Ugg Boots Email Virus

Diane

Has anyone else had this problem? After replying to someone's query on here about Ugg Boots and where you could buy them, there have been emails sent out from my hotmail account (the one linked to PIA) to people on my address list about where they can get cheap Ugg Boots and giving a link to click on.

Obviously this is some sort of virus as they do not appear in my Sent Box at all, but it shows as coming from our email address.

Help!!!

Diane

Your hotmail account address book I would think is held on line and not on your local computer?

ask someone who has received such an e-mail pretending to be from you to send it to you, with complete headers, and post the headers here (perhaps?)

For one I am sure there is bound to be someone on PIA who is knowledgeable about this sort of security breach, because I am not so sure it's a virus and also hotmail security would like to know I am sure.

Hi, I have had a similar problem and know a few other people who had too, I think this is now the new scam. Ours was some online cheap goods from China, where they get into your email and send emails pretending they you to all your contacts. We changed passwords, to more complicated passwords and it hasn't happen again, fingers crossed.

Hi Guys,

As with all forums, we do get an amount of spam posters, which is unavodable at present. The security we employ on the forum to prevent these spammers is robust, however recently the spammers have been able to break some of the methods put in place to stop robots registering.

PiA would not carry any sort of virus. If you spot a spammy message on the forum please report the message and do not follow links. We clean them up as soon ats the mods are aware.

PiA itself does not host any viruses and it is these third parties. Just like you do with email, if you see a suspect message you delete it and don't bother to follow the links, the same applies here!

Tim

Thanks Tim - I just thought it was a bit of a wierd coincidence that the post on here concerned Ugg Boots and so did the spam email... but I've Googled the prblem and it sounds like it's a random email content, sent out to all your contact addresses, and in some cases it then deletes all your contact list. Luckily most of the people I have on my contact list know I spell better and have better grammar than that in the spam email so hopefully that triggers off alarm bells and they won't click on the link! It's even actually had good results as it prompted some old friends i nthe UK that I haven't heard from for ages to email me back with all their news!

As it's Hotmail though, any idea how I can report it to MSN?

Diane

Thanks Tim - I just thought it was a bit of a wierd coincidence that the post on here concerned Ugg Boots and so did the spam email... but I've Googled the prblem and it sounds like it's a random email content, sent out to all your contact addresses, and in some cases it then deletes all your contact list. Luckily most of the people I have on my contact list know I spell better and have better grammar than that in the spam email so hopefully that triggers off alarm bells and they won't click on the link! It's even actually had good results as it prompted some old friends i nthe UK that I haven't heard from for ages to email me back with all their news!

As it's Hotmail though, any idea how I can report it to MSN?

Diane

I must say that I have heard of people posting about a certain subject on a forum then all of a sudden they start getting spam e-mail about that subject.

I suspect that it's some sort od watching software where robots report back and then spam gets sent out to harvested e-mail addresses.