19 yr old daughter worried re work!

Guest theclarkes

Guest theclarkes

Can anyone give us any advise, my 19 year old daughter is at colleger doing a level 3 in Business and Admin, she enrolled on it originally so she would be a dependant but also in case Oz never happened for us so that she would have a good qualification to go into a job, as its equivalent to 2 A levels. The prob is we are moving out in Feb which cuts her course short and as she has done so much work for it she is contemplating trying to stay here, but has nowhere to stay. She thinks she will find it difficult to get work in an office without this qualification and the experience she has is working with kids, customer service and retail. But she has set her sights on working as an admin assistant or something of that nature. Can anyone tell us if she finished this course would it help greatly with finding work out there? Would she find work easy enough without it? Any thoughts or opinions would be great. Lorraine

Guest theclarkes
Is she doing this course in Uk or Aus?

Hi there,

In the UK, we are moving out to Adelaide in Feb. She wouldnt mind doing a course in Oz but she on the other hand wants to be earning. Is 19 too old to be enrolling in a course do you think?? Decisions decisions, Im very worried now that she wont come with us.:

I work in an apprenticeship centre. people of all ages enroll on traineeships!!

She could continue the course here, if she brings over some proof of what she has covered in the course so far, she would most likely get recognition of prior learning and the training organisation would possibly allow her some credit towards the qualification here. There are several qualifications within business and admin.

Some employers advertising for staff do request that they have an admin qualification but then on the other hand others will take on staff without. Some employers advertise for someone who is willing to complete a qualification and the employer will pay for that person to complete the qual during their working week. So that could be a possibility too.

I would take some time and have a look on www.seek.com.au to see what admin jobs are available and what employers are looking for to give you more idea.

Mel

Guest Jo&Phil

I assume this is an NVQ III.... the equivalent here may be a Cert 2 or Cert 3 and either are a good stepping stone into entry level employment.

Could your daughter finish her course via 'correspondence'?

If she enrolled in TAFE or similar here for a Cert III in Business Administration she would meet lots of people her own age - beneficial - and obtain an Australian qualification that is very well recognised - equally beneficial.

She would get some credit for any study she had already done that was equivalent (skills matching in Currie St will help with the equivalency bit).

The only downside is that, depending on your visa, she may be counted as an 'International Student' with much higher fees than the Australian student (TAFE fees capped at approx $2200 for any 2 consecutive semesters from 2011). TAFE courses start early Feb (usually) see www.tafe.sa.edu.au and you may be able to apply for 'places available' if there is space as applications for domestic students will have closed ........ probably still ok for international students. As an alternative she may be able to enrol for 'single subjects' if there is space and work part time.

Good luck with the move

Guest theclarkes
I assume this is an NVQ III.... the equivalent here may be a Cert 2 or Cert 3 and either are a good stepping stone into entry level employment.

Could your daughter finish her course via 'correspondence'?

If she enrolled in TAFE or similar here for a Cert III in Business Administration she would meet lots of people her own age - beneficial - and obtain an Australian qualification that is very well recognised - equally beneficial.

She would get some credit for any study she had already done that was equivalent (skills matching in Currie St will help with the equivalency bit).

The only downside is that, depending on your visa, she may be counted as an 'International Student' with much higher fees than the Australian student (TAFE fees capped at approx $2200 for any 2 consecutive semesters from 2011). TAFE courses start early Feb (usually) see www.tafe.sa.edu.au and you may be able to apply for 'places available' if there is space as applications for domestic students will have closed ........ probably still ok for international students. As an alternative she may be able to enrol for 'single subjects' if there is space and work part time.

Good luck with the move

Thank you for your reply. I had a reply from tafe this morning, the only problem is the course starts 14 feb and we won't be there in our longer term rental until the 28th feb, they didn't answer if she could start it late. Would you know a way around this? We will be on a pr visa, do you know what approx fees are if you are a permanent resident? As my son is 17 and he may like to do a course or apprenticeship. He has just done IT over here and will probably look into that but its the start date issue. Thanks in advance. Lorraine

Guest theclarkes
I work in an apprenticeship centre. people of all ages enroll on traineeships!!

She could continue the course here, if she brings over some proof of what she has covered in the course so far, she would most likely get recognition of prior learning and the training organisation would possibly allow her some credit towards the qualification here. There are several qualifications within business and admin.

Some employers advertising for staff do request that they have an admin qualification but then on the other hand others will take on staff without. Some employers advertise for someone who is willing to complete a qualification and the employer will pay for that person to complete the qual during their working week. So that could be a possibility too.

I would take some time and have a look on www.seek.com.au to see what admin jobs are available and what employers are looking for to give you more idea.

Mel

Hi Mel, I have sent you a private message, am not sure if you have received it or not as not showing sent??

Lorraine:

Guest kangomik

I wouldn't get too hung up about start dates here for Tafe, I just spent two years there and have seen people start at different times during a course.

You English Quals won't be recognised in most work places, but the TAFE will recognise the level that you are at.

Don't worry about the age thing, people use tafe day and night of all ages.

It's a good way to meet people, and if your good at TAFE you will get some job contacts too, as well as new friends.

As for cost's, well lets call it an investment.