Using webcams

The Monaghans

Gaaaahhhh! Please someone help before I throw this ****ing computer through the window! Before we left the UK we bought a couple of Logitech webcams, one for us and one for my mum. I've installed the webcam on both mine and mums laptops and downloaded Windows Live Messenger. But how the bleep do you make a call???? I keep taking "the tour" but it just freezes all the time and doesn't tell my anything useful! Poor mum is desperate to see the kids on the webcam so can someone please tell me what I need to do????? I know I sound like an idiot but I'm 42, of course I don't know how to use technology!:wacko:

Guest Libby1971

Hi Liz

Panic yourself not, Libby to the rescue!!!

I confess I haven't got a Danny La Rue what happens with msn messenger. :nah: My daughter is and remains the only person in our household who can work it.

However, download Skype from the internet. Both of you. It's free and takes minutes.

Once done, you add each other to your contact lists and can either char using text or, as I and my sister do, using the camera. It's great. I have been able to watch my nieces play with toys across the lounge floor, and I love it. It is hard at times though like when I want to give them a cuddle and they are soooooooooooooooooooo far away but on the whole it is good.

I hope this works

Libby

Guest deb and stoo

Yo Liz dude

We did exactly the same as you, bought a new laptop and webcam and after much shouting and swearing managed to get it going on Messenger, though am not even trying on this crappy dial up we have here. My Step Father suggested Skype so I downloaded it and was about to use it when a 'compatability' issue came up as, until Service Pack 1 comes out on Vista, Skype will not work with it, but should be good for XP and all before.

If you need a hand with it tommorrow we can pop round and have a look (as I still have no job:() just give us a call in the morning after nine, unless you want us to pop in on the way back from the schoolrun.

:)

Hi Stoo, one step ahead of you love. I have banished Messenger from the laptop and downloaded Skype which seems to be quite straightforward (even for me...:wacko:). Am waiting for my dear old mother to do the same and hopefully we should be able to see each other by tomorrow. :( about the job front but know you'll come good in the end. Tell Deb will phone her in the morning after nine. Chin up dude.

xxx

Guest deb and stoo

Yo Liz dude

Well done, you're a better man than me then :biglaugh: you have XP not Vista I presume? Bloody thing is so frustrating especially as the other 3 computers are XP and 98.....gets very confusing.

Will listen out for your call while watching 'Goodnight Sweetheart' which we've become addicted to and am sure something positive will come along on the job front.....maybe if I stop shaving I could be a stores Father Christmas............Ho Ho bloody Ho !!

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Yo Liz dude

Well done, you're a better man than me then :biglaugh: you have XP not Vista I presume? Bloody thing is so frustrating especially as the other 3 computers are XP and 98.....gets very confusing.

Will listen out for your call while watching 'Goodnight Sweetheart' which we've become addicted to and am sure something positive will come along on the job front.....maybe if I stop shaving I could be a stores Father Christmas............Ho Ho bloody Ho !!

If the PC( no pun intended) campaign get their way you, you might have to drop the Ho Ho Ho and replace it with Ha Ha Ha:mad::wacko:

Guzzler

Guest deb and stoo

Yo Keith dude

Yeah forgot about that one, as you said we thought we left all that 'PC' bollox behind in the UK but looks like its followed us out. Now if Santa said 'Prostitute, prostitute, prostitute little boy' instead of 'Ho, ho, ho' then I could understand it and anyway thats not the way you spell it is it? Not being up on LA streetgang speak myself:biglaugh:

Guest graandjac

:biglaugh:Yo Stoo we have a new laptop with vista pro and skype works well right now with a logitec cam , have chatted to kieth a few times in oz and had no worries. Cheers Graham

Guest Libby1971

Hi Liz

I sometimes have this problem...

Make sure that when it is plugged in to the computer that a prompt box pops up to ask you if it is okay for that programme to access skype. It should do when you or it may be when you start your comp. Try it and see.

Libby