Has anyone gone to Oz minus visa and waited there for it?

Guest mossmac

Guest mossmac

Hi everyone,

Has anyone got fed up with waiting for their visa, gone to Oz without it and waited for it out there? If so, can you still go out on one-way flights or do you have to have return flights? Also, what would you do if you did get your visa granted whilst out there?

John and Sarah

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Pretty sure you have to be "off shore" when your visa is granted and I think there are complicatons if your are applying for one visa type and then another. As you would need a visa of some sort to enter the country

sarah

Guest karenuk

hi john and sarah

sarah on the above post is spot on you cant be in oz when the visa is granted

we are waiting for our visa and it seems to be taking ages so know why your fed up

but seems we have a have lots of patience

Guest Amelia&Fred

you can still go to Aus whilst the visa is in process ... but MUST leave when they grant it ... we are going to be there next week ... when the agents have been notified that the visa will be granted we have to fly to NZ to get the visa and then we can come back in .. lovely

Guest Wicker

You can get your visa if it's a 457 temp when your in Australia, waiting for ours but if not through by date we fly will go over on holiday visa and get our visa when we're there, think this is the only one that you can do this with.

Guest mossmac
You can get your visa if it's a 457 temp when your in Australia, waiting for ours but if not through by date we fly will go over on holiday visa and get our visa when we're there, think this is the only one that you can do this with.

Hi Wicker,

Do you know if it might be the same for a temporary 495 visa (State Sponsored)? That's what we've applied to get. Interesting that you can get your 457 temp visa whilst in Australia.

Sarah

Guest Wicker
Hi Wicker,

Do you know if it might be the same for a temporary 495 visa (State Sponsored)? That's what we've applied to get. Interesting that you can get your 457 temp visa whilst in Australia.

Sarah

Hi Sarah, I'm not too sure about that, we are going on a temporary long stay business visa, I got the job through clinical one agency, it was their migration agent that told us. We might go on a holiday visa anyway as it will give me longer to get organised and get the kids settled into school, I have to start work 2 weeks after arriving in Adelaide if I go on the 457 visa. We have booked our flights for 15th May, don't know how it's all going to come together??? Cheers.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi Sarah, I'm not too sure about that, we are going on a temporary long stay business visa, I got the job through clinical one agency, it was their migration agent that told us. We might go on a holiday visa anyway as it will give me longer to get organised and get the kids settled into school, I have to start work 2 weeks after arriving in Adelaide if I go on the 457 visa. We have booked our flights for 15th May, don't know how it's all going to come together??? Cheers.
check your school fees if you are going to put your kids to schol on a holiday visa.

sarah

Guest Wicker

Thanks Sarah, but won't be putting kids to school for a few weeks, only planning to use holiday visa for a couple of weeks, then acitvate our 457. Cheers.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Yes I am a nurse, work on a general surgical ward, only been qualified couple of years and really looking forward to nursing in Australia.

I thought nurses were given PR visas? I one I know who wasnt (had a shonky agent) is now in the process of getting hers transfered. Is this not the case for you?

sarah

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Ok Wicker, I was interested as a nurse the other day had been telling me about visas for nurses, are the temp ones quicker?

sarah

Hi there,

We too had looked at coming over before our visa was granted and were told that in order for a visa to be granted you had to be out of the country you were applying for, which meant ie. going to NZ and coming back again.

The complications with this are that you have to pay more than the average for schooling, you can't buy anything on tick or mortgages etc.

We too were getting rather impatient, but all comes good in the end, I can say this with hand on heart, your visa will arrive when the time is right, I wanted it to come quicker, but now in hindsight I can safely say it came when we and the rest of our family were emotionally ready.

So try not to rush things too much, what's the hurry, enjoy your time left with family and friends, before you have them for 6 weeks at a time!

Good luck with whatever you decide (from someone who was seriously considering the same as you and so glad they waited!)

Guest Wicker

Hi Sarah, I am no expert on visas, we have been told that we can expect our visa in the next couple of weeks, but we CAN definately get our 457 when in Australia. If you have a look on www.immi.gov.au/immigration it tells you what visas are available for nurses. Go to visa & immigration, then the workers link, then a section for nurses. Hope this helps, Cheers.

Guest mossmac

Thanks everyone for your comments. As we were granted our visa today (YIPPEE!) we won't be contemplating going to Oz minus visa and waiting after all. I have to say though that if our visa HAD taken much longer we would almost certainly have gone out there and flown over to New Zealand when our visa was issued to have it put in our passports, and then flown back again. Just so glad the long wait is finally over!

Sarah

Jan ’07 – Decided we wanted to go and live in Australia!

Feb ’07 – Teaching skills assessment sent off.

Apr ’07 – Teaching skills approved.

May 21st ’07 – Applied for South Australia sponsorship online.

July 12th ’07 – Received sponsorship from South Australia.

July 20th ’07 – Online visa application sent off.

Oct 30th ’07 – Case officer allocated.

Nov 20th ’07 – Medicals done and police checks sent.

Feb 18th ’08 – Medical done for our new baby.

Apr 16th '08 - Visa Granted (YIPPEE!!)