for a fully furnished house....whats wrong with that?? You cant beat a comfortable start in what could be a massive rollercoaster ride once you get here.

Dont forget too its not the cost of replacing the large furniture items its the small things, go through your kitchens and add up the replacement costs of knives and fork, mugs and plates etc, then do that throught the house!:unsure:. All electrical appliances do work, even 10 yr old fridges! ome tvs dont but all you need is a $50 set top box and bobs your uncle!

sarah

Guest Alipally

Glad to read that we're doing the right thing!

Everything was packed up at the house last week, goes into the container on Thursday to be shipped... I'm not sure when!:goofy:

I totted up the value of everything for insurance purposes... jsut over £20,000 and... that was a conservative estimate. 20 years of hourding mostly kitchenalila.. has really bumped it up I can tell you!

So the total cost of shipping is £4189 with the insurance.

We're not due to arrive in Adelaide until 23/24th September and we've already booked holiday accomodation for 2 weeks to give us enough time to find somewhere to rent. Yes is is costing, $650 per week, but I think it's worth it to sleep on a decent bed and be able to cook a meal, whilst we look for somewhere to live and find gainful employment. Frankly I'm poo'ing my pants about the whole thing! So taking all my worldly goods is one less thing for me to fret about!!

• 1 month later...
Guest thebaddeleys
We are shipping everything and like you have had to think how we are going to manage with 4 small children. We are basically taking everything apart from pots and pans as they are knackered. We are going to take a few bits ike the kids cutlery in our hand luggage. We are planning to find a rental quickly but like you will have to wait for our stuff to arrive. Sleeping wise we will buy mattresses for the kids as theirs are knackered so will be able to use them and when their beds arrive they will be used to them!! As for us my stipulation for moving was that we leave our bed here as I hate it and it is about 300 years old so we will be ok!!:biglaugh:

Furniture wise we don't have any out door furniture here so will buy that anyway and use that inside until the container arrives. You don't need to buy kettles and toasters as youcan boil water in a pan and do toast under a grill. Otherwise the only stuff we will buy is what we need to anyway that isn't coming in the container. I am just trying to find out at the moifIcan take a travel cot as part of our luggage as both Joe and Niamh are still in cots (Niamh in acot bed) so may have to buy a cot or see if any nice people on here have a travel cot we can borrow. If I can't take it as hand luggage I will be after 2!!! Niamh is 2 and a half but nowhere near ready for a bed!!

Anyway, hope that helps

Hi there,

did you find out if you could travel cots as luggage like you can with pushchairs??? we have 2 travel cots that we will need as soon as we arrive! x x