Goolwa !!!

Cherrypecker

Hey,

When our long term rental finishes, we hope to have bought a home of our own. We really love Goolwa and its surrounding area. We are currently researching it, and trying to get a feel for how 'outsiders' may be accepted there.

Does anyone on here have any good/bad or indifferent comments about Goolwa? We appreciate that its remoteness from some things may be an issue, but other than that, it appears to be quite idyllic.

Any feedback would be greatly received.

Thank you and Happy New Year to you all.

Paul & Sarah

Hi Paul and Sarah,

I don't know anything from an insider point of view about accepting outsiders but just to say that we love Goolwa too - it's a fab little place with an amazing beach. Good luck.

Haven't tried living there but we've taken short breaks at Victor Harbor, Goolwa and Port Elliott and love that part of the world even if it is a little isolated from the city of Adelaide. We have always found the locals very friendly and helpful and I'm sure they treat new arrivals in the same way. It is a popular tourist destination so they are used to 'foreign/interstate' visitors.

The whole Fleuriu Peninsular is a lovely place place to live provided you don't mind being away from the 'bright lights' and there are plenty of things to do and good local shopping centres.

DSC01906.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I love Goolwa, it's a lovely place, with the river and the beach. It's a great place for a holiday, very relaxing. Some things to think about

- lots of the houses there are holiday homes so I don't know how many full time residents there are (and where they all live). You might end up living in a street where half the houses are empty half the time, or are holiday lets with different people there each week.

- there are a lot of retirees in the area - Victor Harbor has the highest average age in the whole of Australia, so there won't be so many young families with children

- it's probably a lovely place to grow up for young kids, but teenagers might find it very boring and crave the bright lights of the city

- it gets very cold down there in the winter - there nothing between you and Antarctica!!!!!

Good luck with your decision. Sometimes I'd love to move somewhere out of the city but maybe that will have to wait until the kids are off our hands...

Guest JayandEm

Hi ya, we've been living in goolwa for six months and absolutely love it! The locals are very friendly and we've made heaps of friends already. It is a lot quieter in the winter, I think the population triples over Xmas and in January! We arrived at the beginning of july and didn't find it too cold, if you speak to the locals they say it is warmer down here than in Adelaide in the winter and cooler in the summer. We both found work within a couple of weeks, in real estate and plumbing. We don't have kids so not sure on schools etc. As we're both working fairly local, we don't find the distance from Adelaide an issue, in fact I've only been into Adelaide 3 times! We go to noarlunga if we want to some half decent shopping. It is fairly quiet here but we're from devon originally so not used to big cities anyway. We're looking into buying a block soon so no intentions of leaving! Let me know if there's anything you want to know. Emma

if you speak to the locals they say it is warmer down here than in Adelaide in the winter and cooler in the summer.

Hi, I was curious about this and am a sucker for statistics so I looked up the official figures from the BOM (Weather bureau)

For 1 month of the year (July) Goolwa is actually warmer than Adelaide! (Goolwa Mean Max 15.4 Min 7.7 Adelaide Mean Max 15.3 Min 7.5)

but for the other 11 months of the year Adelaide is warmer.

The biggest difference is in January (Goolwa Mean Max 23.6 Min 15.4 Adelaide Mean Max 29.2 Min 17.1)

The annual average mean temperatures are Goolwa Max 19.7 Min 11.3 Adelaide Max 22.3 Min 12.2

See Goolwa http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_023849.shtml

and Adelaide http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_023090.shtml

Hi ya, we've been living in goolwa for six months and absolutely love it! The locals are very friendly and we've made heaps of friends already. It is a lot quieter in the winter, I think the population triples over Xmas and in January! We arrived at the beginning of july and didn't find it too cold, if you speak to the locals they say it is warmer down here than in Adelaide in the winter and cooler in the summer. We both found work within a couple of weeks, in real estate and plumbing. We don't have kids so not sure on schools etc. As we're both working fairly local, we don't find the distance from Adelaide an issue, in fact I've only been into Adelaide 3 times! We go to noarlunga if we want to some half decent shopping. It is fairly quiet here but we're from devon originally so not used to big cities anyway. We're looking into buying a block soon so no intentions of leaving! Let me know if there's anything you want to know. Emma

Cheers Emma. I will definetly be in touch as and when we have questions, thank you. It's great to know that there are already some ex-pats down there, and that you are happy there.

Paul

I love Goolwa, it's a lovely place, with the river and the beach. It's a great place for a holiday, very relaxing. Some things to think about

- lots of the houses there are holiday homes so I don't know how many full time residents there are (and where they all live). You might end up living in a street where half the houses are empty half the time, or are holiday lets with different people there each week.

- there are a lot of retirees in the area - Victor Harbor has the highest average age in the whole of Australia, so there won't be so many young families with children

- it's probably a lovely place to grow up for young kids, but teenagers might find it very boring and crave the bright lights of the city

- it gets very cold down there in the winter - there nothing between you and Antarctica!!!!!

Good luck with your decision. Sometimes I'd love to move somewhere out of the city but maybe that will have to wait until the kids are off our hands...

Great post Anne, thank you. We will certainly take all these facts into consideration.

Paul

Sarah and Paul

We are off to Goolwa for a week tomorrow with my Mom and Dad. Its our 1st time down there.

Will give you a shout when we get back.

Donna and Rob

Have a fab time. We will be interested to see what you think of it down there.

Please give us a shout when you get back, it's been a while.

Enjoy

Paul & Sarah

PS. (Teddy is missing Archie)

Have a fab time. We will be interested to see what you think of it down there.

Please give us a shout when you get back, it's been a while.

Enjoy

Paul & Sarah

PS. (Teddy is missing Archie)

Yes sorry. Life has been a bit hectic since mom and Dad have been here, showing them the sights etc and working as well.

Speak soon.

Hope Archie behaves on holiday else we will be leaving him with you next time. lol

xxx