• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree2Likes

Thread: college teaching job

958 times
      Quote Originally Posted by violet View Post
      Thanks Jessica for your reply.

BTW, As a trainer, do we get to plan our training material or have to follow the training center material?

I am not sure if I just apply for a short term study and then, get the training license, will i be able to get a job in any of the training center. Anyone has done this before?

Thanks and regards,

With regards to training material it is probably a mixture. I have been asked to run some workshops for the learners and I am creating my own resources but for the main units they are studying we have pre-prepared training materials purchased from an external source.

It is important to get the Cert IV TAA or else you will struggle to even get an interview unless it is a particular area they have a shortage in and will be willing to take you on while you studying for it.

In my case, I had the TAA qualification and additional qualifications, the work experience and was in the right place at the right time, I spotted the advert on a Friday and applied more or less as soon as it came on seek.com.au and they rang me a few hours later to come for an interview on the Monday and I started on the Thursday.

I have to add I have been here just over 3 years now and it has taken this long for things to start slotting into place workwise.

153 times
      It will depend on your visa. I started lecturing while on a student visa (post grad) and ended up being employed full time ... that was 5 years ago and I'm still there. It is often very casual to start with, ie: not many hours a week and only paid in semester and when you are actually teaching (ie: not all RTO's pay for prep) Some materials provided but it depends on the course/what you are teaching etc and you are usually able to add your own insights etc but will need to meet the curriculum requirements. Hence the advice re the Cert IV is helpful as having this and an understanding of training packages (aka curriculum) really helps.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123