Cost of living in Adelaide

Tizzer

Guest moonraker1959

Hi Tizzer,

Can't help with current costs(I had lived in SA for 30 years but not recently).There have been loads of threads on this subject already so maybe go throught some older posts.You can always virtually shop with Woolies or Coles supermarkets for get an idea of grocery costs,and I think every concievable other cost has been covered already,schools,medical,utility bills ect.I'm sure someone who now lives in SA will come along soon.I do have to say though,I had read on here last year groceries were supposed to be expensive.When I went back to SA to visit folks,I really did'nt think they were too bad,infact I was quite surprised by some of the prices!I guess you can work out on average from other people's posts.but until you actually live there yourself,its abit hard to generalise if you know what I mean?Some people say they spend $300 per week on groceries and alot of people say they pay quite abit less?I think its incredibly personal trying to work out costs myself.It depends on how you shop,what you buy ect.Then utility bills?That depends how many people are in your household,are you out of the house all day and so on.Socially,that can differ alot as well.Are you a stay at home type?Or do you go out alot?Are you going to run one or two cars?And where you live will make some difference as well.All can vary so much,but I guess its good to get a general type idea.

Guest Guest75

Hiya

I don't think there is a good cost of living list knocking about.

Either way out of date or just plain wrong!!

Have a search around here in the forum, plenty of threads about it recently.

At least you are getting it from the horses mouth in here.

This lot came up from using the search + button .

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/search.php?searchid=672561

Guest kangomik

Everyone's list would be different mate. Shopping around for food does help, you don't buy everything in one shop over here like you do in the UK - well not if you want the best prices and product.

Other things you will find expensive and some things cheap, example phones and internet cost more here, but again you can shop around for a better deal.

It all relates to howe much you earn, it's dooable.

Use the search function, theres been a few threads on it lately.

I think a cost of living comparison is not worth doing, for starters, for arguments sake,

a loaf of bread is $2.5, you work that out to be about £1.60 with the current rate.

When we moved over the rate was good, $2.5 to the £, so that meant that a loaf was £1.

Now the cost of a loaf has not gone up, but working it back to uk £ it has risen by 50%!!!

you need to work it out as a percentage of your wage, you will be earning $$$'s not £££'s!

and a fluctuating exchange rate will make the cost of stuff rise and fall!!!!

I hope i have explained this properly, it makes sense in my head!! lol