Undergraduate study in SA- any infomation very welcome!!

Guest holliepop

Guest holliepop

Hi, have looked through old threads and can't seem to find anything on this so who knows it might help someone else!! Me and my boyfriend are currently at the very early stage of the immigration process but with a lot of luck we envisage being in Adelaide by Nov 2013. My boyfriend is an electrician so it will be his skill that I m 'piggy backing' on:wink: lol. I have had a bit of a yearning to study Midwifery for sometime but have decided to get to Oz first. I am aware that it won't be as cheap as studying in the UK but as there is only the 2 of us and no family to support then money isn't as big an issue as it would be if there were- we are by no means loaded unfortunately. Just wanted to know if anyone has studied when they have got to Oz and what the cost is as a resident and eligibility for entry as a mature student? If anyone can provide any info or past experience it would be very gratefully received!!!

Thanks in advance guys!!! xxx

Guest eager6

Hi, well midwifery is extremely difficult to get into here in Adelaide. I am trying to at the moment but it is hard. 40places a year and over 600 apply. For mature students you need to sit the SATAC exam or undergo Foundation Studies program that l am currently doing. Points are high for midwifery 93 where as nursing is 62!

400 places a year for nursing. Courses cost approx 7,500 per year. All info is on website www.flinders.edu.au Studying here is similar to England where you can pay back your fees once you start working but there are stipulations with that. Have a look at Flinders website and as far as l know Uni SA is the other Uni in Adelaide that does Midwifery. Good Luck

You are not eligable for Hecs ( a student loan), until you have been here 4 years. We are putting our daughter through Uni, she has PR, but she is not eligable for any sort of loan, so we have to stump it all up....as you say upfront. Others also get a reduction if they pay the full amount early....we arent even eligable for that :sad:

Donna

Hi, well midwifery is extremely difficult to get into here in Adelaide. I am trying to at the moment but it is hard. 40places a year and over 600 apply. For mature students you need to sit the SATAC exam or undergo Foundation Studies program that l am currently doing. Points are high for midwifery 93 where as nursing is 62!

400 places a year for nursing. Courses cost approx 7,500 per year. All info is on website www.flinders.edu.au Studying here is similar to England where you can pay back your fees once you start working but there are stipulations with that. Have a look at Flinders website and as far as l know Uni SA is the other Uni in Adelaide that does Midwifery. Good Luck

It depends on what qualifications you have got already. My daughter is a mature student currently studying midwifery at UniSA and did not have to sit an exam nor undergo foundation studies. They had a larger class size start this year (60) as they predict a shortfall in the future. As for the nurse numbers they are training it is a ridiculous amount with currently approx 1000 qualifying each year with very few graduate posts to go to. It will probably even itself out in the end but currently they have found it incredibly difficult to find jobs and if you are on an 'international student' visa you cannot even apply for government graduate positions (ie public hospitals).