Aged Parent Visa - Agent Advice Wanted

RJECSAUNDERS

Hi there,

My parents are seriously considering making the move over to SA to join my sister and I around the middle of 2012.

Mum will be 69 and Dad 74, and we are not sure which visa they should go for. They meet the family balance requirement and both are fit and healthy.

I would like to have a chat with a migration agent who can point us in the right direction of which visa and how we should apply. Can anyone reccomend anyone in or around Adelaide. Mum and Dad are relying on my sister and I to advise them and want to make sure that we make the right choices.

Thanks

Guest Jo&Phil

There is a professional association that lists them all https://www.mara.gov.au/agent/ARSearch.aspx?FolderID=394

though that might not help much.

I had a brief chat with Mark Glazbrook on recommendation of an Aussie friend who used to work with him and found him very friendly and approchable. Didn't need his help in the end but would have considered him if I had. He's in the Central Market area in the city. http://www.migrationsolutions.com.au/

Hi there,

My parents are seriously considering making the move over to SA to join my sister and I around the middle of 2012.

Mum will be 69 and Dad 74, and we are not sure which visa they should go for. They meet the family balance requirement and both are fit and healthy.

I would like to have a chat with a migration agent who can point us in the right direction of which visa and how we should apply. Can anyone reccomend anyone in or around Adelaide. Mum and Dad are relying on my sister and I to advise them and want to make sure that we make the right choices.

Thanks

Hi there

Before you talk to any migration agents, I recommend that you read the thread that I started below about this very topic. Please read the whole of the thread because there have been some significant developments since I started it nearly 3 years ago. As and when there has been anything significant to add, I have added it, but it is then necessary to read through the whole thing in order to make sure that your own information is up to date:

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/adelaide-migration-issues/4509-cheap-parent-visas-part-i.html

I started the thread because the parents of a dear friend of mine had been to see DIAC in Adelaide and were investigating the possibility of applying for the non-contributory Aged Parent visa subclass 804. I thought other people might benefit from what this couple and I had managed to discover.

The couple now live in Adelaide, on Bridging Visas, with their children and grandchildren close by and are thoroughly enjoying themselves. They applied for their APVs in about November 2009, having made 3 earlier, lengthy visits to Adelaide, so they were not strangers to the place or its way of life before they applied for their APVs and they had also made many friends of their own age. They say that they have a better social life in Adelaide than they had in the UK.

Is there anything in particular that you want to know? If so, it may be possible to answer your questions without the need for you to incur the costs of involving a migration agent? With Parent migration, there is very little to know, to be honest.

Cheers

Gill

• 2 weeks later...

Have had a read through the post as you suggested, and want to say thank you - very helpful.

Think this would be the best (and quickest) way for mum and dad to join us. I am right is assuming, they would come out on a tourist visa and then apply whilst they were here?

Thanks again for all you help and advice

Hi there

Before you talk to any migration agents, I recommend that you read the thread that I started below about this very topic. Please read the whole of the thread because there have been some significant developments since I started it nearly 3 years ago. As and when there has been anything significant to add, I have added it, but it is then necessary to read through the whole thing in order to make sure that your own information is up to date:

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/adelaide-migration-issues/4509-cheap-parent-visas-part-i.html

I started the thread because the parents of a dear friend of mine had been to see DIAC in Adelaide and were investigating the possibility of applying for the non-contributory Aged Parent visa subclass 804. I thought other people might benefit from what this couple and I had managed to discover.

The couple now live in Adelaide, on Bridging Visas, with their children and grandchildren close by and are thoroughly enjoying themselves. They applied for their APVs in about November 2009, having made 3 earlier, lengthy visits to Adelaide, so they were not strangers to the place or its way of life before they applied for their APVs and they had also made many friends of their own age. They say that they have a better social life in Adelaide than they had in the UK.

Is there anything in particular that you want to know? If so, it may be possible to answer your questions without the need for you to incur the costs of involving a migration agent? With Parent migration, there is very little to know, to be honest.

Cheers

Gill

Have had a read through the post as you suggested, and want to say thank you - very helpful.

Think this would be the best (and quickest) way for mum and dad to join us. I am right is assuming, they would come out on a tourist visa and then apply whilst they were here?

Thanks again for all you help and advice

Hi there

1. They would come to visit you, using a short stay visitor visa, with the sole intention of making nothing more than a short visit. It is unlawful to dupe the Australian Government into granting a short stay visitor visa unless its sole purpose is to facilitate a short visit to Australia. It is essential that both you and your parents understand this 100% please.

2. It has been known that some people (like my friend in Adelaide's parents) have arrived in Oz with nothing but a short visit in mind but AFTER their arrival in Oz, they have changed their minds. They have then made enquiries and have discovered that they would be eligible to make an onshore application for Aged Parent sc 804 visas.

3. So they have applied for Aged Parent visas. sending their application to the Parents Visa Centre in Perth. The PVC take 4-6 weeks to send a formal acknowledgement of the application but when they send it, they also confirm that a Bridging Visa A will come into effect automatically when the 90-day stay permitted by the short stay visitor visa expires.

I keep in touch with my friend and her parents in Adelaide by e-mail etc. Her parents have been living there on Bridging Visas since about December 2009. They had made 3 six-month visits to Adelaide before that so we knew that they loved the lifestyle. On their first visit, my friend Mary made them go to a bowls club near her house. Apparently a quite a large group of Seniors visit this club. They were about the same age as the others and the others fell on the newbies with cries of joy, made them feel welcome, taught them how to play lawn bowls and generally made friends with them both. That was brilliant because right from their earliest visit, they then had friends of their own out in Adelaide (with a very active social life by the sounds of it.)

Cheers

Gill

• 2 years later...

Hi Gill,

We have been reading your post with enthusiasm - thanks for such precise and excellent information. We hope to apply for 804 visa this time when we are in Oz. Our daughter has lived there for 3 years now. I have been looking everywhere to find out if we will be able to buy a house and live in it while we are on a bridging visa A. Are you able to help us with the answer. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Roger&Jane

Hi Roger & Jane,

Having lived in Adelaide for 3 years after purchasing a parent Visa, which incidentally took over a year to get, we are now permanent residents but living back in the UK.

My understanding is that you can now buy property to live in, or alternately rent which many people do. It used to be the case that permission had to be applied for to buy a property on a temporary Visa, but I am sure that has now finished.

I should point out that in order to be issued with a Visa you will need to satisfy all of the requirements, such as family test and health, so if you are thinking of applying for an onshore visa it would probably be best to rent in the first instance antil you were sure that you qualified.

Hi Gill,

We have been reading your post with enthusiasm - thanks for such precise and excellent information. We hope to apply for 804 visa this time when we are in Oz. Our daughter has lived there for 3 years now. I have been looking everywhere to find out if we will be able to buy a house and live in it while we are on a bridging visa A. Are you able to help us with the answer. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Roger&Jane

I googled this & apparently you need to read the regulations of the Foreign Investment Review Board if you are not yet Permanent residents.